Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tossers costing us ACC levies

Bike
    77' CB750 Cafe Racer, 2009 Z750
    Where are you going to draw the line? Normal jeans will explode if you come off a 100KPH on tarseal. Surely even your wee brain can see the key to not being injured is to ride well in the first place.
    I love the smell of twin V16's in the morning..

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    normally couldn't bothered with him, but what did he expect?, he can slacken his head bandage now and be happy.
    Hope you never meet a maverick sheep on your travels...

I live, and mostly ride rurally. I am very aware of stock and keep my eyes open. Sheep invlove crawling past at walking speed, so you can avoid them if they change their mind about what they are doing. All well and good if you actually see them in the first place.

I have 2 friends that have been injured as a result of wandering stock, one a professionally trained rider.

Sheep are unpredictable, as are goats. Horses out at night are easily spooked into uncharacteristic behaviour. Cows have the potentail to kill you

If you dont know they are there, it is fairly hard to prepare yourself when they appear in front of you in the dark, or even in daylight for that matter. Speed is not necessarliy a factor either. Hitting a solid animal at 50 km/ph is going to mean a large off, no matter your skills. Farmers have a legal responsibility to keep their stock safely fenced in, so they dont wander onto the road. We really should not HAVE to look out for wandering stock, but we do...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Gone
    [QUOTE=DrMotard;1129991093]What is it with all those brain dead riders who kit up in T shirt, shorts and jandals when they ride - that's got to be a big contibutor to the medical and ACC vosts when they finally bite the tarseal (and they will)? I have taken to hunting them down and thanking them for being a @#%$wit and costing me heaps.

Sadly such a simplistic viewpoint is likely not supported by hard data. Anecdotally i see no evidence whatsoever to support this in my daily practice in an Emergency Dept. Plenty of ATGATT bikers however with limited skills or judgment (as well as just bad luck). A surprising LACK of scooter riders in fact
    "Age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill"

Bike
    2000 Aprilia RSV Mille,
    Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    A surprising LACK of scooter riders in fact
    To be fair the lack of speed is prolly what saves them.

As for safety gear - I just wonder how old matey 'fuck you - freedom of the road etc' feels about safey boots in industry. Or particle masks. Or safety glasses. Or seatbelts. Or lables on hazarous goods. Or traffic lights. Or using his brain even
    "I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it." -- Erwin Schrodinger talking about quantum mechanics.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Hope you never meet a maverick sheep on your travels...

I live, and mostly ride rurally. I am very aware of stock and keep my eyes open. Sheep invlove crawling past at walking speed, so you can avoid them if they change their mind about what they are doing. All well and good if you actually see them in the first place.

I have 2 friends that have been injured as a result of wandering stock, one a professionally trained rider.

Sheep are unpredictable, as are goats. Horses out at night are easily spooked into uncharacteristic behaviour. Cows have the potentail to kill you

If you dont know they are there, it is fairly hard to prepare yourself when they appear in front of you in the dark, or even in daylight for that matter. Speed is not necessarliy a factor either. Hitting a solid animal at 50 km/ph is going to mean a large off, no matter your skills. Farmers have a legal responsibility to keep their stock safely fenced in, so they dont wander onto the road. We really should not HAVE to look out for wandering stock, but we do...
    So it is OK to hit uncontrolled stock on the road, not your fault, accident didn't happen, not hurt, didn't see them, much like other motorists, pedestrians, anything else one the road, hit them too, not your fault so it's OK.
    I thinkyou are getting off the crux of the arguement a bit.
    I'm a dummy because I have not had multiple claims from motorcycle accidents, so I am not fully aware of the ins and outs of the ACC system. A DUMMY MY ARSE!!!!

Bike
    SF
    Well as I have not ridden recklessly and been outsmarted by a sheep and have had multiple head injuries through not being able to handle a motorcycle I would not know the ins and outs of ACC like you.
    WTF?? Really??

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    WTF?? Really??
    Should I have by now?

Bike
    It's a Ninja,that's why you can't see it
    So it is OK to hit uncontrolled stock on the road, not your fault, accident didn't happen, not hurt, didn't see them, much like other motorists, pedestrians, anything else one the road, hit them too, not your fault so it's OK.
    I thinkyou are getting off the crux of the arguement a bit.
    I'm a dummy because I have not had multiple claims from motorcycle accidents, so I am not fully aware of the ins and outs of the ACC system. A DUMMY MY ARSE!!!!
    Nah you are not a dummy, but you are an arse because you took easy offence to something Jame Deuce said and then insinuated that his accident was caused due to rider error, rather than loose livestock. Bit harsh IMO.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by wild_weston View Post
    Nah you are not a dummy, but you are an arse because you took easy offence to something Jame Deuce said and then insinuated that his accident was caused due to rider error, rather than loose livestock. Bit harsh IMO.
    Well JD will have to pick his pieces more carefully next time.

