Thread: 86's PMCC Summer Series Round 3

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200

86's PMCC Summer Series Round 3

Well what a brilliant weekend’s racing!

Took a half day annual leave on Friday and got home to find Cowboyz and Sarge starting the load up the bike process. Thanks chaps

Cowboyz and I hit the road about 5 and after gassing up at Feilding we had a most enjoyable cruise up the island arriving at the track just after 9. Thanks to MSTRS for the tent putting up in the dark session

Day 1. Practise.

Up nice and early to a beautiful day in Taupo with no sign of the forecast rain!

Met up with Martin Peck and got the bikes set up in the garage. Very glad we spent that little bit extra and got to chill out in comfort out of the sun. Had a good crew in the garage, Cowboyz, Martin, Supersonic, Paul Koot and Darren Calder.

I’d not really had a decent ride at Taupo before, having attempted the RR Spectacular, but the rain was just too much. So I was quite looking forward to a good dry run and a chance to try out the long track for the first time.

I went out in the medium group for the first couple of sessions just taking it easy. I’d heard quite a few comments on how slippery the track can be and so kept that in mind. It took a few rounds to get used to the best markers and when and where to make gear changes and after 2 sessions I still wasn’t feeling comfortable with it.

My other problem was my rear tyre. Don’t get me wrong, its a PR2 which is an awesome tyre and has been outstanding throughout the winter series but, at the end of the day I’ve got 18 inch rims and the rear tyre is oversize. This gives it a very large dropoff and when it’s leaned over the contact patch is buggerall. Which means it slides. Mostly I feel it coming and correct, but I have had a couple of nasty ones which have almost lowsided me. Today was no exception and I got big slides in two particular places, one going into the midfield sweeper and the other during the hairpin onto the back straight.

The only solution was to try and hang off a bit more, slow down a little, and in the case of the hairpin, not change down too low which robbed me of a bit of drive out. Still, better being a little late out than dumping myself in the middle if the track I figure.

About this time, during sessions, I got talking to Nigel and during the course of the conversation was kindly offered a ride on his mighty 150cc Chinese built one of a kind avgas running Senke bucket

Now, this looked liked a very fun wee machine indeed so I kitted up and jumped on. About now I got the briefing that the gear shifts were all 5 down then neutral then back to first! Sounded ‘challenging’ so off I go, joining in at the back of the slow session.

Awesome fun alright and I’m getting the hang of the gear changes. It even has a gear position indicator which would be great in the dark, but absolutely useless in daylight The thing sounds great and I’m tapped out in top, lying on the tank and having a marvelous time. I see Skippy on her CBR 250 in the distance and very slowly draw up behind.

Coming out of turn 1 I go through the gears and suddenly discover the ‘joys’ of the gearbox design. Without going into the painful details, I find out the hard way why there’s a good reason that most other gearboxes aren’t designed this way and I nearly bin it into the grass before making a very undignified recovery and carry on my merry way trying to make up my lost ground lol.

Over the next couple of laps I slowly draw closer to Sue who is looking like she is highly amused by this little red bee buzzing around in her wake and it was hilarious to find myself outpowered by the CBR

I’ve gotta say though, that zipping around the track on this wee thing was one of the weekend highlights for me, nice one Sue and thanks Nigel for giving me a shot

One surprisingly nice benefit of blatting around at full noise on the Senke was that the next 2 sessions back on the Gixxer in the fast group all seemed to make sense of the track and at the end of the day I finally felt comfortable with it, even the repairs.

Packed up for the day, headed into town with Cowboyz and Polly (Martin) for supplies for the trackside barbie, had a great fry up, talked shit with froggyfrenchman and clan before heading to the tent for a quite decent nights sleep all things considering.

Day 2. Qualifying.

Went out for Posties qualifying, found some clear track and managed a 1:55 which gave me position 9 on the grid of 20. Quite pleased with that although I suspected that this may not be the final running order as some others seemed to have been sitting back a little.

Race 1.

Having no tyre warmers I was especially glad of the long warm up lap and found my spot tucked up 3rd back on the inside. This was my first start at Taupo and I could see that it would be a very intense sprint down to turn 1.

