Thread: NZ speed limit 100kph?

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    You can try these places for a bit of variation

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hillmarc/

Bike
    BMWR1100RS,
    All NZ roads are Toll roads, they are free to use,( providing you have paid the astronomic annual ACC bill), under the posted speed limit .The speed limit signs are actually the speed above which you have to start paying the police to use them, the faster you go the more you have to pay.

I think it would help all road users if they posted the Tolls with the speed signs to avoid confusion. 100kph :Free, 110kph: $60, 120kph $100 ,etc, that way you can travel at the speed you can afford on the day.

There is a cunning way of avoiding the Tolls though which I'm sure you will notice when you've been here a while. Apparently you can bank unused speed, for instance, if you travel in a 100kph zone at 70kph for mile after mile, you can bank the unused 30kph. This then gives you a choice, you can either...reach a passing lane and speed up to 115 kph so the poor bastards that have been stuck behind you forever still cannot get past you, or, (my particular favourite) On reaching a small town with a 50kph limit, you can sail through at your favourite 70kph, apparently with no penalty whatsoever.

Disclaimer: just in case you missed it all the above was a piss take, the posted speed limit is just that 'a limit' boring or not, exceed it at your own risk, for as we all know, travelling at 120kph on an open empty road will ultimately bring the world to an end, and/or make you a less wealthy person.
    Oh bugger

Bike
    96, HD1200 & others
    Blog Entries

Red face urm

Being a foreigner I am also told that if you coax sufficient sped out of your machine the local constabulary will offer to garage it for you for free

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UKDave S View Post
    Being a foreigner I am also told that if you coax sufficient sped out of your machine the local constabulary will offer to garage it for you for free
    No, you're wrong.

You have to pay to garage it. They don't offer either... It's an automatic service.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    No, you're wrong.

You have to pay to garage it. They don't offer either... It's an automatic service.
    Not true, - there are certain 'conditions' for that service

But they WILL take it to the garage for you, saves you the effort.

But then again, another cost though.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post

That's bloody nice of them. It took 2-3 days to sort a bike pickup the last time it needed one... and it was only 5km to the shop (ok, so I was hardly around, they were busy...)

I still paid for it too. Do you think I could ask the cops to collect my bike and take it down to the shop next time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Not true, - there are certain 'conditions' for that service

The "service's" that are offered/provided ... are usually dependant on attitude's at the time ... of either ... or both parties ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    yamaha 135cc
    hahaha free pickup of bike

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    I have passed a number of road works recently.
    Quite a few originally had 100 kph signs which have been replaced by the open road sign with the black slash.

Apart from the notorious temporarily speed limits which after 6 months become the same permanent limit.

Is this another bit of forward planning so the actual open road limit can be reduced (increased-lol) by the stroke of a pen by some bureaucrat you uses paid public transport to their air conditioned office in the middle of a overhyped city?

Seems to me that the open road limit is set to be reduced maybe after the next election

Am I the only one to notice this trend?

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    R100GSPD
    you are doing well.I have been travelling our fair isles for many yeears now,and i find quite often that i am not sure of the speed limit in force at any one time.There seems to be a different speed llimit sign be it 50,60,70 ,80 or 100 every few hunderd metres in and around any kind of settelement

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...it's more about the H&S scourge and the sustaining of the myriads of, "we are here to make you safe', companies and the economy than any plan by any govt organisation...it's all about jobs and a general population getting thicker by the year, doing fuck all about it...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by akoni View Post
    the reason i asked those is because ive seen bigbikes on motorways..
    and i keep on asking how do they enjoy their powerful bikes capable of doing
    twice the speed limit.

just asking from a newbie in nz...
    Sorry I took 8 years to reply. One can enjoy a big bike at twice the speed limit when the people who enforce said limit are asleep. Rural roads are generally not enforced at 2am on a Sunday... I've heard.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    I have passed a number of road works recently.
    Quite a few originally had 100 kph signs which have been replaced by the open road sign with the black slash.

Apart from the notorious temporarily speed limits which after 6 months become the same permanent limit.

Is this another bit of forward planning so the actual open road limit can be reduced (increased-lol) by the stroke of a pen by some bureaucrat you uses paid public transport to their air conditioned office in the middle of a overhyped city?

Seems to me that the open road limit is set to be reduced maybe after the next election

Am I the only one to notice this trend?
    Interesting. The government shot themselves in the foot when they stopped using the derestriction sign. There is an implied message when you use the stripey sign but stick numbers on and it obviously becomes a target. I bet lately that they have been kicking themselves when they realised that if they had left those signs up they could change the open road speed limit across the country at no cost. Clearly a lower open road speed limit is coming, TPTB cannot think beyond speed being the mother of all evil so I guess we will also see draconian levels of enforcement to try and get it to work. Realisation will one day sink in that roads free of death and serious injury won't happen while you let people move along them at anything more than walking pace.

I have not heard of renewed use of the derestriction sign down south but there are major changes afoot and you may well have spotted something. Either that or the road workers are just lazy cunts who cant be bothered seeing what the speed limit should be at the end of their work site.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    you are doing well.I have been travelling our fair isles for many yeears now,and i find quite often that i am not sure of the speed limit in force at any one time.There seems to be a different speed llimit sign be it 50,60,70 ,80 or 100 every few hunderd metres in and around any kind of settelement
    I remember traveling from Tauranga to Te Puke via scenic route. Suburbs etc there seemed to be changes in speed zones every corner. Dunno if this has improved recently.

Yes plenty of new open road speed signs.
    Or temp speed limit signs.
    They are obviously getting the H&S message re signage.

Still far too many impatient drivers out there. Seen plenty of near missed lately with people driving through intersections once they deemed they had been there long enough regardless of the give way rules.
    about 10 events I have seen - all at or below walking pace. All person impatient drove out directly in front of others. They just pushed their way out. I would have hated to have seen a bike rider being involved with those losers.

Expecting 90 open road limit. With drops to 30 or 40 in around towns.
    The message is really move away from central akl and welly etc

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by eldog View Post
    Expecting 90 open road limit. With drops to 30 or 40 in around towns.
    Bet you $5 it will be 80km/h.

Thread Information