Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Failed WOF on brake pads being worn

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    $180 for a set of pads, you went original didn't you?

Ask around at other shops you should be able to pick up a good set of pads for less than that. Even at $180 they are cheaper than a ticket for no wof, considerably cheaper than using public transport for 6-12 months when if you have a collision that gets your license suspended etc.

Why for the life of me folks complain about needing to replace brake components but will happily pay money to get a theoretical half brake horse power out of a bike is beyond me, oh and tell some folks they need to bleed their brakes to flush the fluid out every couple of years and you would think you have suggested replacing the vehicle every two years, odd, very odd.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    Enfield cr250r
    Blog Entries
    Those pads ( from the photos ) look OK , previous poster haven't lead anyone astray

This isn't the point that worries me ,

its the Knowledge of the testers ( the people that test )

I personally haven't had a problem , ( did a Jag restoration back in the day , which needed structural work, and popped down asked what they required , did the repair , presented , boxes checked,, all good

but

those pads and other stories , worries me

IF the part is sound and it gets rejected , what appeals are there .....

I'm not too hot with the idea of say an apprentice telling a mechanic what to do

in so many words

Stephen

ps , as pads wear they have trouble dissipating heat and can warp and stick

Cbr pads . rotate on the pin and Jam / wedge and dont free easily , I sometimes used to use a bush , so that the pad didnt rock ( you will see if you look )

Stephen
    "Look, Madame, where we live, look how we live ... look at the life we have...The Republic has forgotten us."

Bike
    Kate
    To quote Bill, something smells in the stat of Denmark.
    The wear-markers indicate there is still meat on the old pads. Have had problems with VTNZ brake testing the bike - yet, but have had with cars. New pads there test is liable to tell you it is pulling to one side. Adjusted the crap out of the automatic adjuster, same result umm slight improvement. Went to another tester, garage this time, broke perfectly straight, even tested it on the gravel where his underground tanks had been removed and straight as a die. He had the same problem with new pads at VTNZ on a car he had done and another car had been brought to him with the same issue at VTNZ. BTW he had find another fault that was missed by VTNZ and fixed that.
    I have also had them me my brakes were getting low, that was two year ago, still the same pads and passes its 6 monthly check, first time we bothered to check the pads, second time ignored them. They passed its WOF the next time no comment.
    Take VTNZ brake testing with a grain of salt. They do the best with what they have but sometimes a second opinion is worth it.
    Smile you now have new pads and know are safe.

Bike
    08 CRF250R
    Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    Pretty sure the lines are the wear markers.

Should be $45 per side up front and around the same on the rear. Don't get sold fully sintered or "HH" pads, you don't need race spec stoppers for the riding you do.
    Yeah, Was quoted $75 a side for the front and $50 for the rear.
    If you live in our around Auckland come play TAG-O-RAMA with us!

Bike
    08 CRF250R
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    To quote Bill, something smells in the stat of Denmark.
    The wear-markers indicate there is still meat on the old pads. Have had problems with VTNZ brake testing the bike - yet, but have had with cars. New pads there test is liable to tell you it is pulling to one side. Adjusted the crap out of the automatic adjuster, same result umm slight improvement. Went to another tester, garage this time, broke perfectly straight, even tested it on the gravel where his underground tanks had been removed and straight as a die. He had the same problem with new pads at VTNZ on a car he had done and another car had been brought to him with the same issue at VTNZ. BTW he had find another fault that was missed by VTNZ and fixed that.
    I have also had them me my brakes were getting low, that was two year ago, still the same pads and passes its 6 monthly check, first time we bothered to check the pads, second time ignored them. They passed its WOF the next time no comment.
    Take VTNZ brake testing with a grain of salt. They do the best with what they have but sometimes a second opinion is worth it.
    Smile you now have new pads and know are safe.
    I haven't yet bought new pads. Still weighing up my options.

I'd just go to another wof station, if you fail at one, you can keep going (and paying) to other stations till u get a pass
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    A few
    Who uses them anyway ! Fuck it i say we protest !
    A girlfriend once asked " Why is it you seem to prefer to race, than spend time with me ?"
    The answer was simple ! "I'll prolly get bored with racing too, once i've nailed it !"

Bowls can wait !

Bike
    08 CRF250R
    Took the pads down to the station today. He said they are getting a little low but still perfectly safe. Will take the bike down for the break test next week.

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    I'd just go to another wof station, if you fail at one, you can keep going (and paying) to other stations till u get a pass
    Agree... just take it to another station.
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    Seeing as you've already gone to all the trouble of removing them you may as well replace them, Gorse Pockets.

Bike
    Honda Bros 650 (Pre 89)

squeaky

Hey guys,
    I just got a wof and now my front brakes are squeaking. Does that mean they are low? or could there be another reason. I would have thought they would have checked it with my wof, maybe they were just slack.

Sam

Bike
    '87 GSX750SF Katana, 08 Cagiva Raptor
    Just glazed pads probably.

Whip them out and have a look and rough up the pads as much as you can before you put them back in. May or may not fix the squeaking.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Well it's pretty fricken hard to gauge how much meat's left on the from that angle.

Rookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    From that somewhat useless pic they look near the end of their life. A pic showing them from the side so we could see how much 'meat' is left on them would actually help.
    Pair of rookies. Looks to me like they're pretty much worn down to the wear limit grooves. Replace the pads.

Thread Information