Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Why would you ever need more than a 250?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Gosh I just love the uneducated spouting "facts" off the marketing sheet as gospel and managing to completely doubt the real world facts. Then you find out their experience is also completely lacking as they've only ridden that one bike.

Racefactory, we laugh at it when people stick to their guns with no evidence, and plenty stacked against them. Please continue

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Actually, after thinking about it all a bit more, I've decided 250's are fast. They must be, I've got 4 of them in my bike and fuck it flies.

Bike
    rego on hold nick smith special
    Blog Entries
    Wrong, you can have just as much fun on a 250 if you know how to extract the fun and like turning.

Never understood the big rush learners have to get off their 250's onto big bikes, 250's are insane fun.

I'm not one to believe marketing sheets AT ALL and any performance stats I quote or believe are from videos and real life experience only. I absolutely love my cars and I've driven plenty of jap turbo's- a CBR250 (providing you know how to ride) will whoop a standard one around up to 100, only some time after that will they start to break even. I have personally seen ZXR's being launched to 100 in under 5.

There is some huge grudge against 250's by some of you guys, maybe trying to make up for your own dick size thinking you're all better with your bigger bikes. That's all I can think of. It's not why I ride a bigger bike I can tell you that. The 90's inline 4's are brilliant bikes, had my fun on them for sure.
    ...Full throttle till you see god, then brake.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Depends of your definition of fun.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    and on the use too, 250 is plenty for off road but small displacements get a bit whiny on the road, like taking a holiday in the odyssey full of whining 7 year olds.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yeah absolutely... more than a 75kg load including rider and they really do feel it. I refer to just road sport riding here.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by racefactory View Post
    I have personally seen ZXR's being launched to 100 in mid 4 seconds.
    Real life or on a video? Calibrated speedo or bikes speedo? How was it timed?

BTW, I was riding 1990's 250 sportsbikes in the 90's, been there done that. Ridden CBR\GSXR\ZXR\RGV\NSR, ridden 400's of the era as well. Now I'm on a thou after owning a couple of 750's, and I'm sorry but there is no way you'd get me back riding a 250. I'm not making up for my 'dick size', I'm enjoying laying down copious amounts of power, having the back squirming, trying to keep the front down style of riding on the track, balanced by smooth rapid 'relaxed' riding on the road, coasting on the massive spread of power. Yes my bike is too much for the road, but it's still fucking enjoyable, to me a lot more enjoyable than a 250. I remember those days. But once it's on the track, well it's a bike I'll never truly get 'on top of', in other words a bike that can challenge me and lift my riding. Rather than pushing a tired 20yr old bike around.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 23rd January 2011 at 17:17.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    There is some huge grudge against 250's by some of you guys, maybe trying to make up for your own dick size thinking you're all better with your bigger bikes.
    Ok... what range of bikes have you ridden? I have ridden a 50cc scooter, 1800cc cruiser, 1000cc tuned sportsbikes, and a lot of stuff in between. The only thing I haven't ridden are dirt bikes and big tourers like goldwings. We're saying that when you have ridden a limited range of bikes, you can't accurately judge the range of bikes.

And yes, I hated my 250. I had one for 7 months, and once on my restricted I had an exemption to get any capacity. Despite all modifications made to the bike I kept bottoming it out, so it was an unsafe option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned they stop in 2m from 100k yet ............
    Ciao Marco

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Come on guys, the point of this is to stop all the learner riders wanting to 'upgrade' to bigger bikes and kill themselves. There is really stupendous fun to be had on 250's, no need to rush and have an accident on a more powerful and weighty machine.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Come on guys, the point of this is to stop all the learner riders wanting to 'upgrade' to bigger bikes and kill themselves. There is really stupendous fun to be had on 250's, no need to rush and have an accident on a more powerful and weighty machine.
    So you're advocating that they push their 20yr old 250's hard on the road? I mean, that is the reason for you posting the video in this thread right?

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post

BTW, I was riding 1990's 250 sportsbikes in the 90's, been there done that. Ridden CBR\GSXR\ZXR\RGV\NSR, ridden 400's of the era as well. Now I'm on a thou after owning a couple of 750's, and I'm sorry but there is no way you'd get me back riding a 250. I'm not making up for my 'dick size', I'm enjoying laying down copious amounts of power, having the back squirming, trying to keep the front down style of riding on the track, balanced by smooth rapid 'relaxed' riding on the road, coasting on the massive spread of power. Yes my bike is too much for the road, but it's still fucking enjoyable, to me a lot more enjoyable than a 250. I remember those days.
    Nice stuff, good on you mate. The same can't be said of other riders though.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    So you're advocating that they push their 20yr old 250's hard on the road? I mean, that is the reason for you posting the video in this thread right?
    I've seen it happen before mate... power is far more dangerous, just an inexperienced rider feeling all high and happy on a powerful new bike- with a twist of the throttle and they are understeering into the opposite lane. Pushing a 250 like that on the road required skill and progressively building up... you can be in trouble instantly on a bigger bike though. I thoroughly advocate people extracting maximum performance and enjoyment out of smaller bikes, knowing the limits of traction, turning and braking before moving up to inevitably do the same on bigger more dangerous machines. That is all my friend.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Come on guys, the point of this is to stop all the learner riders wanting to 'upgrade' to bigger bikes and kill themselves.
    No... your original question was "Why would you ever need more than a 250?". Instantly that said to me... he owns a 250... its a common thing amongst those that are owning their 1st/2nd bike, nothing more than 250, and its an experience thing. If you are proud of your 250, thats fine... but when you ask a forum why would you ever need a bigger bike, you'll get the full list of reasons. Trying to then argue they are wrong, when they have more experience is guaranteed to make us laugh.

On average, I've picked up an equal number of small and larger bikes. The small ones were trying to keep up with faster riders, or pushing their limits too far. The big bikes, the reason for losing it was varied from just screwing up, to recently upgrading and not having the skills to handle it.

I certainly found when I upgraded I was more calm and relaxed, as I could pass at any time, instead of desperately taking the opportunities I got. If a car sped up, I couldn't pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I've seen it happen before mate... power is far more dangerous, just an inexperienced rider with a twist of the throttle and they are understeering into the opposite lane. Pushing a 250 like that on the road required skill and progressively building up... you can be in trouble instantly on a bigger bike though. I thoroughly advocate people extracting maximum performance and enjoyment out of smaller bikes, knowing the limits of traction, turning and braking before moving up to inevitably do the same on bigger more dangerous machines. That is all my friend.
    I don't think you'll find too many people disagreeing with that sentiment. But to just assume that the posters in here are just dismissing 250's because of, well whatever reason comes to your mind, isn't acknowledging that most if not all of them have done their time on smaller bikes, and are quite happy to be well past that stage of their lives, for whatever reason.

Thread Information