Thread: Trials starts up again, first ride today.

Bike
    offroad

Trials starts up again, first ride today.

Looking forward to it this year and to catch up with people. Lots on this year.

Bike
    Yamaha TZR 5o, Beta evo 2010

Smile

So how did it go, lost a heap of points and could not balance after xmas?

Well that was my story last weekend.

Did you go to the Air Cooled round today,the Brian Barnsley Memorial Trial? It was on my list of things to do on Sunday,I might have gone if it was wet...but riding a trial in this weather is punishing,and the ground unforgiving.

I did my comeback trial last year at the Xmas Trial,I hadn't ridden a trial for almost 3 years,and was pretty worried about how I would cope.I was really pleased with how I did...I didn't intend to compete,just ride around and try a few easy sections,but I did the whole thing and won my class.There were only 3 of us in Twinshock Clubmans,but just to finish was more than I expected.

Bike
    offroad
    Quote Originally Posted by Trialing it View Post
    So how did it go, lost a heap of points and could not balance after xmas?

Well that was my story last weekend.
    Hi, hmm well I must admit I only rode for a few minutes when i got my hands on it we arrived later and we were picking the bike up. So happy to have it back all going. So its all go now, checked around most sections, way rusty and as the bike was already in action it did most of the sections as well. Soooooo no excuses now. Except the get fit bit.

Last weekend what was your ride I would like to hear how others are going. Not balance after christmas lols, too much christmas dinner. :-) Then when we all catch up at north island champs and nationals it will be great to catch up.

Bike
    offroad

Hi Motu,

Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    Did you go to the Air Cooled round today,the Brian Barnsley Memorial Trial? It was on my list of things to do on Sunday,I might have gone if it was wet...but riding a trial in this weather is punishing,and the ground unforgiving.

I did my comeback trial last year at the Xmas Trial,I hadn't ridden a trial for almost 3 years,and was pretty worried about how I would cope.I was really pleased with how I did...I didn't intend to compete,just ride around and try a few easy sections,but I did the whole thing and won my class.There were only 3 of us in Twinshock Clubmans,but just to finish was more than I expected.
    Yes it was the brian barnsley and half was under the trees and 4 sections I think in the next paddock but i only checked out two of them. Trees and Creek and some logs not big.

I am still trying to figure out who you are as I should know have been around for 4 or 5 years so we have met as I have been an observer sometimes(ring a bell). As we havent been for a couple of years as well.
    Didnt get to the christmas one was that the one on the kaimais? Not sure how many sections you had to do. Awesome you gave it a go and you won your class, Good one, well with trials its certainly confidence building. Hopping on after so long is abit scary the body and brain have lots of work to do and together lols. Like you said about riding around and do a few easy sections is what i will try to. hope to catch up soon.

Bike
    offroad

whos going to the training days.

Any one going to the training days that are coming up. One with Jake whittaker for a start.

Trialing it, what sort of sections did you have. Love to hear how you go. Only up from now.

Bike
    I have organised a training day for our club Jake with weekend this weekend, i understand he is having a 3 day training session with some young guys at the moment.

Jake only lives 10mins way from me and we have gone out like 3 times, if that last year for a ride. Sundays is his day off the bike, it seems to be my only day on the bike some weeks.

The club trial that we had was rather easy, clubmans was won on 5 points, intermediates 55, A grade 44. A grade + 38 (me). The property has a pine forest on it but we did not use much of that just nipped under the trees a little and was some dry creek stuff. A couple of sections were logs, one section was made up of stumps. Nice big ones, lost most of my points on this jumping along the top of or trying to with my lack of balance.

Bike
    offroad

Trialing it

I have organised a training day for our club Jake with weekend this weekend, i understand he is having a 3 day training session with some young guys at the moment.

A couple of sections were logs, one section was made up of stumps. Nice big ones, lost most of my points on this jumping along the top of or trying to with my lack of balance.
    Thats awesome, organising a weekend, takes alot to work it seems and it all helps him as well.
    thanks for the description of the trial you went to.

I really enjoy watching you A grade guys and expert riding. where the bikes and of course the riders go reminds me of the rocks at Piopio.
    had a chuckle about the jumping along the top of the stumps that sounds funny abet slightly frustrating. The thing i notice it doesnt take long to get abit out of practice. Not that i have done much. At least its the start of the year. Isnt the first round of the north island down your way.

Bike
    offroad

Motu

Are you going to do any trials riding this year.

Yes,I intend to get back into it,twinshock and aircooled stuff.I need to see how the sections are these days,but going by the Xmas trial they look ok.There was a bit of grumbling a few years ago that Twinshock Clubman was getting too hard,and that is the main reason there aren't as many Twinshocks these days.If it means we are going to get hurt just getting through a section,older riders like me are not interested.I have to ride the same sections as Modern Clubman - I don't have a problem with that,but it has to be doable on a clunky old bike.Just because the A Grader who lays out the section can do it on my bike,doesn't mean that I can.A skills test,not a courage test.And not so easy it's an insult to ride....it's hard finding the perfect section...

