Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AA advocates wire rope barriers

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    There is no chance of survival if you hit or slide into a wire barrier. That is what makes them such a threat to motorcyclists. Sure without a barrier you may hit a tree, post, another vehicle but the odds on your side - a wirebarrier is certain death.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    There is no chance of survival if you hit or slide into a wire barrier. That is what makes them such a threat to motorcyclists. Sure without a barrier you may hit a tree, post, another vehicle but the odds on your side - a wirebarrier is certain death.
    No it's not. But it's exaggerated statements like that that mean the TPTB are unlikely to take any "cheesecutter" campaign seriously.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    No it's not. But it's exaggerated statements like that that mean the TPTB are unlikely to take any "cheesecutter" campaign seriously.
    Got any figures on bikers that hit that shit at any sort of speed, and survived?
    Overseas evidence attained by real world studies of WRB strikes by bikers show that at 70kph limbs (at least) are amputated.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the result of a human body hitting the posts or the cable/s...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2015 Yamaha MT-09 Tracer
    Personally, I'm more concerned at the placement of rumble strips on the left side of the road than WRBs. The rope barrier saved me the day a lady fell asleep and tried to cross onto my side which without it would have resulted in a head on.
    By placing rumble strips on the left especially on corners, roading authorities ahve removed the safety margin when swerving to avoid somebody on your side of the road.
    Imagine laying into a wet right sweeper and finding a car overtaking and in your lane. You swerve to the right collecting the wet rumble strip while still laid over. None of the options here are going to end in a good result.
    If you are what you eat, then I'm fast, cheap and easy
    I have a gas axe and a welder! What do you mean "it won't fit"?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Got any figures on bikers that hit that shit at any sort of speed, and survived?
    Overseas evidence attained by real world studies of WRB strikes by bikers show that at 70kph limbs (at least) are amputated.
    It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out the result of a human body hitting the posts or the cable/s...
    Got some great photos of a near new Harley that took a length out, rider survived. For some years I was reviewing all crashes where bikes hit guardrail to determine what type of barrier it was. As I recall there were less than ten crashes identifiable as involving wire rope, but I haven't looked at the data for a couple of years. I am sure with its more frequent use there will be a few more examples now. Still not aware of any fatalities, other than the one that frequently gets mentioned.

Have got plenty of examples of riders hitting armco and being killed. Obviously there are many more km of that stuff around so you'd expect that, but the point loads on the support posts is just the same as with wire rope, and there is very little flex in the barrier itself.

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    My apologies, before stating my view, I should have waited until there was a statistically valid number of motorcycle accidents with WRB to provide proof that sliding into a WRB at even a slow speed will not be a good look. Best hope of survival seems to be to clear the barrier - pray for that massive high side.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Got some great photos of a near new Harley that took a length out, rider survived. .... Proof that Harley riders are tuff??

Still not aware of any fatalities, other than the one that frequently gets mentioned.

Have got plenty of examples of riders hitting armco and being killed. Obviously there are many more km of that stuff around so you'd expect that, but the point loads on the support posts is just the same as with wire rope, and there is very little flex in the barrier itself.
    One example of a survivor. How many didn't? I'm talking world-wide - NZ is not a special case. The EU is not removing this shit for no reason. The US doesn't install it without wide berms separating it from road edges for no reason.
    There have been a number of deaths in Oz. There have been (at least) 2 in Sweden. I'm not sure about elsewhere.
    And don't forget that (some) cars are just as bad as bikes for exposing their occupants to the risk of death. 4 teenage girls were decapitated in the US when their MX5? went under the wires.

Yes, a number of riders have been killed in NZ after contacting Armco. Again, NZ is not unique, and the toll is likely to be in the many hundreds if not thousands worldwide. I believe it is the posts that do the damage. Why do you think double-railing or Mototub is being increasingly used in other countries?

Perhaps you could re-acquaint yourself with this report, http://www.eurorap.org/library/pdfs/20081202_Bikers.PDF , esp sections 8+9.
    And this one as well... http://motorcycleminds.org/?p=13
    Last edited by MSTRS; 30th January 2011 at 16:10.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    One example of a survivor. How many didn't? I'm talking world-wide - NZ is not a special case. The EU is not removing this shit for no reason. The US doesn't install it without wide berms separating it from road edges for no reason.
    There have been a number of deaths in Oz. There have been (at least) 2 in Sweden. I'm not sure about elsewhere.
    And don't forget that (some) cars are just as bad as bikes for exposing their occupants to the risk of death. 4 teenage girls were decapitated in the US when their MX5? went under the wires.

Yes, a number of riders have been killed in NZ after contacting Armco. Again, NZ is not unique, and the toll is likely to be in the many hundreds if not thousands worldwide. I believe it is the posts that do the damage. Why do you think double-railing or Mototub is being increasingly used in other countries?

Perhaps you could re-acquaint yourself with this report, http://www.eurorap.org/library/pdfs/20081202_Bikers.PDF , esp sections 8+9.
    And this one as well... http://motorcycleminds.org/?p=13
    If you are talking worldwide then I have no idea. When you quote low numbers like two in Sweden or "a number" in Australia, they don't jump out as being the killers that they are made out to be. Considering the amount of the stuff that has been put in around the world I would expect there are many survivors out there.

Anyroad, cheers for the EuroRAP link, interesting reading. Unfortunately the last sentence in Section 8 is exactly the response you get from the NZTA on the subject.

Bike
    Anyroad, cheers for the EuroRAP link, interesting reading. Unfortunately the last sentence in Section 8 is exactly the response you get from the NZTA on the subject.
    True. But it is also full of observations and recommendations that NZTA would never utter...

Bike
    2014 Moto Guzzi California

it's perfectly logical but its not right...

cheese cutters are cheap to install compared to fixed barriers. Not as cheap as no barrier though. Goes to show with so many cars on the road tin tops remain the driving force for these decisions - logical but not right - a barrier to good decision making (and now I'm running out of puns).

Seriously though - I hate the cheese cutters - makes me nervous every time I ride past one.

Roads are shared spaces - about time the decision makers started making decisions on that basis...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    Todays Herald.

"(Mike) Noon says the government could save a lot more lives by investing more in safer roads.
    He quotes Australian roading expert... who estimates that if NZ spent $150 million a year for 10 years on safety improvements such as wire barriers and rumble strips...we could save 80 to 90 lives."

Once again it seems that motorcycles are not automobiles and it is not considered necessary to keep motorcyclists safe.
    You know that AA have got a representative on the MSL committee eh? Absolute joke to have a representative from such an anti biker organisation having a say on how money for motorcycle safety should be spent. Hope you are a member of MAG-NZ. We are getting pretty fired up around this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKiwi View Post
    cheese cutters are cheap to install compared to fixed barriers. Not as cheap as no barrier though. Goes to show with so many cars on the road tin tops remain the driving force for these decisions - logical but not right - a barrier to good decision making (and now I'm running out of puns).

Seriously though - I hate the cheese cutters - makes me nervous every time I ride past one.

Roads are shared spaces - about time the decision makers started making decisions on that basis...
    And that's it. One strike, and the repaired section has now cost more than the same length of concrete barrier.

Thread Information