Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd hand purchase advice please

Bike
    lambo

Question 2nd hand purchase advice please

Hello

Looking for cheap sport bike.

Can someone comment on the engine work done? Seems extensive.
    Spark plugs Gaskets Gasketcylinder Base Tensioner Assy Ring set piston O ring Gasket Head Cam Chain Gasket bearing cap Gasket head cover Seal oil Ring 0 Ring 0 head cov bolts Oil filter Fuel system clean
    Is it weakness on the bike model or the age or a fault on this particular bike?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=982327656

no bids on the auction so does this mean it's overpriced or people afraid of no WOF / engine work?

appreciate any advice.

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    sometimes bikes take a while to sell - doesnt necessarily mean anything.

My key issues would be WHY was all the work done - only a direct question to the seller is going to tell you that. I have not owned one myself, but understood them to have fairly strong engines so couldnt answer as to why it required the work.

Im also suspicious of bikes being sold as 'runs and rides well' - but does not have a reg / wof - WOF being the key point.

ask him if he is prepared to put a wof on it before auction end

Bike
    Between bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by fatjoez View Post
    Looking for cheap sport bike.
    Not many people looking for dear ones.

Can someone comment on the engine work done? Seems extensive.

Is it weakness on the bike model or the age or a fault on this particular bike?
    Who knows why it needed all that stuff (if it even needed it). Ask the seller and see if they seem genuine. That model is not particularly known for grenading engines, on the contrary, pretty much any Jap sportsbike since the turn of the century (indeed, before) has been known to go for twice the k's that bike has with only basic maintenance.

I have an 06 ZX6R with 80thou on the clock if that gives you any indication. I forget exactly how much, it doesn't really bother me.

Seems to me some people are worried the bike hasn't had work, and others are worried that it HAS had work... the seller can't win. Ride it for yourself, is the only way to figure it out.

Occasionally the seller might sell without a WOF because there's something wrong with it. Other times it's for a reasonable reason - they work 70 hours a week, they have lost their licence / the use of their limbs, they're incarcerated, they are on an oil rig right now and it's being sold by mom/dad/a mate.....
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Between bikes
    One other thing that just sprang to mind.

What sort of con artist would spend $$$ on a bike if they knew it was fucked. If it was fucked they'd just sell it as is, pretending it's OK. So since he has the receipts, you can sight those and that should give you fairly reasonable peace of mind.
    "It's hard to keep an open mind, when so many people are trying to put things in it"

Bike
    Sold
    To be clear about WOF's, this is direct from the NZTA site:

Warrant of fitness required

Buyers can insist on a WoF being less than one month old. This helps protect them if faults have developed in the vehicle since the last WoF check.

If the buyer doesn’t insist on this, they should give the seller written confirmation that they accept that the WoF is older than one month old. This protects the seller – it confirms that the buyer is aware that the current WoF is older than one month.

Vehicles without a current WoF must be advertised for sale ‘as is, where is’. If the buyer is happy with that, they should give the seller a written undertaking that the vehicle won't be used on the road except for taking it for repair or a new WoF inspection.

If the seller is really keen, you'd think that they wouldn't have an issue organising a WOF to complete a sale. If I was bidding, it would be conditional on it getting a warrant but that's just me.

Bike
    lambo
    Engine work done by previous owner.

Blown head gasket lol!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427719971.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	317510

WOF will not be supplied with bike

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one
    Engine work done by previous owner.

Blown head gasket lol!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	427719971.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	317510

WOF will not be supplied with bike
    Tell him to get fucked.

if he cant be bothered spending $40 odd bucks proving its roadworthyness theres a good chance theres something he doesnt want you to know.

Or take it for a test ride and take it to a wof place yourself to see what they say

Bike
    2000 Ducati ST2
    Just general advice... if you go ahead, don't just take a look at the bike. Take a look at his place. If there's half-done projects around which seem to have run out of money or oomph, walk away... the bike isn't going to be any better.

Bike
    2012 Fireblade
    Give red baron a call see if they recall working on it. Its done sweet F A km since it had the top end work so I'd say its worth a look.
    Check the cooling system out as a blown head gasket at lowish kms usually means its overheated badly at some point
    Hes probably skint (or lazy) if he isnt keen on getting a wof - either of which means hes likely to drop the price by a fair chunk.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!

Blah

Quote Originally Posted by Runty View Post
    Give red baron a call see if they recall working on it. Its done sweet F A km since it had the top end work so I'd say its worth a look.
    Check the cooling system out as a blown head gasket at lowish kms usually means its overheated badly at some point
    Hes probably skint (or lazy) if he isnt keen on getting a wof - either of which means hes likely to drop the price by a fair chunk.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    Wot He said.
    Take the bloody thing for a quiet test ride, you know, don't fang the shit out if it and when you get back, if it's not snorting through the radiator it's probably going to give you great service for many year to come, the lazy bar stewards loss your gain.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    2011 yamaha scorpio

Assistance with bike inspection

Who to ask to have a look at a bike in Tauranga for me? I'm obviously happy to pay for it. I'm in Auckland and don't want to go all the way for nuffin.lazy eh?

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    what the fuck cunt

Bike
    2011 yamaha scorpio

Assistance with bike inspection

Are we showing our lack of English then.?
    As a first time user of kiwibiker that's not quite the type of response I expected.
    Are you all like that?

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Metro View Post
    Are we showing our lack of English then.?
    As a first time user of kiwibiker that's not quite the type of response I expected.
    Are you all like that?

lolol pretty much. but he is the most special Princess of us all.

I can't help with going to TGA sorry ....
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    did you rtfm, billy?

Thread Information