Page 1 of 195 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa twin

I'm looking for Christchurch Adv rides

I've just relocated from Wellington to Christchurch and am looking to go on some sweet adv rides.

Any Christchurch Veterans willing to show a new guy the ropes? Any recommended routes etc.

I ride a F650gs Dakar and I'd rate my skill level as intermediate (on a good day..)

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Welcome to Chch mate, for a few close by routes try Cooneyr's website ADV Routes

A couple of write ups of nearby rides here too :

Lees Valley

Lake Sumner

Edwards Pass

Mailings Pass

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Welcome to ChCh.
    Plenty of shingle/dirt roads on the peninsula if that's your thing.
    The Waimak can be looped up one side across at the gorge bridge and back down the other side. You can go all shingle/dirt etc roads or include a heap of single track if you get board.
    Lees Valley is also highly recommended but read ADVGDs link for info on the main river crossing etc.

Post up a day, time and place to meet and what you want to explore and it's likely you'll get someone turn up to go with you.

Lots a tired bodys about at the moment though after the weekends 1000+ km Dusty Butt Adventure.
    Cheers
    TA
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    yeah Welcome, always someone about for a ride and the lee,s valley is always fun....

Bike
    '01 Honda Transalp '99 Honda CBR 600
    Again, welcome. Don't neglect the Peninsula either, from Little River up the Okuti Valley Road to Bossu Road, down Jubilee Road to Wainui, across to Duvauchelle and up the stock track then down Pettigrews/ Middle Road to Pigeon Bay and back via Port Levy is a nice few hours ride, with lots of different permutations possible. Like the others said, if you post a time and place then people will appear as if by magic.
    Nobody knows what human life is, why we come, why we go,
    so why then do I know, I will see you in far off places?
    Stephen Patrick Morrissey

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa twin
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like Christchurch is fairly spoiled for adv rides. Some of the photos from the adventure guide site are truly stunning.

Little River up the Okuti Valley Road to Bossu Road, down Jubilee Road to Wainui, across to Duvauchelle and up the stock track then down Pettigrews/ Middle Road to Pigeon Bay and back via Port Levy is a nice few hours ride, with lots of different permutations possible.
    This sounds like a fun loop to start off with. Just looking at getting my feet wet at this stage as it will be the first proper ride on my "new to me" f650gs.

Anyone keen to do this route on Sunday? Was thinking of a 9am start. Where do you guys usually meet up?

Bike
    Hmmm, possibly. Still a bit knackered from the DB, and so's the bike. Will let you know tomorrow night.

Bike
    Hey, TA. Don't you have a bike you want to try out? If you get it dirty, it comes back clean, mind.....

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    If it comes back at all
    www.remotemoto.com - a serious site for serious ADV riders, the ultimate resource in the making.
    Check out my videos on Youtube including... the 2011 Dusty Butt 1K - Awakino Challenge and others.

Bike
    WR250R DR650 Transalp650
    Just thinking... going toward Little River for a start I guess 9am meeting at either the Halswell shopping centre carpark near the Super Liquor just past the Nicholls Rd intersection or maybe a bit further down at the Challenge fuel station Halswell, just past the pool/Aquatic Centre?
    Depart at 9:30am?

Any better or other bright ideas?

Not totally sure I will make it but might try talk J into jumping on back again.

Bike
    blackbird,africa twin,xt600,xt 600tenere
    harden you pussies...dustybutt was a breeze.. bring it on I say....

Errr I ll just ask the missus if its ok

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa twin
    Just thinking... going toward Little River for a start I guess 9am meeting at either the Halswell shopping centre carpark near the Super Liquor just past the Nicholls Rd intersection or maybe a bit further down at the Challenge fuel station Halswell, just past the pool/Aquatic Centre?
    Depart at 9:30am?
    Sounds good to me.

I just went for a ride out to thompson's road. I'm guessing that you'd all be familiar with it? I tried out the Dakar on a bunch of dirtbike single track stuff as well as some basic gravel. Felt like a big dirt bike with overly squishy front suspension. Not sure about the tires (deathwings) but was great overall.

Hope some of you can make it on Sunday. Weather forecast is good.

Bike
    3 black ones
    i did some of those roads yesterday. just about had the place to myself

not sure i have done Thompsons rd????

Bike
    3 black ones
    Quote Originally Posted by thepom View Post
    harden you pussies...dustybutt was a breeze.. bring it on I say....

Errr I ll just ask the missus if its ok

so says mr call in sick for 2 days.....

Bike
    2016 Honda Africa twin
    Thompsons is off old Coast road. I spotted it on the GPS and thought it looked interesting. Heaps of dirtbike carved single track loops.

Thread Information