Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: NZ speed limit 100kph?

Bike
    Ducati V4S Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoristheBiter View Post
    Go dirt, no speed limit.

See what 100km/h feels like at woodhill.
    Good point. I have only done dirt biking once and it was fantastic fun. I doubt the Hayabusa would look too good with knobbly tires on it

Bike
    Something red and quick
    Quote Originally Posted by akoni View Post
    the reason i asked those is because ive seen bigbikes on motorways..
    and i keep on asking how do they enjoy their powerful bikes capable of doing
    twice the speed limit.
    It is half the enjoyment indeed, but 100% more than no enjoyment for being stuck in an SUV.
    Elite Fight Club - Proudly promoting common sense and safe riding since 2024
    http://1199s.wordpress.com

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    hi

im 2weeks new to NZ, currently im driving car here in mt wellington auckland
    but im a motorcycle fanatic back home.

i love riding mc, my question is since NZ have speed limit of 50kph on street
    and 100kph on hiways , is it boring to ride a bigbikes with maximum speed of 100kph only?

how do you ride your bikes and maximimized and enjoy the the 600cc and above bikes if the max speed limit allowed is only 100kph?

please enlighten me..

thanks
    Doing even 50kph here on a large sports bike is not that boring. There's the local wildlife to avoid in the form of oncomming examples on your side of the road. Tarmac that melts in 23 degrees C. Extensive gravel sections on the main state highways. A delightful 'official' custom of resealing the roads with a comprehensive covering of type 1A ball bearing gravel and omit to sweep the surplus off. The Homer Tunnel - a main tourist route so you can be sure it's A1. An ongoing goverment promise to improve the roads and er . . .

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Quote Originally Posted by mrchips View Post
    +1

We are blessed with some beautifull scenery + plenty of hills, you don't have to go far to find some.

The low speed limits are there for a reason..... teenagers (they are the ones wrapped around lamposts).
    I'm not a teenager so fuck 'em

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    Good point. I have only done dirt biking once and it was fantastic fun. I doubt the Hayabusa would look too good with knobbly tires on it
    but the rooster tail would probly be visible from space!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    I ride at the speed limit everywhere. I just keep it in first gear and valve bounce down the road at 100kph.
    its great fun.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    yamaha 135cc
    Quote Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post

NZ is blessed with lots of hills, winding back roads and all sorts of places that you can go for a damned good hoon, through all the twisties, without actually going over the limit, and have a lot of fun still.

Id suggest yo use Kiwibiker to locate a bunch of other riders in your area, meet up, and go on some group rides. find out where everyone else goes to blow off some steam, find where those fun, back roads are that the cops never bother with because they are so desolate anyway.

Once again, welcome to NZ, enjoy your time here!!
    oh i see i thought NZ is full of motorways where you are stuck to 100kph speed for full day of riding, that makes me bored if thats true...

but now i know NZ has lots of twisties , heheheh
    100kph on twisties is already fast for me.

Is there such existing straight good road in NZ where you can full throttle
    your bigbike and test its maximum speed? is there any road exist here in NZ?

I ride at the speed limit everywhere. I just keep it in first gear and valve bounce down the road at 100kph.
    its great fun.
    now that will surely awaken me by the sound of the engine

heres sample video that we did back home.\
    its controlled risk though done on backroads (speed is around 100-140kph), lots of fun!
    but i believe runs like this cant be done on NZ, right?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okN4werzvr0&t=110

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Where are you from if riding a big bike at the legal speed limit isn't boring ?
    To be fair if he´s coming from mainland Europe NZ´s two lane highways can feel a bit slow, not boring at all though. 130 is a cruising speed in the "slow" right hand lane, if you want to get into a gap in the left lane you need to really put your foot down.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    The trick is not to go over 100 km/hr ... and not go under 100 km/hr ...

braking for corners is for learners ... right ... ???
    errr what are brakes???

Bike
    Suzuki GSXR600 K7
    I haven't read everyone elses comments, so this may have already been said, but...

New Zealand has some awesome winding roads where 100kms (or there abouts) is plenty of fun, if you get a bike go and check out roads like the forgotten highway (between taumaranui and stratford), and the road between wanganui and raetihi, as well as most of the north island east coast, and definitely down the west coast of the south island and all the passes down there... etc etc

Pretty much anywhere on our country roads there are enough corners and possible hazards that 100km aint that bad

but if you really want to twist the trottle there are plenty of track days held all over the country

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    errr what are brakes???
    Some thing that Yamahas have. While you still have that black 1300cc thing that you use as a loaner, try pulling on that lever thingy on the right hand handle bar. That sudden slowing down feeling is the brakes working.

Ducatis don't go fast enough to need them.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Sold
    hi all thanks for the response

i havent been to other places outside auckland
    but i guess ther must be some roads outside auckland thats long straigt road
    hours of riding.

if 100kph can be achived easily on a car using maybe less than 1/2 gas pedal,
    how much more on a bigbike?
    10seconds or less your one 100kph?
    and maintaining 100kph i on a r6/r1 bigbike i guess is on 1/4throttle or less.

dont you think that will make you sleep while riding on very long stretch road running 1/4 idle throttle and engine noise is like on idle noise?

the reason i asked those is because ive seen bigbikes on motorways..
    and i keep on asking how do they enjoy their powerful bikes capable of doing
    twice the speed limit.

just asking from a newbie in nz...
    Just read the signs, take their advice and "ride to the conditions"!
    (riding to the conditions means do not exceed statutory limit in the presence of a revenue collecting officer, I.E. one of these. )

Bike
    It was on the good
    Is there such existing straight good road in NZ where you can full throttle your bigbike and test its maximum speed? is there any road exist here in NZ?
    Do a search on "Coro Loop".

Quote Originally Posted by jonbuoy View Post
    To be fair if he´s coming from mainland Europe.....
    My money is on Africa.

Bike
    Custom Nifty-Fiity. SR71

As you hit the on-ramp

to the motorway, there is usually a 100 sign on each edge of the on-ramp. That's actually 200kph, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle View Post
    i just slammed my cock in the car door. Im going to complain to holden, as they didnt put a sign on the door advising me to either wear pants, or avoid slamming it on my penis.
    Fucksake. Hang yourself.

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    It does look like a Troll,Yamaha r6/r1 boring?

You don't need to go over a 100 to have fun on any bikes,get into some of the twisties!

Thread Information