Page 6 of 195 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    2004, Husqvarna TE450
    Quote Originally Posted by Skinny_Birdman View Post
    If it's Transalp-able I might be in.

Pleased to hear that TA is bonding with his old/new/old Tranny, tho I take exception to the 'much neglected' bit ADVGD. TA got it back with paint you couldn't put fingerprints in....

So, Benjah, Clarence Reserve?
    It might be a bit of a hassle on a big bike like the TA, the reason I say that is we need to cross the Selwyn River several times and although is not a big river there are plenty of those big slippery rocks hiding under the water to catch you out!
    On the other hand there will be a handful of willing volunteers on hand to help out!!

7 minutes before this photo was taken I was lying down with my XR400 in the river having a swim.

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa twin
    My Dakar is in a metamorphic state right now (i.e. in a thousand pieces) so will have to sit this one out.. I've decided to give it a little more offroad flavour

The bikes getting new stiffer progressive springs front and back with heavier fork oil, new gel battery and battery relocation ,regulator relocation, bar risers with new fat bars grips and bark busters , new front fender (motorcross style), fork gators, alu chain protector, alu radiator guards, a new cycle works single pipe muffler and a set of D606 tyres to top it all off..

Should be pretty sweet when it's all done but will be at least a week or two before all the parts arrive and are installed.

Bike
    '01 Honda Transalp '99 Honda CBR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by monchopper View Post
    It might be a bit of a hassle on a big bike like the TA, the reason I say that is we need to cross the Selwyn River several times and although is not a big river there are plenty of those big slippery rocks hiding under the water to catch you out!
    Hmmm, well I managed all the fords I encountered in the DB without any dramas. Will think about it.

So is anyone looking at going into the Clarence on 26/27 Feb? I'd be keen, but probably not on my own..... The TA takes a bit of picking up, you see.
    Nobody knows what human life is, why we come, why we go,
    so why then do I know, I will see you in far off places?
    Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Bike
    3 black ones
    i will go going on sat the 26th. wont be able to head away from chch too early tho and might only have time to do the south track...

Bike
    1999 klx250r
    i would be keen to drive up to Clarence reserve and stay overnight in goose flat then drive out the next day

... but i have very limited camping gear and will be driving a 250

Bike
    dr650
    I have been there on a 250 with no problems (just take extra fuel), the advantage of a bigger bike decreases when it gets tighter and bouldier as it can do in the clarence.

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
    i would be keen to drive up to Clarence reserve and stay overnight in goose flat then drive out the next day

... but i have very limited camping gear and will be driving a 250
    Still "negotiating" with the wife - but trying to swing a Sat in, stay the night and back Sunday - don't need much gear, sleeping bag, cold food and scrounge a coffee of someone in the morning - sleep in a hut, first in first served ($5 or so for the night for a DOC hut ticket) - I am sure there will be some takers from down here - if not that rabble from up Nelson way are usually keen or there may even be some Norf Islanders we can chuck rocks at!

Bike
    1999 klx250r
    Quote Originally Posted by cromagnon View Post
    I have been there on a 250 with no problems (just take extra fuel), the advantage of a bigger bike decreases when it gets tighter and bouldier as it can do in the clarence.
    its more the sustained 100k bit i was getting at - if im travelling with bigger bikes ull need to wait for me

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    It's not as bad as you make out.
    If your current buddies are leaving you behind on the highway then maybe it's time to play with us instead. There are still a few who like to exceed the limits and go for it everywhere but most I hang with are happier just crusing. The 400cc and 650 singles for example you might think ohh 650cc, they be fast... well they can go fast but in fact a lot are simply still more pleasant at 95 on the highway.
    We are also normally happy to make extra special allowances for the wee bikes in head winds.

Unfortunately I don't expect to be going on this trip to the Clarance.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    dr650
    Quote Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
    its more the sustained 100k bit i was getting at - if im travelling with bigger bikes ull need to wait for me
    I can do 130 sustained........................ downhill, with a tail wind

On the back of an AA trucks flatdeck

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by cromagnon View Post
    I can do 130 sustained........................ downhill, with a tail wind
    Lots of stains probably...

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Transalper View Post
    We are also normally happy to make extra special allowances for the wee bikes in head winds.
    I'll vouch for that, he's good people

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    I'll vouch for that, he's good people
    He's got a CRF230 as well

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    He's got a CRF230 as well
    He hardly ever speaks of that bike now that he has rekindled his enthusiasm for his previously neglected Transalp, I've heard he even lets the Transalp sleep in the corner of his bedroom, seems a little odd, but who am I to judge

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Ha ha you funny people.
    The MTB gets to sleep in the kitchen sometimes but I couldn't get anything with a motor in it up the stairs and round the 90° turn to get thru the door.
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Thread Information