Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer assistance please.....

Bike
    A Cage
    Macs all need to die ..

I've used alot of macs over the years.. from an Apple IIe, to an LC3, Imac, all the way up to G5's, and I still cant stand the freaking things.

Apple very nearly died, but has had a huge comeback, much to my dissapointment. They are overpriced, look like arse, and until OSX had the worlds shittiest OS on them (and no I'm not a diehard windows fan, I just think MacOS was worse than windoze)..

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2
    Mac's aren't immune to viruses, and it it is now vulnerable to the same suite of exploits as BSD.

The ONLY reason Microsoft OSes get hit so hard is that it is the most "popular" OS, and therefore has a bigger range of tool sets for script weenies to package up a "virus". Once Apple migrate to an Intel CPU platform, the script kiddies will start on OSX (or whatever version of OS Apple is running).
    Don't think that is true, *nix boxes have been designed to allow multiusers since the dawn of time and hvae always needed a good security model to help prevent people from doing no good. Windoze on the other hand was designed for one person and has only in recent years had any sort of real semi security model. This fundamental difference has made it much easy to write and implement malware for windoze.

So yes it is partly why attack a fortified castle (*nixes) when there's one with the gates wide open.

Linux also runs on x86 processes and doesn't have anywhere near the number of script Kiddies attacking it. I would guess Linux and Mac OS X would be more comparable to each other on an intel chipset than windoze.
    Life is difficult because it is non-linear.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunt
    Don't think that is true, *nix boxes have been designed to allow multiusers since the dawn of time and hvae always needed a good security model to help prevent people from doing no good..
    So yes it is partly why attack a fortified castle (*nixes) when there's one with the gates wide open.

Linux also runs on x86 processes and doesn't have anywhere near the number of script Kiddies attacking it. I would guess Linux and Mac OS X would be more comparable to each other on an intel chipset than windoze.
    True , *nix has pretty good security. IF (note, IF) it is set up correctly then even if you receive a virus , it's not going to be able to do much. No root permissions and such like. Which is actually the main reason why *nix (and mac) don't get attacked much. The "more of them" argument is valid, BUT- given that Unix boxes are almost certainly going to be doing big and visible stuff, if you were a virus punk, which would give you the biggest cred with your follow scum-suckers - bringing down Mrs Smith's PC (which you don't even know about) , or bringing down the Unix server that runs operations for a nation wide bank - and getting heaps and heaps of news publicity to show your mates ? If attacking *nix was easy , it would be done more often.

But - remember that IF ? I have lost track of the number of Linux users I have encountered who always log on as root. Do that, and your security isn't worth a hoot. No better than Windows. So *nix can't be assumed to be secure.

Don't know enough about the security interface in Mac to comment on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Thread Information