Page 3 of 44 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Free the weed, dope, cannabis, hooch, Fri 4 Feb, outside Auckland District Courts

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    I was reading this, and was like wooow man.....

................what were we talking about again?
    Going by some of the absolutely beautiful women at The Daktory, as of late, some stoner guys must be fairly sharp, or those lovelies actually enjoy cannabis too!
    Churches are monuments to self importance

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by scissorhands View Post
    Dude, wake up. All his friends use cannabis. They smoke it after footy training in the carpark then go back in the clubhouse and drink with cops in their team....then go home to their wives and families, then go to work in the morning....

The myth of stoners out robbing you is false, they are usually too stoned or selling buds for easy money. And even if it wernt, removing all drug prohibition would reduce the need to steal, (and grow for profit) and give better access to treatment for P users and junkies.

Fact is, addiction services seldom see stoners coming in. But plenty of alcoholics in need of help
    Trouble here is, who's paying for the treatment? Not the users of course, it's the taxpayer in general. Alcoholism is rampant in NZ and not getting better, so the treatment programs aren't making a significant difference to the overall issue as much as they might to individuals.

How much money are we as taxpayers prepared to let the Govt. spend to address addiction and medical, (both illness and accident), issues? Are drug users and alcoholics prepared to forego the support of societies expensive medical and legal services in order to do as they please?

Everyone was up in arms about the prisoner who broke his leg escaping from prison and got a huge payout from ACC, what about the drunk/stoned person who injures himself? You see, if one deliberately, and knowingly does something that is detrimental to their health, should they expect the resources of society to be spent on them?

I think in other threads on this, you admitted riding/driving after smoking and that many who smoke, do the same. Like I said, you want to be taken seriously, but what's the difference with someone who says they drink and drive?

You will never get cannabis legalised no matter how "harmless" you believe it to be.
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbear View Post
    You see, if one deliberately, and knowingly does something that is detrimental to their health, should they expect the resources of society to be spent on them?
    Do you really want to go down that road? That way leads to way more than big increases in ACC for motorcyclists...

You will never get cannabis legalised no matter how "harmless" you believe it to be.
    I reckon it's only a matter of time, it just depends how long society will put up with the utter failure of the way we currently deal with drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterD View Post
    So, like alcohol, you make it illegal to drive under the influence.

So you want to legislate against human nature then? That's the problem with "lawmakers" they're always looking for more ways to interfere by creating new laws. We should put a constitutional limit on the number of laws and only allow them to make new ones if they first remove some that are already on the books.
    Isn't it already illegal to drive under the influence of both alcohol, (over the limit), or drugs?

It is human nature to be stupid and do crazy things, doesn't mean it should be legal when there are consequences to society that we all have to pick up the tab for. You'd have to come up with far better arguments than have so far been put forward here to convince the legislators to change the law.

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    I have a beer and drive sometimes. I have 1 beer. I am used to the effects of beer. Sometimes I have 2 and drive if over 1 hour has passed. I never have 3 and jump in a car.

Sensational or factual, some people after 1 beer would be dangerous. Same with weed.

The drug drive testing laws at present are adequate, when officers perceive a dangerous level of intoxication correctly.

Bike
    Do you really want to go down that road? That way leads to way more than big increases in ACC for motorcyclists...

I reckon it's only a matter of time, it just depends how long society will put up with the utter failure of the way we currently deal with drugs.
    I agree with your first point. I just want people to think about this and make responsible decisions knowing that their choices and actions do affect others. Problem is that many simply couldn't care less if they do and insist on their "right" without caring a jot about the rights of those who have to pick them up.

On the second, I doubt, although it is possible, that even in time the law will be changed. As for "dealing with the drug/alcohol issues", "we" are the ones who have to make the difference. We cannot sit back and demand the Govt. fix the problem. They can't do more than they are except bring in harsher penalties and compulsory rehab. The trouble is that those who need to change, don't want to and won't until we as the general public, their friends and families, make it not okay and pressurise them to change their ways.

You're talking about deep seated societal attitudes and you can't legislate that.

Bike
    '69 Lambretta & SR400
    It is human nature to be stupid and do crazy things, doesn't mean it should be legal when there are consequences to society that we all have to pick up the tab for. You'd have to come up with far better arguments than have so far been put forward here to convince the legislators to change the law.
    OK, motorcycles are now illegal and there's no medical treatment if you crash, why should society pick up the tab for the consequences of you not driving a car?

I'd legalise all drugs. Make them available through licenced, controlled and taxed channels so that users can trust the strength and quality of the product. How much money do we currently throw down the hole of utterly failing enforcement activity?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lobster View Post
    Only a homo puts an engine back together WITHOUT making it go faster.

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    Trouble here is, who's paying for the treatment? Not the users of course, it's the taxpayer in general. Alcoholism is rampant in NZ and not getting better, so the treatment programs aren't making a significant difference to the overall issue as much as they might to individuals.

