Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who says adv bikes can't race...

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    Yip..... Me 'n' Piglet will be keenish.....

depending.....
    Remember how we were commenting on Piglets gay run in one of the DB1K photo's?

Have a look at the helmet cam video where I come off, Piglet runs back to help me pick the bike up, check his running style out

Your assistance was greatly appreciated Tom, really
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Remember how we were commenting on Piglets gay run in one of the DB1K photo's?

Have a look at the helmet cam video where I come off, Piglet runs back to help me pick the bike up, check his running style out

Your assistance was greatly appreciated Tom, really
    Fish, barrel, shooting, gay runner, DR rider.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Fish, barrel, shooting, gay runner, DR rider.
    Hey lets leave that dirty little piggy out of things-

he's a good kisser
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    92 R80 GS
    All the other Naki riders are broken

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    2 options for this sort of "race".

2 people 1 bike or 2 people 2 bikes.

Actually I think that both would be about even. 2-2 would be quicker on transport sections and 2-1 quicker in the gnarly bits.

I played on a couple of sections that'd require pushing/pulling and significant lifting.

Arrows on corners and dazzle for the bits you need to "tag".

Or even a home made set of cards where at each dead end section, you take your card from the pile and the first one back with all their cards is teh winnerz.

Start point of Bottom of Steep Rd for the Steep and Middle Rd sections and then off to Mt Duppa and the Lost Highway with maybe even lifting the bikes over the ditches/rocks and onto SH6 and back...

2 people, 1 bike would be sooo cool

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Or even a home made set of cards where at each dead end section, you take your card from the pile and the first one back with all their cards is teh winnerz.
    NADS & North Islanders (and that's not even mentioning the one eyes)- I reckon the chances of those piles not being "lost" or "hidden" for following riders may be quite small - or am I just a cynical old bustard?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    2 options for this sort of "race".

2 people 1 bike or 2 people 2 bikes.

Actually I think that both would be about even. 2-2 would be quicker on transport sections and 2-1 quicker in the gnarly bits.

I played on a couple of sections that'd require pushing/pulling and significant lifting.

Arrows on corners and dazzle for the bits you need to "tag".

Start point of Bottom of Steep Rd for the Steep and Middle Rd sections and then off to Mt Duppa and the Lost Highway with maybe even lifting the bikes over the ditches/rocks and onto SH6 and back...

2 people, 1 bike would be sooo cool
    No def have tobe 2 different bikes. That waywe could evenhave 'factory' teams. Ilikethe idea of using parts of the xcountry in Hira as the tracks that follow the road up Bobs fern & Maitai face rd are parallel to the road in case it's too slippery for big bikes.

I was thinking fun& challenging but also big bike friendly as there are heaps of eventsfor pip squeak bikes.

Riding into a certain doom with gorse soon loses its appeal.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Bikes must weigh no less than 150kg fully fuelled, and have dot tyres fitted.

Maybe extra points or no time penalties for getting the bikes up / through the really gnarly bits, no matter how you manage to get up / through.

Yeah
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
    Bikes must weigh no less than 150kg fully fuelled, and have dot tyres fitted.

Maybe extra points or no time penalties for getting the bikes up / through the really gnarly bits, no matter how you manage to get up / through.

Yeah
    I am keen but this weight ruling would count me out. Can we have an "light weight" or dual sport class as well?

Do it orienteering styles. Have a topomap with a bunch of points marked, people find their own way to each of the points and can do them in any order. Routes to each point would generally be pretty obvious as they will be on roads. At each point you stamp your card with the stamp. Each point has a different stamp on a string. Have an ice cream container at each point in an obvious location so you know when you are there. No GPS's allowed.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    uKTM Tiger 800xc
    about time we saw some history on this forum hehehawhaw..nice one Nord
    ....wherezz that track go

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    NADS & North Islanders (and that's not even mentioning the one eyes)- I reckon the chances of those piles not being "lost" or "hidden" for following riders may be quite small - or am I just a cynical old bustard?
    You're just a Crim.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    No def have tobe 2 different bikes. That waywe could evenhave 'factory' teams. Ilikethe idea of using parts of the xcountry in Hira as the tracks that follow the road up Bobs fern & Maitai face rd are parallel to the road in case it's too slippery for big bikes.

I was thinking fun& challenging but also big bike friendly as there are heaps of eventsfor pip squeak bikes.

Riding into a certain doom with gorse soon loses its appeal.
    Catch with Hira is the entry fee...

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Most excellent video. Hope you don't mind if i pilfer. My mate in Scotland ( a viking with #15 feet ) used to ride his Dommie like that at times.

Bike
    Africa Twin / XRV 750 (RD04L)
    Blog Entries
    its awesome watching those big bikes - they have their inertia, that's for sure. They're pushing them hard and then once they start to go....well, it just gets untidy.
    There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find adventure and those who go secretly hoping they won't. We should come home from our adventures having faced their perils and uncertainties, endured their discomfort and beaten the odds, with a sly acknowledgment and revitalised solidarity of character.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by cooneyr View Post
    Do it orienteering styles. Have a topomap with a bunch of points marked, people find their own way to each of the points and can do them in any order. Routes to each point would generally be pretty obvious as they will be on roads. At each point you stamp your card with the stamp. Each point has a different stamp on a string. Have an ice cream container at each point in an obvious location so you know when you are there. No GPS's allowed.
    Was thinking of the orienteering(ish) angle too.

GPS waypoints with no background maps allowed and offroad routing turned on.

Knowing you're only 50m away but there's a bluff there

That way it's much easier to set up and no having to rush around on the morning of the ride making sure everything is still in place.
    Looking at the GPS track later we can see if you got them all.

If the course is set up on a DR650 with road tyres then anything should be able to get around.

2 on 2: One bike has to be over 150kg wet.
    2 on 1: If bike <150kg wet then one rider has to be over 90kg wet.

No machetes/chainsaws/slashers allowed.
    Bribery will be appreciated.

Thread Information