Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest helmets for adventure riding?

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    Quote Originally Posted by dino3310 View Post
    even with ear plugs all i hear is Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump.
    took the plugs out and now the Thump Thump Thump Thump Thump sounds even better.
    When I get my Big Bore kit all i'll hear is
    THUMP THUMP THUMP

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Funny about the peripheral vision thing. I had 4 helmets (since binned 1), 2 road, 1 offroad, and an adventure. On the horizontal, they were all virtually the same. On the virtical, the road ones gave slightly less vision, but honestly, there's FA difference.

For me, the big plus with the adventure jobs is the ventilation. You get the visor like a road jobby and the breeze like an offroad one. Only downside is the slight distortion as Gav said.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Airoh S4.....I had a brief look at the specs again, 1400grams? My Shoei (road) is 1350 and my Shark (off road) is a couple of hundred lighter again, how heavy is heavy?

Just curious, as the more your head gets bounced around the more tired your neck adn shoulders get, and in my case, that's when it turns to shit.

Right, off to mow the lawns, clean the cars, service the bike, spray the weeds then , if it's still daylight, off the the sandpit.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    !400 g seems fairly light. Heres a link to WebBike Worlds Helmet Weight Chart

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    !400 g seems fairly light. Heres a link to WebBike Worlds Helmet Weight Chart

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm
    It is and because of the nice fit, the S4 seems lighter still! Compared to the Tour XD I have from Arai, this is very light composite helmet made for riding long distance.

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    I have just arranged to have the Airoh Rep bring some S4's to our Dealer in NP for a look next time he is down. About half the cost of the Shoei or Arai. They just need to fit right !

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Those helmet weights make interesting reading Phil, I wasn't aware they varied so much.
    Look forward to your opinion of the S4.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
    Interesting, Web bike worlds review said on unfaired bikes they were one of the quietist helmets they had tested but were a bit noisy on some half faired bikes so I guess it depends on what ya got.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...airoh-helmets/
    Sorry dude, been away. You can configure them several ways, some of which involve bits of plastic clipped to strategic areas. If you don't get them right there's noise.

Get hold of these guys: http://www.vroom.co.nz/ and see if they can help you.

Edit: Helmet noise can really only be compared with the same bike / dude. The airflow and turbulence issues make each combination unique.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    DRZ400E
    I've got the S4 and love it, priced well, lightweight, great vision, and looks pretty sharp. With my bike setup I do not suffer from wind noise some S4 owners comment on

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    With my bike setup I do not suffer from wind noise some S4 owners comments on
    The noise is speed related

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    I thought the S4 was a different construction to the Shoei, Arai etc. I can't remember the specifics now but a salesmen in Melbourne recommended I didn't get one due to the potential speeds I could be coming off at on the 950 and how the helmet would handle higher speed impacts due to it's method of construction.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    I thought the S4 was a different construction to the Shoei, Arai etc. I can't remember the specifics now but a salesmen in Melbourne recommended I didn't get one due to the potential speeds I could be coming off at on the 950 and how the helmet would handle higher speed impacts due to it's method of construction.
    He didn't point you toward the more expensive helmets did he?

Bike
    . .
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The noise is speed related
    Low blow mate. Broken bikes don't have no speed

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    He didn't point you toward the more expensive helmets did he?
    No he didn't try to sell me a more expensive one. I had made it clear I was checking them out cause at the time I had never seen one in NZ, and his other helmets werent cheap enough to be worth buying one and taking it home.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Thread Information