Thread: Building a sidecar...

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes

Building a sidecar...

My boss has decided he wants to use a 2003 900cc Ducati 2-valve Motor to build a sidecar. He's in Perth, WA and after seeing the pics I took at Wanganui on Boxing Day of the classic sidecars he's changed his mind from building a Ducati Chopper (I know!) to wanting a sidecar for some casual racing, plus his girlfriend is pretty keen the idea too.

So... where to start?
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Bike
    Exercycle
    start by arranging a ride on one for him - and her - before cutting metal.

It's a hell of a lot of work to then find he doesn't like it - or worse, she doesn't.

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...i dont think 'casual' is a word you would find in the sidecar nomenclature...

Bike
    2010 DC Skate Shoes
    They're off to a have a go day at Barbagallo in the next month or two I think. For now he's just looking for information, he's pretty handy on the tools and has designed a number of different things to a fairly high standard.

As for the 'casual' racing thing, what I mean is that they will most likely only race at the two 'local' circuits being Collie and Barbagallo, and they'd be in it for fun more than for winning the championship.

I see there is an HD setup on Trademe at the moment for $10k, I'm gonna flick him the link and see what he says but I think he'll want to stick to his Ducati idea - he has a (very) customised Monster, a hotted up MH900e in the works, a tasty Sports Classic, just bought an NCR Millona R and has a bevel drive 750 he's going to do up as an MH replica too. The only non-Duc bike he has is a superbike homologated wire wheel Katana.

Are there any good books specifically for racing sidecar building, or any fundamental ideas that need to be adhered to in order to build a good setup?
    KiwiBitcher
    where opinion holds more weight than fact.

It's better to not pass and know that you could have than to pass and find out that you can't. Wait for the straight.

Quote Originally Posted by R6_kid View Post
    They're off to a have a go day at Barbagallo in the next month or two I think. For now he's just looking for information, he's pretty handy on the tools and has designed a number of different things to a fairly high standard.

As for the 'casual' racing thing, what I mean is that they will most likely only race at the two 'local' circuits being Collie and Barbagallo, and they'd be in it for fun more than for winning the championship.

I see there is an HD setup on Trademe at the moment for $10k, I'm gonna flick him the link and see what he says but I think he'll want to stick to his Ducati idea - he has a (very) customised Monster, a hotted up MH900e in the works, a tasty Sports Classic, just bought an NCR Millona R and has a bevel drive 750 he's going to do up as an MH replica too. The only non-Duc bike he has is a superbike homologated wire wheel Katana.

Are there any good books specifically for racing sidecar building, or any fundamental ideas that need to be adhered to in order to build a good setup?
    copy Stevens sidecar design, that thing works awesomely well.
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    That sidecar on t/m is my mate 's,people don't understand what it takes to build one of these 10k is cheap

Bike
    07 fz6n. 07cbarrrr600
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade master View Post
    copy Stevens sidecar design, that thing works awesomely well.
    Don't try suspension on the chair. Stiff rubber blocks suffice. Like the OG minis.
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    Fkn crack up. Most awkward interviewee ever i reckon haha.

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    If he's in Perth, tell him to contact Clive Watson, he's built and raced a swag of chairs here and in NZ, and will freely dispense all the info and guidance your buddy requires. Ph 08 9398 7701.

Thread Information