Bike
    . .

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Hey sweety, you need a chillax tablet.

I have NEVER made a motorcycle related claim on ACC either.

You dont actually need to be an claimant to know how the system works. I understand much, much, more than I need to know as a result of getting involved with issues surrounding the way the current ACC system is being manipulated by our current government. Get up to speed and stop dissing people for hitting wandering stock that should not be on the road in the first place!
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by spookytooth View Post
    Fuck sure get sick of wankers bleating on about what they think other ppl should or should not do/ wear. Get the fuck over it and look after yourself
    Normally I support individual freedom and personal choice but when it comes to ACC now ((like it or not) those freedoms and personal choices that are obviously high risk and dangerous are costing the rest of us a lot of money!

In other words while I applaud your right to choose, I prefer you keep your hand out of my wallet when you do so and get it wrong!

As they do in industry, perhaps ACC should charge people according to their demonstrated decision making skills and accident history!

Rebates for a proven record. (I.E.consequence)

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Normally I support individual freedom and personal choice but when it comes to ACC now ((like it or not) those freedoms and personal choices that are obviously high risk and dangerous are costing the rest of us a lot of money!

In other words while I applaud your right to choose, I prefer you keep your hand out of my wallet when you do so and get it wrong!

As they do in industry, perhaps ACC should charge people according to their demonstrated decision making skills and accident history!

Rebates for a proven record. (I.E.consequence)
    Here, here! We also need to protect ourselves around age (age both ways) and experience
    Nonono,

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by schrodingers cat View Post
    Ya better get the band wagon fired up for cyclists too then, they can travel just as fast as scooters and are less visible, shockingly I have never seen anyone having a waa about the protective capacity of lycra.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    Those who ride with minimal gear on are probably the same people who do all sorts of dumb risky shit but work on the 9 times out of 10 I"ll-be-right principle.
    I once told Placid Femme to eat shit and die after making this same dumb arse statement, you and her can start a club.

Quote Originally Posted by RideLife View Post
    One could argue that those riding around in shorts and T shirt are likely to be More careful in their riding, as they feel more vulnerable than those riding round in ‘Protect me from anything’ standard cotton jeans and long sleeved wind breaker.
    Most alert we get is operating in heightened risk situations.

Well as I have not ridden recklessly and been outsmarted by a sheep and have had multiple head injuries through not being able to handle a motorcycle I would not know the ins and outs of ACC like you.
    Jim can't handle a motorcycle you say? Ya fuckin retard, i've seen him ride and it's pretty bloody impressive! Most people round here wouldn't see which way he went, and he does it all on his own side of the road without speeding.

normally couldn't bothered with him, but what did he expect?, he can slacken his head bandage now and be happy.
    What a fuckin cock you are! You wanna pick on someone with a head injury, Shaun Harris is the one who spouts off without thought! Jim makes point of not rising to your kinda shit, so I'll do it instead. Next time there's a few Kiwihomo's/bikers around, find one who can point me out and come introduce yourself, I'll beat seven shades of shit out of you.

Quote Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
    Sadly such a simplistic viewpoint is likely not supported by hard data. Anecdotally i see no evidence whatsoever to support this in my daily practice in an Emergency Dept. Plenty of ATGATT bikers however with limited skills or judgment (as well as just bad luck). A surprising LACK of scooter riders in fact
    To be fair the lack of speed is prolly what saves them.
    Dunno what they're like in Aukland, but scooter riders tend to be pretty careful down here from what I've seen. Add that to push bike speeds and it seem pretty safe.

As for safety gear - I just wonder how old matey 'fuck you - freedom of the road etc' feels about safey boots in industry. Or particle masks. Or safety glasses. Or seatbelts. Or lables on hazarous goods. Or traffic lights. Or using his brain even
    I've been a commercial builder for ten years, my business partner for thirty, and neither he nor I can come up with a single time safety boots saved us a foot injury.

Safety glasses are now being taken too far, and on some sites must be worn at all times. Not required in anyone actually doing the jobs opinion, when they can hang around your neck till required.

The other items on your list are required whenever they can prevent injury, but do you sit in a parked car for a bite to eat with your belt on in a car park? It is very possible you will be crashed into, yet the risk is so much lower you don't think about it.

As for using ones head, I fully agree. And if someone has weighed the risks for themselves, and made a decision, who the fuck are we to question it?

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    helmets should not be compulsory.

We need a quicker way to kill the fuckers off.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Thread Information