Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Keep Wellington's motorcycle parking free - sign the petition!

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Visser View Post
    Hi all,

Riders need to understand that they are competing with increasing numbers of other riders and drivers for access to limited on-road space. Riders should see the Council as the "referee", not the opponent. The game is working out where best each party should park to carry out their desired activity, within a very constrained playing field, and then applying the 3Es (engineering, education & enforcement) to get all the parties to play safely & fairly with each other. Even in sports, each team may only have a certain number of players on the field (even though there is plenty of room for more :-). What can you do to "win"? Understand the constraints of the playing field, then look at the needs of your competitors and find a "better" solution for them...

Kind regards,

Jon Visser
    Infrastructure Performance Manager
    Wellington City Council
    Cool to see you back -thought you'd gone into 'council cloud'

Good post - One of the biggest hindrences to MC parking is not being allowed on pavements or other similar areas. Now motorised parking on P's is against the road code but are there ways for facilities on wide pavements (crt pl near Saatchi's) which wouldn't obstruct pedestrain flow.

Also are there initiatives the MC community could help WCC and W public generally (ie masive earthquake or tsuami.) - hypothec of course.

As a personal view I appreciate the concept of mini bike parks -the extra noticed have really helped and cut down no end of time doing circuits and bumps

Bike
    '74 MV Augusta I wish
    Blog Entries
    Posssible aid to motorcycle parking - park nose to curb not paralllel

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...freethenfined/

Bike
    Honda VT250
    Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    One of the biggest hindrences to MC parking is not being allowed on pavements or other similar areas. Now motorised parking on P's is against the road code but are there ways for facilities on wide pavements (crt pl near Saatchi's) which wouldn't obstruct pedestrain flow.
    Our goal is to ensure that there are places on the road that are available for casual parking of motorcycles and scooters, so that there is no need to park on the footpath. Footpaths are used for a lot of things, not just walking from A to B, and stationary motorcycles do get in the way of those other activities even if riders do not realise this. It is not just the space, but also the ability to get safely in & out.

Quote Originally Posted by cheshirecat View Post
    Also are there initiatives the MC community could help WCC and W public generally (ie masive earthquake or tsuami.) - hypothec of course.
    Yes - off-road vehicles like trailbikes may come in useful for carrying out damage assessments or to relay communications when roads become inaccessible. In the past we have had nothing formal in place as trying to contact a long list of individuals (some of whom may be incapacitated or not have access to phones themselves) is difficult under those circumstances. However, if there is an off-road/trailbiking club that our Wellington Emergency Management Office can include on its "useful contacts list" (especially those in the Hutt or Porirua) that would be great (in fact, we may have this already). WEMO can then deal with just the club (if reachable) and the club can then locate its people and advise WEMO what resources are available and how they can be contacted. We're doing the same with taxi companies & 4WD clubs - if someone can send me a PM with contact details that would be great.

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries
    Shameless bump guys.

We present the epetition to WCC tomorrow.

Simon
    BRONZ Wellington Media Liaison
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries

Bike
    Aprilia Shiver 750, Suzuki RG150E
    Jon has posted a thread about WCC clamping down on parking...
    Moderators may want to move it here...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...g?p=1130092238

"...you meet the weirdest people riding a Guzzi !!..."

Bike
    2010 CB 1000 R, 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nudemetalz View Post
    Jon has posted a thread about WCC clamping down on parking...
    Moderators may want to move it here...
    nah mate no need to merge the threads it would break the continuity of both thread chains

Jon has another thread somewhere here that we can place 'requests' to consider spots as officially sanctioned bike parks

I saw the new spaces appearing in the Featherston St side roads and was very much impressed with the positive response from Council to our efforts to work with them in finding a workable solution to decreasing curb space and increasing bike numbers
    Just ride.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Thumbs up

Now that sounds positively Positive! nice work there those who were behind the scenes.
    And to Jon, many thanks for listening and making changes where you can.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Scorpio, 2008
    Having looked around online I can't seem to find any information on if motorcycle parking is still free in Wellington, do any of you know if it still is? And if so, are there any places to park around Wellington station?
    Apologies for the bump. Cheers!

Bike
    red one & a blue one
    Quote Originally Posted by ELectronicFlesh View Post
    are there any places to park around Wellington station?
    Yip, if you get in early there are plenty of free designated motorcycle parking.... http://wellington.govt.nz/~/media/ma...le-parking.pdf
    Supersize Me

Thread Information