The other grumble is costs - I didn't use to care,it just came out of petty cash.Now I have to pay for club membership,competition license,entry fees and running costs out of my lunch money,it's now become an expensive hobby in my reduced circumstances.It's pity the confederacy thing didn't go ahead,it really seemed like a good plan.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Motu I can understand where you come from re the sections, wise heads say 3 hard 3 easy 3 medium and 1 of whatever makes up a trial. Everybody has there own amount of points there are prepared to lose that makes a good day for them. As it is a test against the section that we are competing against I am prepare to concede and take a 5 if it's to hard every now and again. Some want 10 or less for a day, that over 10 sections x4 is a bit low in championship competition.

The less said about a split from MNz in some circles the better, I don't know what a trial cost in your parts but in wellington we are cost affective at $10 for the day, that is only 2 hours parking fee in some city's.

Yer we have the first 2 rounds of the North Island champs on the 5th and 6th Feb going out tomorrow to set them out a bit oh what some people do for others.

I guess there are egos even in trials - I'm happy to get over 100 points in a trial,it just means it's been a bloody hard day.But some in the top grades think if they aren't in the single digits then the trial is too tough.We do 5 rounds of 8 sections,so in a perfect world it would be nice to get a 5 on your first attempt,3 on the next,then 2 and 1,and finally a clean on the last round...88 points.To me struggling all day to get a clean gives great satisfaction.

I was talking to one of the older guys who used to ride in England - they didn't have grades,everyone rode the same lines.So Sammy might finish with a single point,and others further down would be well into 3 digits.When I first started there was only A and B Grades - I rode a trial every 2 weeks for 9 months as a DNF,actually getting into the points was a big moment.
    Waging war with society

Bike
    offroad
    Motu I can understand where you come from re the sections, wise heads say 3 hard 3 easy 3 medium and 1 of whatever makes up a trial. Everybody has there own amount of points there are prepared to lose that makes a good day for them. As it is a test against the section that we are competing against I am prepare to concede and take a 5 if it's to hard every now and again. Some want 10 or less for a day, that over 10 sections x4 is a bit low in championship competition.

Yer we have the first 2 rounds of the North Island champs on the 5th and 6th Feb going out tomorrow to set them out a bit oh what some people do for others.
    lols how come you can explain in 1 paragraph more than some of the emails I have received about it, And me sitting there trying to figure out what they mean. And to the other emails I get the gist, for those looking at the thread who also get them. Its just inexperience, lack of knowledge about it. And when its sorted I will ask how it works otherwise its confusing.

Hamiltons are about 15 juniors less and Aucklands I think are usually 10-15 less for juniors as well, from memory, Tauranga is good too and all the benefits, you are right, a day of riding, courses set, observers. And training days, allsorts. (And if i am wrong am happy to be corrected as its from memory).

And to the guys who spend their weekends and more days setting up the trials you are AWESOME. It means time and some of the venues arent that close to town. As well as setting up, after packing everything up too.

Bike
    offroad
    Quote Originally Posted by Motu View Post
    I guess there are egos even in trials - I'm happy to get over 100 points in a trial,it just means it's been a bloody hard day.But some in the top grades think if they aren't in the single digits then the trial is too tough.We do 5 rounds of 8 sections,so in a perfect world it would be nice to get a 5 on your first attempt,3 on the next,then 2 and 1,and finally a clean on the last round...88 points.To me struggling all day to get a clean gives great satisfaction.

I was talking to one of the older guys who used to ride in England - they didn't have grades,everyone rode the same lines.So Sammy might finish with a single point,and others further down would be well into 3 digits.When I first started there was only A and B Grades - I rode a trial every 2 weeks for 9 months as a DNF,actually getting into the points was a big moment.

Motu You have a good attitude about it, the sense of self achievement, and noticing improvement seems important, We all have our ways of looking at it. I remember a training day of practise techniques for beginners and Warwick took those ready to do a bank o.k It was 1 m high, Of course I freaked out but he was standing on top 10 m away and said look to where he was . Aim for there and first pop, up the bike went and I was still on it, did it about 7 times still dont know how i did it. What a feeling. The bikes are great. I find the club rides a lot more relaxed. Another time I had tried 3 times to get around a tree on one section, Paul came up and suggested if I aim my tyre for a spot it would go around, it did, I was stoked, it was help where I had no idea what to do. and thanks to the guys I remember the help at Maratoto that year.
    I think you would have found the barnsley fine I would have done social and maybe clubman mind due on a '99 bike. And finances are a big part of it. I will be looking at getting day licenses I think when I'd be doing it for two, maybe only riding 4 or 5 times a year getting a full licenses is just not affordable.
    And when I see you at a ride I will try and remember to ask about the confederacy thing. And it was interesting to hear how it was done with the A&B grades.

This Sunday Hamilton Champs Round one http://www.hamiltonmcc.org.nz/trials...e4d2403a49eda3.

I'll have to rejoin the club this week so I can ride at the Chicken Farm in a couple of weeks,and do a day license.I'll have to see how much a license is these days to see if I will go the whole way....it's not as if I have to send away to some remote part of the country,I can walk down to MNZ in my lunch break.
    Waging war with society

Thread Information