Thread: Crash statistics for 2009

Bike
    93 Suzuki GSX250F Across

Post Crash statistics for 2009

I found this on the net while doing a bit of research. It makes for an interesting read.
    Apologise if someone has already chucked this up on the on KB already.

http://www.transport.govt.nz/researc...sheet-2010.pdf

Cheers
    Bubleboy

Bike
    Bikeless.NNnnnooooooooo!
    Blog Entries
    "• A rider without a helmet is three times more likely to suffer severe brain damage than a rider with a helmet in the same type of crash"

One could argue the rider was severely brain damaged in the first place to be riding without a helmet....

Bike
    2008 Lime Green ZX-10r
    hmmm doesnt make me happy....
    My Flickr photostream

Bike
    SF
    Whoa, the 40+ age group has jumped a lot in the last 10 years with the last 5 especially!

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Whoa, the 40+ age group has jumped a lot in the last 10 years with the last 5 especially!

While bikes handle better, its like young drivers......10 years ago you would go out and buy a 120 Hp bike, now the 120 hp is a minimum up to 170 odd.

The old ford cortina versus the turbo subaru is a longer time span

But still I guess 120hp is enough to get you in trouble.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Yeah. In fact if you correct that black line to reflect the number of old bastards you'd find it dips rather than rises.

Them blue and green dudes have all turned black eh.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer

Cool Hmmmmm

Why, with those statistics, are my 750cc and Mrs Bergs 650cc bikes priced at a higher ACC levy than up to 249cc which have a higher crash/injury rate?
    I say charge ACC on the licence not the vehicle. The more classes or endorsements you have the more ACC you pay. Then give discounts for being accident/ticket free, discounts for training undertaken and fee increases for the people who continually lose their licences, have crashes or mount up tickets. That would be the true "user pays" way. Pity that would interfere with the revenue stream that doesn't always make it back to ACC anyway. Slush fund anybody????
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yeah. In fact if you correct that black line to reflect the number of old bastards you'd find it dips rather than rises.

Them blue and green dudes have all turned black eh.
    I guess it's all the 'born againers' that they keep going on about, they must all be part of the blue/green group from the 80's.
    It'd be cool to see some stat's on that (how much riding they'd done over the last 20 years) but it'd be bloody hard to get figures for.

Better make 'em all get 600's
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC. View Post
    I guess it's all the 'born againers' that they keep going on about, they must all be part of the blue/green group from the 80's.
    It'd be cool to see some stat's on that (how much riding they'd done over the last 20 years) but it'd be bloody hard to get figures for.

Better make 'em all get 600's
    Bingo Andy. Its the people that would of died if they kept riding when they where young.. And now they are back with a 20 year riding gap.

Death didn't get them then.. But got them now ! !

Crazy Steve.

Bike
    The Black Pearl
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berg View Post
    Why, with those statistics, are my 750cc and Mrs Bergs 650cc bikes priced at a higher ACC levy than up to 249cc which have a higher crash/injury rate?
    I say charge ACC on the licence not the vehicle. The more classes or endorsements you have the more ACC you pay. Then give discounts for being accident/ticket free, discounts for training undertaken and fee increases for the people who continually lose their licences, have crashes or mount up tickets. That would be the true "user pays" way. Pity that would interfere with the revenue stream that doesn't always make it back to ACC anyway. Slush fund anybody????
    Why would I want to pay an ACC levy for classes and endorsements required by my employer?
    Keep on chooglin'

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smifffy View Post
    Why would I want to pay an ACC levy for classes and endorsements required by my employer?
    Licence-based levies don't work.
    The amount would have to be linked to the 'most risky' class you hold.
    But then, what if you never use a vehicle of that class anymore?
    Or, as you say, it is only through your job that you need this/that class?
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Nil
    Wow, that's sobering stuff. Especially increase in accidents for 40+. I'm keen to get a bike again after a 20+ year break. Hmmmmm.

I know, I'll buy a nice bike and just admire it

Stats say 82% of injured motorcyclists are male. What's the gender ratio of bikers?...Just googled it. Turns out 18% are female. Discuss...

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbourMaster View Post
    Wow, that's sobering stuff. Especially increase in accidents for 40+.
    The 40+ demographic is the largest one, I believe they have, on average slightly less accidents than the total group.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2011 Triumph Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by HarbourMaster View Post
    Stats say 82% of injured motorcyclists are male. What's the gender ratio of bikers?...Just googled it. Turns out 18% are female. Discuss...
    I hate it when they do that. It's a meaningless statistic unless it's normalised for the gender proportions.

If 18% of riders are female (I think that number is too high), that means that men and women are equally likely to be injured in a motorcycle crash. If the number is any lower, it makes women more at risk.

Thread Information