Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest helmets for adventure riding?

Bike
    Sportster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post
    The colour pretty much covers how awsome it is.
    That is a very cool looking helmet. I am rather partial to yellow and black as a colour scheme though.

I love the way they have put authentic in quotation marks LOL

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    +1 I've been very happy with mine.
    +2... most awesome
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Bike
    DR650SE, BMW R80GS, R1150R
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Those scream "I'm a hairdresser please take me from behind now!!!" more than any helmet i've seen
    Wheeeee - well I don't fit that catagory - but the MX'rs helmets with their garishly painted lids ain't too macho either! They tend to scream "I look cool but I've really got a wee peepee".

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
    My 0.02c.....
    peripheral vision...turn your head,
    Peripheral vision and turning your head - kinda defeats the purpose of peripheral vision - typically I ride in towns with the flip top flipped up, which really helps and I want a Adv helmet that either does the same or has better side vision.

On on - thanks for the feedback - I'll get something nasty and cheap - if it don't work out, I'll bin it and start again.
    paulj - Illegitimis nil carborundum

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    Peripheral vision and turning your head - kinda defeats the purpose of peripheral vision.
    How good is your peripheral vision?

The reason I suggest turning your head is two fold:
    Firstly, the reason I wear a helmet is for the protection it can give and that means a helmet with limited visibility out of it to maintain the strength of the helmet around my head. I will concede I have a habit of lying down on the ground so maybe better riding skills may be usefull but I seem somewhat challenged in that department and have to live with it......(There is no need of photographic evidence, Cary).
    Secondly, peripheral vision is a bit over rated, it's a secondary function of eyesight and provides a glimpse of things happening around us rather than a clear image. Me, I want to know what's going on around me on the road rather than find out that flash of yellow actually is a Peterbuilt on a side street. Turn your head and let your eyes work properly.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    HJC CL-XS works for me. What other people think it looks like is irrelevant. I haven't put it to the ultimate test yet (I seem to land on anything but my head)
    Expensive enough to convince me it will probably work as intended, cheap enough to scrap without a second thought if it get bashed hard
    http://www.motomail.co.nz/estore/style/hjheclxs.aspx
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    800XC

This one does me............

FFM Matrix - only comes in black though (unless you want skulls on your helmet) - cheap as chips - quite comfy, bit noisy but nothing ear plugs don't fix (and I reckon noise comes with peaks?)

http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...re_helmet.aspx

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    How good is your peripheral vision?

The reason I suggest turning your head is two fold:
    Firstly, the reason I wear a helmet is for the protection it can give and that means a helmet with limited visibility out of it to maintain the strength of the helmet around my head. I will concede I have a habit of lying down on the ground so maybe better riding skills may be usefull but I seem somewhat challenged in that department and have to live with it......(There is no need of photographic evidence, Cary).
    Secondly, peripheral vision is a bit over rated, it's a secondary function of eyesight and provides a glimpse of things happening around us rather than a clear image. Me, I want to know what's going on around me on the road rather than find out that flash of yellow actually is a Peterbuilt on a side street. Turn your head and let your eyes work properly.

I think its more about visibility than peripheral vision. Almost any helmet pretty well blocks your peripheral vision but by moving you eyes you can easily see quite a bit of the helmet and the wider that opening is the more you can effectively see without having to move your head. But of course the larger the window the more protection is removed.
    I notice a pretty big difference between my bmw enduro helmet and my road one (agv s4), but it is more about the shape of the chin part of the helmet. After riding heaps with the bmw when I go to use the road helmet it feels very closed in, but it is more about the downward visibility than to the sides. I really don't think I would like to wear my road helmet off-road riding at all. I need to be able to see the stuff I am going to run into/over, without seeing it where is the fun part?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Those scream "I'm a hairdresser please take me from behind now!!!" more than any helmet i've seen
    Like, totally!

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post
    I think its more about visibility than peripheral vision.
    Airoh S4: http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...adventure.aspx

Best visibility I've come across. Light weight, very good quality. Slightly noisy for road touring.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    DR650SE, BMW R80GS, R1150R
    Well - now I don't have to make a decision - get them all in the one helmet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAXG...layer_embedded
    paulj - Illegitimis nil carborundum

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by paulj View Post
    Well - now I don't have to make a decision - get them all in the one helmet!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjAXG...layer_embedded
    I havent seen one in the flesh but I chased up some reviews and It didnt get any good reviews. Shame, because the concept is good.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Airoh S4: http://www.forbesanddavies.co.nz/pro...adventure.aspx

Best visibility I've come across. Light weight, very good quality. Slightly noisy for road touring.
    Our dealer in NP doesnt have the S4 in stock. Does anyone have one of these or seen one in a bike shop ?

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    Our dealer in NP doesnt have the S4 in stock. Does anyone have one of these or seen one in a bike shop ?
    I've looked at it and second Oceans comments, riders all noted a high noise level, I'm really paranoid about noise so didn't look further. Nice helmet to wear tho.

Chris, have a look at how your eyesight works, we have excellent vision in a very focused area, if you want to see everything you need to be moving your head.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    I've looked at it and second Oceans comments, riders all noted a high noise level, I'm really paranoid about noise so didn't look further. Nice helmet to wear tho.

Chris, have a look at how your eyesight works, we have excellent vision in a very focused area, if you want to see everything you need to be moving your head.
    Interesting, Web bike worlds review said on unfaired bikes they were one of the quietist helmets they had tested but were a bit noisy on some half faired bikes so I guess it depends on what ya got.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...airoh-helmets/

Bike
    2001 R1150GS
    even with ear plugs all i hear is Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump.
    took the plugs out and now the Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump sounds even better.
    'Good things come to those who wait'
    Bollocks, get of your arse and go get it

Thread Information