Thread: Injuries at home prove way more costly than road injuries...

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries

Injuries at home prove way more costly than road injuries...

Accidental injuries and deaths at home cost New Zealanders three and a half times more than road injuries, a new report says.
    The research, by the University of Otago in Wellington, found the social cost of injury in the home cost about $13 billion a year, while estimates by the Ministry of Transport put road injury costs at $3.84b.
    ''This is a significant and disturbing burden on New Zealanders. These new findings based on robust analysis should give us all pause for thought,'' researcher Michael Keall from the Department of Public Health said.
    But, the large difference could mostly be attributed to the large number of minor home injuries - thousands more than on the road - and it did not necessarily mean three and a half times more money should be spent on preventing home injuries, he said.
    ''Home injuries arise from many different causes and reflect the vast range of activities undertaken in the home. Preventing home injuries is more complicated than preventing road injury.''
    About 250 people die in their homes from unintentional injuries annually.
    The study was published in the international journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.

Ouch. I wonder who's next?
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Bavarian Beast,Matchless G80S,SJ50QT
    Quote Originally Posted by riffer View Post
    Accidental injuries and deaths at home cost New Zealanders three and a half times more than road injuries, a new report says.
    The research, by the University of Otago in Wellington, found the social cost of injury in the home cost about $13 billion a year, while estimates by the Ministry of Transport put road injury costs at $3.84b.
    ''This is a significant and disturbing burden on New Zealanders. These new findings based on robust analysis should give us all pause for thought,'' researcher Michael Keall from the Department of Public Health said.
    But, the large difference could mostly be attributed to the large number of minor home injuries - thousands more than on the road - and it did not necessarily mean three and a half times more money should be spent on preventing home injuries, he said.
    ''Home injuries arise from many different causes and reflect the vast range of activities undertaken in the home. Preventing home injuries is more complicated than preventing road injury.''
    About 250 people die in their homes from unintentional injuries annually.
    The study was published in the international journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.

Ouch. I wonder who's next?
    Watch for "ACC Levy" on your next Rates bill!
    You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Bike
    750 auw
    Was just on hold with ACC and the hold message informed me that they estimate 1/4 of all accidents are due to booze! So watch out for the ACC levy at the bottle shop too....

And don't sit on your bike using the skill saw while sculling a bourbon!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    No doubt ACC will now embark upon a campaign to discourage people from being at home...
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    1999 Suzuki TL1000sx
    OSH visits too your house will be the next safety precaution.
    You'll need a safety harness to walk down your stairs and a fully ventilated suit to clean your oven.

Bike
    She resents being called a bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    No doubt ACC will now embark upon a campaign to discourage people from being at home...
    They call it work

there'll be ACC on children next
    I didn't think!!! I experimented!!!

Bike
    The Vixen - K8 GSXR600
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post

there'll be ACC on children next
    Well - that's better! I could get paid for that "accidental" pregnancy I...err...never mind..
    . “No pleasure is worth giving up for two more years in a rest home.” Kingsley Amis

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries

Prolly...

I have had um... a few... motorcycling mishaps, but apart from the mysterious "Yeah... you get that sometimes...." medical misadventure to my left shoulder that someone inflicted on me while I was anaesthetised on June 18th (8 months physio so far!!), the worst damage I've had so far was a fall in my gargre in 1999, caused by the low friction coeficient of socks and semi-gloss bumper bar paint. Broke my nose, got 6 stitches in my eye, probably cracked my right eyebrow, and injured my rotator cuff. The latter meant several months of physio, and many $$$ cost to ACC.

The "mysterious shoulder injury" has proved to be a blessing in disguise (despite the 8 months of sometimes extreme pain) as I'm now fitter'n I've been for YEEEEAAARRRS.
    It's rather sad though that the highlight of my week is the twice-weekly physio sessions...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slofox View Post
    Does this mean it is safer to get out of the house and ride the bike? Any excuse will suit me.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    It's rather sad though that the highlight of my week is the twice-weekly physio sessions...
    svedish blonde?
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdog View Post
    svedish blonde?
    Nope.
    Noo Zilunder brunette (and not as attractive as my wife).
    Dunno why the physio's a highlight... perhaps it's just the challenge of it, and the break from my mundo-mundane life?
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Nope.
    Noo Zilunder brunette (and not as attractive as my wife).
    Dunno why the physio's a highlight... perhaps it's just the challenge of it, and the break from my mundo-mundane life?
    Understand that entirely. Miss my Irish-Brunnette physio sessions terribly, but have replaced it with walking with my kids. Unfortunate that yours are too old to accept that the torture they are undertaking is fun because I told you it is, however mine seem to have taken to it willingly and enjoy it.

Also, it is the "break from my mundo-mundane life" bit that you're enjoying. I really know that feeling. I'm tempted to crash another bike just to go on physio again, just like them blokes and blokettes want to get back into prison.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Thread Information