Sure enough, it was bloody mayhem into the first turn and I narrowly avoided being swiped off the bike on a couple of occasions. It was a bit messy around the infield with lots of jostling, but eventually I was either passed or managed to pass and found some relatively clear track.

About two laps in I passed Peter Ellis on bike 42 on the back straight but was re taken under brakes going into the chicane. There was a fair bit of dicing around turn 1 and into the midfield and he managed to get past Martin Peck just before turn 4 when he overcooked it and went down hard right in front of us at the end of the short straight leading into the sweeper.

Right now what? With very little time to react, Martin went inside him before cranking it over into the sweeper and getting round.

It’s funny how time slows down in these situations really and I was able see his and his bikes trajectories in slow motion as they slid in a straight line across the track and into the grass. Braking heavily, I was able to slip around the inside of them and get leaned over for the turn. Amazing amount of dust stirred up by bike and rider and I’m glad to learn that he got off reasonably lightly with a possible broken finger.

I’d lost quite a lot of ground on Martin by now but was able to gain on him going into the hairpin leading to the sweeper. Just quietly, I suspect that he may have been taking it easy having the championship pretty much in the bag and didn’t want to risk a bin. However, I wasn’t able to get past despite a couple a nearlys, especially coming out of the chicane on the last lap where if I’d had just a bit more power I may just have managed it. It was not to be though and it was a bloody good race and apparently made for quite good spectating. Finished 11th overall, 4th in class with a 1:53.278.

Race 2.

Pretty much the same type of start with a mass of bikes going into turn 1. I saw that Gian Louie on another Gixxer 750 had had a blindingly good start from pos 12 and had absolutely smoked the turn and was well ahead of me and just behind Martin. I managed to get in behind the two them but had very little chance of getting past. I managed to pass Gian once on the back straight but he got me again in the chicane. So that was the order. Three same vintage Gixxers battling it out the whole way, nothing in it, hugely exciting racing and I came in feeling stoked but wishing I hadn’t been 3rd in the lineup lol. Finished 12th overall 6th in class with a 1:53:750.

Looking at the results afterwards though I noted that my laptimes were up to a second faster than the guys ahead of me so that made me feel a bit better

So, overall, a great weekend and a huge learning curve once again.

Lessons learnt? Brake later, use the correct gear for the conditions. Do not use oversize tyres. And get better starts!

But the best part. Taking out the trophy for third place in Post Classic Senior! Absolutely stoked with that!

Huge thanks to the Pacific Club organisers and marshalls, and to Michelle, Cowboyz, Sarge, Sonic and everyone else who has given support and encouragement. It’s been a brilliant season of racing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3487.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	209.2 KB 
ID:	232258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summer Series Round 13 Feb 10 031.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	232259  
    It's only Rock and Roll but I like it

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Looked good out there too. I been saying all season about the starts and you know it. Considering all things being a 750 on road tyres vs a 1100 on slicks Im thinking getting some 17 inch wheels and you will leap ahead.

All in all it was as much fun off the track as it was on it and I really enjoyed the weekend. Bring on a big W for the winter series!

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Well done that man! A really good read too

While the rules in pre89, are not closely followed, but they may be further in the future. This could cause probs with running 17 inch wheels, I think mnz even ruled out parts from other makes, where you could have fitted ZXR750 17's. Also dropping the bike onto 17's with modern low profile tyres may throw up some unexpected issues in handling and ground clearance. There is some light at the end of the tunnel me thinks...I believe the 1988 1100 3 spoke wheels may well be bolt in and ride away items

P.S. The 88J model 1100 is my favorite GSXR of alll time

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    good Reading Al & great to see the results of the last 12 months resultiing in a podium finish in the series

catch up soon
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    Looked good out there too. I been saying all season about the starts and you know it. Considering all things being a 750 on road tyres vs a 1100 on slicks Im thinking getting some 17 inch wheels and you will leap ahead.

All in all it was as much fun off the track as it was on it and I really enjoyed the weekend. Bring on a big W for the winter series!
    Cheers! There sure would be quite a few advantages in dropping to 17 inch and therefore gaining the confidence that comes from a decent fitting tyre although Anthony raises some good points. If nothing else though, it goes to show what a great tyre the Pilot Road 2 really is. Amen to May!

Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Well done that man! A really good read too

While the rules in pre89, are not closely followed, but they may be further in the future. This could cause probs with running 17 inch wheels, I think mnz even ruled out parts from other makes, where you could have fitted ZXR750 17's. Also dropping the bike onto 17's with modern low profile tyres may throw up some unexpected issues in handling and ground clearance. There is some light at the end of the tunnel me thinks...I believe the 1988 1100 3 spoke wheels may well be bolt in and ride away items

P.S. The 88J model 1100 is my favorite GSXR of alll time
    Thanks Anthony, and good points! I wonder if anyone would notice the change lol and yes, it would pay to investigate the handling and clearance issues. I've scraped both sides a few times already and wouldn't want that to get any worse. Hopefully the handling would benefit slightly as its not the easiest bike to move around on? I think there may be some limited 18" slick options available which would be easier on the budget for sure.

Bloody nice bike that 88

Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    good Reading Al & great to see the results of the last 12 months resultiing in a podium finish in the series

catch up soon
    Thanks babe it was a magic weekend alright and I was trying not to think about the result too much, mainly to avoid the crushing blow of defeat Having said that, I'm glad there were only 3 rounds and not 4 lol

Definitely catch up soon!

Bike
    RGV250
    Well Done.

As another option:
    Heidenau do race compounds in 110/80-18 and 130/70-18.
    Both H rated, tubeless.

Racey.

Bike
    Thanks for that. I'd be happy with a good quality, correct fitting 18" race tyre if I can find one. I googled Heidenau and will contact the supplier and see how we go. Cheers!

Bike
    RGV250
    Or you could just buy them through Me... who has them there at the track most times, and is putting money back into Our up and coming young racers.
    Racey

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Nice write up Al, sounds like you guys a a great weekend. Definitely reckon it's time to either source some 17's or if (as you say) find some reasonable 18" slicks for the cheaper option. 17's would open up a fairly decent range of rubber though.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Was near pissing myself watching you hone in on Skippy on the Senke! Best entertainment of the day, especially when you muffed that gear change!
    Congrats on your podium finish too!
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by RideLife View Post
    Or you could just buy them through Me... who has them there at the track most times, and is putting money back into Our up and coming young racers.
    Racey
    Sounds like a plan! I'm all for supporting motorcycling any way I can. PM on the way

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Nice write up Al, sounds like you guys a a great weekend. Definitely reckon it's time to either source some 17's or if (as you say) find some reasonable 18" slicks for the cheaper option. 17's would open up a fairly decent range of rubber though.
    It sure would Sarge, although if I can get some 18" slicks and some tyre warmers I'll do that

It was a great weekend, pity you weren't able to make it, there will be a next time tho!

Quote Originally Posted by yungatart View Post
    Was near pissing myself watching you hone in on Skippy on the Senke! Best entertainment of the day, especially when you muffed that gear change!
    Congrats on your podium finish too!
    Cheers Janet LOL, glad you enjoyed the show, it was brilliant fun eh. If I'd binned it I could have saved crash a trip and carried it in myself I reckon Tbh tho, I reckon the Senke was probably the best way to learn the track in the end

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    It sure would Sarge, although if I can get some 18" slicks and some tyre warmers I'll do that
    Yeah fair enough, sounds like 18" slicks are do-able but the tyre warmers might be a bit of a challenge but ya never know. At least on the original 18's you aren't reducing your rolling circumference in any way so it shouldn't reduce your ground clearance as a result.

Bike
    Speed Triple - in bogan black
    Watching the three slabsides go at it was the highlight of my weekend! Gian is still buzzing about it, and we are stealing some copies of that photo... Ah yes... Talking crap was a bit of fun too

BTW - Gian is 'louieville' on KB if you didnt know...
    There is no dark side of the moon, really, as a matter of fact. Its all dark...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by froggyfrenchman View Post
    Watching the three slabsides go at it was the highlight of my weekend! Gian is still buzzing about it, and we are stealing some copies of that photo... Ah yes... Talking crap was a bit of fun too

BTW - Gian is 'louieville' on KB if you didnt know...
    Cheers Daniel, it was an awesome race eh! I have quite a few more pics and a video of the first lap courtesy of Cowboyz. If you and Gian would like copies PM me your email addys and I'll pass em on. See you guys at the Winter Series if not before

Thread Information