How much money are we as taxpayers prepared to let the Govt. spend to address addiction and medical, (both illness and accident), issues? Are drug users and alcoholics prepared to forego the support of societies expensive medical and legal services in order to do as they please?

Everyone was up in arms about the prisoner who broke his leg escaping from prison and got a huge payout from ACC, what about the drunk/stoned person who injures himself? You see, if one deliberately, and knowingly does something that is detrimental to their health, should they expect the resources of society to be spent on them?

I think in other threads on this, you admitted riding/driving after smoking and that many who smoke, do the same. Like I said, you want to be taken seriously, but what's the difference with someone who says they drink and drive?

Look at Oz and I think you could be wrong!

But I agree with the waste of money that govt addiction services often are. Not always though and many do get the help they needed.

It would be heartless to deny help to those that need it. As usual govt spending in these tradtional areas is not the answer.

Education is the fence at the top of the cliff, and good education rather than scare stories like reefer madness, is where money should be spent. Under prohibition any reasonable education is more difficult

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    One of the key questions addressed in considering whether to change the law is "Why?" This is asked not only in the case of criminal conviction but why does this person or group want the law changed? Why do you smoke Cannabis, a known health hazard with only one purpose in the form it is in? That is to alter mind and mood. There are no positive effects on the human body from this substance without it being processed to extract the medical benefit of pain relief at which time of course it has no mind-altering or carcinogenic properties.
    Are you talking about alcohol by chance - er sorry no just read the preceding posts carry on as it were.
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    OK, motorcycles are now illegal and there's no medical treatment if you crash, why should society pick up the tab for the consequences of you not driving a car?

I'd legalise all drugs. Make them available through licenced, controlled and taxed channels so that users can trust the strength and quality of the product. How much money do we currently throw down the hole of utterly failing enforcement activity?
    Riding a motorcycle is no different from driving a car, as both have an inherent danger of crashing, simply because they are moving and more so on public roads. The illustration would be valid if you were referring to the charge of dangerous/reckless driving/riding, instead.

Your idea of legalising would do no more good than currently as who's going to pay the prices charged when they can grow/obtain it cheaper illegally?

The OP simply wants to be able to smoke cannabis without consequence in law. I doubt he or his supporters would be interested in your idea.

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    The OP wishes to amend an unfair law. He like 100,000 NZers have been known to the law as cannabis users for ages. Sometimes it not the police that are the problem. At least some of the cops I've known

Bike
    Look at Oz and I think you could be wrong!

But I agree with the waste of money that govt addiction services often are. Not always though and many do get the help they needed.

It would be heartless to deny help to those that need it. As usual govt spending in these tradtional areas is not the answer.

Education is the fence at the top of the cliff, and good education rather than scare stories like reefer madness, is where money should be spent. Under prohibition any reasonable education is more difficult
    Education is the key, of course, along with parental guidance and example. Children will do as they see, not as they hear when it comes to parents. They need good examples and to see the bad consequences of bad decisions. Starting from babyhood. Schools can be a huge help, but can't replace parents who have the major influence on their children.

How honest are you with others about why you smoke cannabis? The only reason to smoke it is to get stoned. You may call it relaxing but cannabis is a depressant and like tobacco has only a detrimental physical effect, (including paranoia), and can also lead to cancer of the throat, mouth, lungs as well as emphysema and a few other nasties.

Would you be open with your kids about that? Would you as a parent encourage your children to take up a health hazard for recreation?

Bike
    Trans NZ Broliner
    heres why: As an undiagnosed autistic the social problems I had from a young age found relief around surfing, the beach and cannabis. Like many 'loners' who find relief in the surf and cannabis, self medicating a reasonably benign substance is popular, and drinking is bad for your surfing..... The Daktory has a few autistics from birth, abused children, that sort of thing. okay Ed?

Fuck this

Bike
    bandit
    Going by some of the absolutely beautiful women at The Daktory, as of late, some stoner guys must be fairly sharp, or those lovelies actually enjoy cannabis too!
    If you've every mixed sex and cannabis you'd understand.
    "So if you meet me, have some sympathy, have some courtesy, have some taste ..."

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by mashman View Post
    Are they gonna do a Welly version ... imagine the revenue generation if it was legalised , t'would be a big boost for tourism too...
    the interesting thing about that proposal is that the weed growers in California all* voted against Proposition 19, which would have legalised cannabis, and opened the way for the government to tax it. Why? they were worried about the agribusiness giants i.e. corporate Mrka muscling in on their business. So they voted against legalisation on the basis they didnt want their business model which is quite successful though sort of illegal being screwed with. My understanding is that if you have a prescription, you can buy from "non-profit" marijuana clubs, and that prescriptions are fairly readily available.

I thnk its fascinating. Its also another example why prohibition in any form just does not work. It can be as legal as you like, it won't increase my consumption by one iota.

*apparently
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information