Thread: RG150 tacho problems

Bike
    1998 Suzuki RG150

RG150 tacho problems

Hi All

I have a problem with my Suzuki RG150 Tacho.....It doesn't work

I have taken the dash apart and given it a good clean out with contact cleaner. (its all electronic in the back)
    I have tried to find where the other end of the wire goes but It goes into the wiring loom and disappears.
    Does it take its measurements from the gearbox or the CDI unit or somewhere else?

Totally lost. Any help would be appreciated

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Does it not work at all? or does it just flicker around all over the place?

if it flickers around or is inconsistant try replace your battery or try borrow someone elses to see if it fixes the problem. this will also help the bike to run better as the powervalves will open and close as they should.

Bike
    1998 Suzuki RG150
    Cool Idea.
    The tacho fluctuated before Christmas but then the bike was put away for a couple of weeks and now it wont work at all. The battery may have gone flat over that time....

I have a mate who can test the battery. I will do that now and let ya know. cheers

Bike
    I quickly googled your bike (btw this turned up - might be a good last resort if needed:http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Mo...-347151075.htm) and it looks like the dash has a few lights such as neutral indicator and whatever. Is everything else working - i.e. the various other dash lights, the speedo, etc?

If the problem is ONLY the tach, you need to be looking for a broken wire or faulty ignition system - look at point 5 of this post, "check the common causes."

Tach wiring has to get from the ignition system to the dash - check the wiring through the steering mounts and down to the ignition to make sure it isn't pinched or broken along there somewhere.

If the wiring checks out OK, you can try point 6 here - "swapping out" the CDI or dash if you have access to known working parts. If you swap your dash onto another bike and the tacho still doesn't work, it's the dash. If you swap your iginiton onto another bike and that bike's tacho stops working it's your CDI unit. If your dash and ignition behave fine on another bike it's your bike's wiring or connections.

If other electrickery operated things have problems too, it could be the battery or charging system, i.e. something more systemic - in that case refer to point 3, "check your charging system"

HTH

Bike
    1998 Suzuki RG150
    Thanks for the links and info allun

Upon checking the battery (which was flat and showing a voltage of less than 6v) we discovered that the charging system was not working due to a faulty Regulator/Rectifier. I will sort out this problem first then sort out the tacho if it has not come right with the other fixes.

Will keep you posted.

Bike
    Nice. You hopefully will find that the tacho was just a symptom of the charging system fault and nothing else is wrong :-)

Good work!

Bike
    KTM 250exc
    Good stuff fellas sounds like good progress

Thread Information