Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Freeview

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    I ran freeview on a old UHF/VHF aerial but it went a bit crap after a few months - some bugger must have erected something in the way!

I got a new UHF one from the Freeview shop http://www.freeviewshop.co.nz/terres...ials-c-11.html if you have good reception the cheap on is fine - in fact mine is so good that you can point it anyway!

One note I had it on a extension pole but that came down with the chimney in the quake - wrecked the stays so it wobbled in the wind - this stuffs up your reception. Solution - I popped the aerial in the roof space, works well.

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    I could always buy this http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=617682. This one supports DVB-T and DVB-S

Or this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/C...-344702564.htm
    Stay away from card number 2. Card number 1 is PCI 1 only
    Quote Originally Posted by Mully
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Bike
    Your mom
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Stay away from card number 2. Card number 1 is PCI 1 only
    The Happauge is a bit pricey, but I'm prepared to fork out for it since it's something I'm likely to keep for a few years.

I could probably use Windows Media Center to record the shows as well.

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    The Happauge is a bit pricey, but I'm prepared to fork out for it since it's something I'm likely to keep for a few years.

I could probably use Windows Media Center to record the shows as well.
    That's what I use to be honest. Check your Motherboard. Not all Motherboards have a PCIE 1 slot anymore. IE, if you look at the pic you will see the contacts aare on a very short length of the card.
    The mind boggles.

Unless you were pillioning the sheep - which is more innocent I suppose (but no less baffling)

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I use hauppauge and windows media centre in win7. Be aware those basic splitters from DSE lose a lot of the signal. I need to sort out signal strength as TV and PC don't get enough when both are working.

UHF aerial for Freeview HD, once you have it up and running you'll start learning about EPG.

Bike
    my little pony
    Satelite with a dish (other than sky) is digital high quality.

Terrestrial with a UHF antenna is digital High Def.

Freeview with satelite is not HD.

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    I use hauppauge and windows media centre in win7. Be aware those basic splitters from DSE lose a lot of the signal. I need to sort out signal strength as TV and PC don't get enough when both are working.

UHF aerial for Freeview HD, once you have it up and running you'll start learning about EPG.
    Oh yes. Set up EPG BEFORE you scan transponders. My freeview box has a passthrough which I assume must be powered as I lose almost no signal. Having said that, I am rural and for some reason rural folk get BIG LNB's
    The mind boggles.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    No freeview box here. TV has it built in, and hauppauge card decodes.

Bike
    Your mom
    That's what I use to be honest. Check your Motherboard. Not all Motherboards have a PCIE 1 slot anymore. IE, if you look at the pic you will see the contacts aare on a very short length of the card.
    I'll have to wait until I build up my AM3 rig before I can fit a PCI-E card in because my SLI setup is taking up all the room.

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    I'll have to wait until I build up my AM3 rig before I can fit a PCI-E card in because my SLI setup is taking up all the room.
    Nonononononononono. You misunderstand. Yes it is PCIE but not as you know it. It is a different form factor PCIE and will not fit in your normal slot.
    The mind boggles.

Bike
    SF
    So, why not the USB2.0 device I suggested earlier?

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Because that would make sense.

Actually, given the choice, I would use an internal. The USB will use the CPU to decode/encode etc whereas the internal should (with the right card) do that onboard.
    The mind boggles.

Bike
    Your mom
    Nonononononononono. You misunderstand. Yes it is PCIE but not as you know it. It is a different form factor PCIE and will not fit in your normal slot.
    I know that video cards and TV tuner cards use a different kind of PCI-E slot, but since both of my video cards are double slot cards they cover the other PCI-E slots so I can't physically fit a PCI-E TV tuner card in there. I should have a my new rig built up in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    That was my next thought. I think USB2.0 should be fast enough to allow a similar picture and sound quality compared to PCI-E. USB2 usually has a read speed of 35-40MB/s which should be plenty for the TV tuner to allow all the "quality" to get through.

Bike
    2001 GSX1200
    Really? Wikipedia, which matches my prior understanding, says all versions up to the latest 3.0 (which is as yet uncommon) are backward compatible, and any card should fit in a longer (more lanes) slot.

I'm not sure which (version or size) you're talking about, as you refer to the length of connector while saying not all have a particular slot 'any more'. Are you saying it's a 1.0 card or a x1 card?

Richard

Bike
    2023 MT 09 SP
    Quote Originally Posted by rwh View Post
    Really? Wikipedia, which matches my prior understanding, says all versions up to the latest 3.0 (which is as yet uncommon) are backward compatible, and any card should fit in a longer (more lanes) slot.

I'm not sure which (version or size) you're talking about, as you refer to the length of connector while saying not all have a particular slot 'any more'. Are you saying it's a 1.0 card or a x1 card?

Richard
    The card pictured is a x1
    The mind boggles.

Thread Information