Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I want to change the jets in my bike?

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800

I want to change the jets in my bike?

I have a ZXR250 and want to change the Jets in it as it's clear it's running lean up top . the main jets are 122 and 125
    1st question is. where should i get jets for it
    2nd question is. what increaments shall i go up in +3's +5 +10s any ideas ? i m sure im not the first person to change the jets

Any thoughts guys

Thanks

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Try lifting the needles first.

This is an exaggerated view, but basically you take the needle out of the slide, move the little circlip down one groove towards the point and refit to slide. Do it to all carbs and then run the bike.
    By lifting the needle, you are kind of making the jet bigger, since the taper of the needle doesn't sit as far into the main jet.
    Last edited by MSTRS; 17th December 2010 at 15:35.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Anniversary (99) VFR 800
    i didn't take the needles out last week when i took them apart. i didn't think they were adjustable but i dont know. I im guessing i could up a washer under it to lift it up. That seems a bit dodge though?

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    iirc, the needle is good for mid range, while the jet size governs full throttle, and the slow jet is for the bottom. However changing the main jet will require you to adjust the needles anyway.

Just looking through my jet kit for the bros.
    step 1) select best main jet, it'll pull the hardest a top end (will probly run rough as guts till it gets there.
    step 2) set needle position (midrange upwards) gotta pull hard to the upper range when the engine is hot or cold, again low will be rough.
    step 3) float height so no stumbling (missing) between 2-3k at full throttle
    step 4) fuel screw....

so to come to the point of it all, does it have the original exhaust and intake? if so, you shouldn't need to re-jet unless the old ones are worn out (assuming nobody else has fucked with them), if it is different you probably need to rejet, in the above order.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Crashed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    I'm guessing I could up a washer under it to lift it up. That seems a bit dodge though?
    Not 'dodge'. But it will richen the midrange.

What actually makes you think it's lean up top, anyway?
    If it wasn't for a concise set of rules, we might have to resort to common sense!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasonic2 View Post
    i didn't take the needles out last week when i took them apart. i didn't think they were adjustable but i dont know. I im guessing i could up a washer under it to lift it up. That seems a bit dodge though?
    I could be wrong, but most m/c needles I've seen have 5 grooves with a circlip in one of them to set the needle height. Circlip is commonly in groove 3 x factory. Mostly, the needle just drops through a hole in the slide, the circlip dictating how far. Different carbs have different ways of holding the needle down, once it's in the slide.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Spacing the needles isn't going to help if it's too lean right up top, the needle will be fully clear of the jet by then.

Why is it too lean and how do you know? What year is it? Is it a zxr250a/c? Is it restricted (93 onwards or 18,000rpm redline)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    He's talking about a flat spot (or chugging) at around 4000rpm. Lifting the needles is right. At least to start with...

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    He's talking about a flat spot (or chugging) at around 4000rpm. Lifting the needles is right. At least to start with...
    I can only see him saying it's lean up top? Have I been on a Honda so long my eyes are giving up?
    Last edited by ducatilover; 17th December 2010 at 16:11. Reason: Spelling was shit
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I van only see him saying it's lean up top? Have I been on a Honda so long my eyes are giving up?
    same here?? also 4000 on a zxr is closer to low than mid too init?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Why not take it to someone who knows this shit.
    Ask them to explain what they did and why.

That way you'll learn something without all the grief.
    They may also diagnose an entirly different issue.

DON'T take it to 'my mate (who sez...)'

That will be all
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    I can only see him saying it's lean up top?
    Oh - sorry - I'm following on in this thread from discussion/s here

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    ahhh, so there is different headers and muffler, if these have been done without a full rejet it probably needs one, if they were done by somebody who doesn't know what they were doing, it probly needs a full rejet.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Dyno it with an exhaust gas analyzer up the pipe and go from there.

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    KTM 1190 Adv R and a bunch of dirties
    Try this site - but may be a little too big for the two fiddy.

http://rpmware.com/tag/jet-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Thread Information