Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Buy from NZ? I tried but come on...

Bike
    GSXR1000

Buy from NZ? I tried but come on...

I just imported some stuff from the states for my bike and a friends. While I made some decent savings on my stuff, it was the part I got for my friend that blew me away. Honda want to charge over $600 for the seat cover for a 2009 CBR1000RR. That's $600+ for a piece of plastic smaller than the cover of a magazine. Yes it comes painted and with decals. However I bought the same part for him from America for US$164 (NZ$210), add on shipping, customs and GST it still came out at being under half price.

Seriously. It's a fucking joke. I know it's not the dealers who set the price (thanks Blue Wing) but $600 for a fucking piece of plastic? After this experience (took less than 2wks to get here right on xmas time) I know I'll be looking overseas first. Sure I'll still look at NZ suppliers, but I won't be wasting any time if I find a similar situation to what I've just experienced.

So yes Robert Taylor and other staunch supporters of buying locally, I'd love to keep my money in NZ, keeping NZ'ers in jobs, keeping the NZ economy ticking along, but if it stays like this the only NZ companies I'll be supporting will be couriers.

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Would a local trimmer/upholstery company have been able to do something similar, (or even better) with that type of cash outlay?
    McDonalds seats would build a new seat for $600.
    Just saying

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    Would a local trimmer/upholstery company have been able to do something similar, (or even better) with that type of cash outlay?
    McDonalds seats would build a new seat for $600.
    Just saying
    To the degree of quality and finish of the OEM part? As a one off? For less than $300?

Here is what I'm talking about.

Bike
    05 Kawasaki ZX6RR
    Ha i went into our local honda agent (very grudgingly) to price up an airbox lid for one of my cbrs, the price was astronomical for a simple bit of plastic so i didnt bother with it.
    ended up getting my old one repaired (amazingly well) for about 40 bux

Bike
    Cagiva Navigator 1000
    The exchange rate is on our side right now so it makes sense to buy overseas. I buy a lot of stuff via the internet, especially OEM stuff. Its just way cheaper.

All very well to promote the NZ companies and suppliers, but if they are going to overprice themselves, then there is competition at our fingertips.
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've just high-sided!
    مافي مشكلة

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    This is the hard plastic cover used to hide the pillion seat, and not a vinyl replacement seat covering?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    This is the hard plastic cover used to hide the pillion seat, and not a vinyl replacement seat covering?
    Yes, well not 'hide the seat' as the seat is taken off to put the plastic cover on.

Bike
    SF
    Man, even $300 seems expensive for a seat cowl to me

Bike
    GL1800
    Great info, cheers
    "If you haven't grown up by the time you turn 50, you don't have to!"

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    So yes Robert Taylor and other staunch supporters of buying locally, I'd love to keep my money in NZ, keeping NZ'ers in jobs, keeping the NZ economy ticking along, but if it stays like this the only NZ companies I'll be supporting will be couriers.
    Im a Staunch supporter............until its stoopid.
    I reckon always at least try local first.

Its a rock na hard place for both the customers and the shops, its not a good situation currently for either parties, we all just have to do our best for our personal finances, families and business.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Yes, well not 'hide the seat' as the seat is taken off to put the plastic cover on.
    Thought so. So a motor trimmer/seat recoverer couldn't help.
    You'd need a blank (good luck with finding one), or one off a wreck, then new decals (genuine $$$, replica $) and a spraypainter who knows his stuff...plastic primers, colour matching et al. Still cheaper than 'NZ new' - but maybe much the same as your purchase from the States?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Yamaha XV250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bombsquad View Post
    Ha i went into our local honda agent (very grudgingly) to price up an airbox lid for one of my cbrs, the price was astronomical for a simple bit of plastic so i didnt bother with it.
    ended up getting my old one repaired (amazingly well) for about 40 bux
    I have also dealt with the Honda dealer locally and found their prices were astronomical. I have been getting Honda bits in from The Honda dealer in Sidney at half the price and half the delivery time. And thats allowing for freight and exchange rates.

The biggest disapointment with the local dealer is that they didn't want to try to locate parts. The alternator gasket the local dealer said did not exist, was in my letterbox 5 days after confirming my order with Sidney Motorcycles. And that was in the week leading up to xmas.
    " Rule books are for the Guidance of the Wise, and the Obedience of Fools"

Bike
    All of them
    Hearsay is that they are going to change the excise and tax rules to stop the cash drain.

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
    Hearsay is that they are going to change the excise and tax rules to stop the cash drain.
    Isn't the only cash drain a reduction in cash to the government coffers?

Bike
    1990 Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Isn't the only cash drain a reduction in cash to the government coffers?
    Hardly.

Bike shops aren't closing in droves because they're sick of making money...
    Can I believe the magic of your size... (The Shirelles)

Thread Information