Thread: Fibreglass coverage

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R

Fibreglass coverage

I need to glass an area a little under a m^2.

Would the 1kg kit here be sufficient?

Bike
    Bikes!
    How long is a piece of string? 2m of 300gsm is good for some square metre jobs, not for others.

Bike
    r6,drz400sm
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    How long is a piece of string? 2m of 300gsm is good for some square metre jobs, not for others.
    helpfull as always...
    what are you glassing mate?

Bike
    Bikes!
    He's been here long enough to know how to ask a question properly. If he was making a fairing for a minimoto, then it would be more than enough... if he is making something that has to support a persons weight at 300km/h, then not even close.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    I have to admit the question was rather lacking in the detail required to answer.

Finishing off a spearfishing plat. Think floating fish bin.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Interesting... does it need to take any weight? How strong does it need to be? I see the pics on the net of them, but not sure what they do. Is it somewhere to stash the fish you've caught?

That amount of resin should see you right, but I would get them to throw another couple of metres of CSM in so you can reinforce it as you see fit. You can use things like strips of balsa to add strength (think honeycomb construction on a fighter jet).

You can also get CSM at Bunnings, should you need some in a hurry. It's not cheap by wholesale standards, but it's not obscenely expensive either.

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Yeah to store fish.

The major part of my "vessel" is a slightly modified kayak.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1180717.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	582.7 KB 
ID:	229610

The glass will be holding a couple of "pipes" on to the side to store non fish things in such as food and a cell phone/flare etc.

The net suggests that the plastic of the kayak will bond if suitably roughed up and cleaned prior.

Bike
    r6,drz400sm
    Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Yeah to store fish.

The major part of my "vessel" is a slightly modified kayak.

Name:	P1180717.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	582.7 KB 
ID:	229610

The glass will be holding a couple of "pipes" on to the side to store non fish things in such as food and a cell phone/flare etc.

The net suggests that the plastic of the kayak will bond if suitably roughed up and cleaned prior.
    hey mate,polyester resin will bond to the plastic if you really rough the bonding surface up but not forever,its a rule in the trade,nothing sticks to plastic.

epoxy will last alot longer but you'l have to change from csm to a woven type of fiberglass,id recomend "Boat cloth",two layers of 300gram boat cloth will be more than enough.
    But to be honest id sooner recomend pvc saddels to fix your pipes to the shell and use a marine grade sealant/glue,like "sika flex" and pot rivets.

just an idea,it would be cheaper,faster and strong.
    cheers

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Quote Originally Posted by dilz View Post
    hey mate,polyester resin will bond to the plastic if you really rough the bonding surface up but not forever,its a rule in the trade,nothing sticks to plastic.

epoxy will last alot longer but you'l have to change from csm to a woven type of fiberglass,id recomend "Boat cloth",two layers of 300gram boat cloth will be more than enough.
    But to be honest id sooner recomend pvc saddels to fix your pipes to the shell and use a marine grade sealant/glue,like "sika flex" and pot rivets.

just an idea,it would be cheaper,faster and strong.
    cheers
    Went with epoxy and 200g cloth.

Was thinking similar, but this is partly to have a play with fibreglass rather than just getting to the end solution.

Mixed up a little too much resin in one go the first time today, there must be a volume when the exothermic properties of the stuff gets to a point of no return. 120ml of resin doesn't go off whilst using, but when I made up 250 it went off all of a sudden in a smoking very hot very short time frame.

Learning a bit, some by trial and error and some through the net.

Bike
    Bikes!
    dilz is on to it... mould 'around' it so even if the bonds breaks it can't float away.

Measure the epoxy out evenly on some scales, if you mess it up it'll give you trouble for sure.

Trial an error is always fun, but I can't recommend enough getting some data sheets from your supplier. They will definitely have them, and they have all sorts of little details about cup time, ambient, ratios etc etc

would drilling holes into the surface your wanting to bond the fiberglass to be a good idea? like key it in really well?

Thats what I did with my fairing repair, came out really really good.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    KTM 690 DUKE R
    Only yellow (permission apparently) spray paint that they had.

Name:	P2030724.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	230851

Name:	P2030723.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	230852

Name:	P2030725.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	243.4 KB 
ID:	230853

Name:	P2030722.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	230854

Floats well and is easy to tow, even in the 50 knots and 1m swell we had in Taupo over the weekend.

Thread Information