Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another soon to be bikerchick (Miss D)

Bike
    Green beast

Another soon to be bikerchick (Miss D)

Hi everyone
    I just got my BHS cert yesterday and will sit my learners next weekend. Just wanted to say hi Looking at getting a VTR250, have found a really nice GSF250V bandit on trademe though. Although I really do love the look of the Ninjas... People tell me to get a naked bike in case I drop it but what if I don't.. lol
    Cheers
    Dale

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss D View Post
    People tell me to get a naked bike in case I drop it but what if I don't.. lol
    Cheers
    Dale
    Just dont plan to drop it then ... just because they did, doesn't mean you have to ...

And welcome to the site ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Green beast
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking.. thanks

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries

Heya

Hi Dale, welcome in...
    Uuuuu bike selection-having just been through the whole gambit myself, i will say enjoy the thrill of poppin ur first bike cherry. The pain of parting with dosh will dissipate and ur lust for both ur bike and ride will prevail. Apologies for the rather dubious analogies. I agree with FJ-just don't plan to drop it, be confident you won't and practice. Some good advice thats helping me is - get good gear so if ya do come off you've got the best chance of staying in one piece, don't ever do the newb death grip (relax), look where ya wanna go-scan to ur vanishing line and control ur bike. Though i'm far from an expert being newly minted myself, i originally thought i'd have binned my bike by now, but so far so good. I'm not planning on a bin or a drop anytime soon...fingers crossed.

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries

Smile Heya

Hi Dale, welcome in...
    Uuuuu bike selection-having just been through the whole gambit myself, i will say enjoy the thrill of poppin ur first bike cherry. The pain of parting with dosh will dissipate and ur lust for both ur bike and ride will prevail. Apologies for the rather dubious analogies. I agree with FJ-just don't plan to drop it, be confident you won't and practice. Some good advice thats helping me is - get good gear so if ya do come off you've got the best chance of staying in one piece, don't ever do the newb death grip (relax), look where ya wanna go-scan to ur vanishing line and control ur bike. Though i'm far from an expert being newly minted myself, i originally thought i'd have binned my bike by now, but so far so good. I'm not planning on a bin or a drop anytime soon...fingers crossed.

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss D View Post
    . Although I really do love the look of the Ninjas... People tell me to get a naked bike in case I drop it but what if I don't.. lol
    It's worth it having a Ninja

And you won't drop it if it's your super precious baby and you focus everytime you're near it. (touch wood)

Plus gives you something to wax (no pun)... but not too much polishing like a total chrome bike.

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Welcome...
    Me other half had a VTR 250 and clocked up huge km's on it... The VTR250 is an awesome learners bike, it is forgiving bike... and if you do drop it no fairings to replace. (but as FJRider says don't droop it) It will happily do the longer trips as well... we use to do all the rally's and big trips. Good choice for a first bike...

Bike
    Green beast
    Hey thanks guys. That's kind of what I'm thinking, if I got a Ninja it would be my baby I'd love it and I'd be so careful with it - I think my heart's set on it. The VTR250 sounds really great but yeah I've fallen for the Ninja.
    Thanks for the advice - the death grip! I've got the Keith Code dvd Twist of the Wrist II which explains about having a smooth throttle and being relaxed, and the 8 Survival Reactions that pretty much get in the way of perfect riding. Going to keep watching it over so I can learn it all. Not that I'll be hitting the track any time soon lol

Bike
    XL1200c Sporty HD
    Blog Entries

eek newly minted

Heya
    Yeap, must be mandatory viewing, am still chugging through stuff like the good little newb gurly swot that i am. All the better for self preservations and all that good stuff. Am finding the more relaxed i am the less muck ups i make...kinda the opposite of what i had thought at the very outset. Don't count urself out, i reckon you'll be NIKE-ing that track sooner than ya think! As and when ready...GO NINJA!!! Hee YA! (i'm a nobb but i so know it...)

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    I own a VTR and have ridden a Ninja

I think the VTR is easier to ride, but the Ninja has more power (believe me you'll want it after a while on a 250).

The VTR is better made / quality. Nothing wrong with Kwakas, but I'd rate Honda build quality higher.

If you love the look of the Ninja - go for it. They are a great bike.

PS: if you are worried about dropping it, you could:
    a) take the fairings off and run it naked until your confidence increases
    b) buy some frame sliders / crash bungs (these fit to the frame between the fairing openings they look like a "door stop" and protect the bike so that if the bike falls over - they minimise damage).
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Black Ninja
    Hi there and congrats...big exciting world just opened up for you.

I bought a brand shiny new Ninja, love it so much I'm keeping it. All the talk of dropping a new bike and scratching it...yeah I did it. It happens, it gives the bike some character, it reminds me to take more care and engage my brain quicker.

Indicators replaced...the scratch, it's part of my bike, do I care? Yes and no. I did at the time but now, it's ok. It proves I have a bike, it proves I've done something and it also gives me an idea for some fancy decorative work to make my bike more mine!

Whatever you buy, you may drop it, you may not. It is all part of the learning process. The next thing that comes is what you going to upgrade to when you get your full? You don't have too, you can do what ever you want.

Enjoy the new bike, enjoy meeting all the new people and enjoy your time here in KB land, the land of make believe, where all are equal and no body judges another.

Bike
    2003 Suzuki GSX 250
    Hey Miss D

You weren't by any chance one of the gals who did there BHS with Bike skills out at mt Albert?

Bike
    99 Suzie,05 R6.
    Welcome to KB.

Bike
    Green beast
    Hey not that I know much if anything about the way bikes are built but yes have heard that the VTR is a great build, go forever and more comfortable.. But I kinda want to go impractical on this one lol Not that it's the same thing but I'm a bit of a road cyclist on a race type bike and used to sitting forward and hunched over for 4 + hours. I've never even sat on a Ninja which I spose I should do first lol But have fallen for the look. Saw one on the road today, with an L plate on the back and thought yeeeah that could be me lol

And yep to Jeeves I'm one of the 3 chix that did the BHS course at Mt Albert on Saturday. A dude was there as well but he had done some dirt bike riding I think? So another one of the instructors took him for 1 on 1 and he was done really quickly lol us 3 girls had never ridden before so were at the same level.

Bike
    Green beast
    Jeeves I just seen your thread, was that you on the BHS course at 3pm?

Thread Information