Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Eddieb's DR build thread.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The only reason for the push cable is in case the slide sticks.
    The fcr has rollers on the slide as well.
    My XR race bike ran for 4 years with only the pull cable and got really choked up with mud without any issues.
    My stock bst carb would stick closed occasionally but only after some extended high speed running.

If your carb return spring were to break, you'd be in the poo but how often does that happen?
    I think the 950 was the first bike out of the over a dozen I've owned that has a throttle return cable and I've never had a spring break.

2-3mm of alloy does the flung stone thing very well.

Casing over rocks, not so well.
    A better bash plate is on my list, I'll be hunting around for a cheap and cheeful one.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    A better bash plate is on my list, I'll be hunting around for a cheap and cheeful one.
    Per Nordie, see if you can pick up a 100km/hr sign as opposed to a 50km/hr sign as you should be able to hit stuff faster with the 100km/hr sign.
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstaman View Post
    Per Nordie, see if you can pick up a 100km/hr sign as opposed to a 50km/hr sign as you should be able to hit stuff faster with the 100km/hr sign.
    The Stop sign is much better in this regard than a Give Way sign.

However a U-Turn sign would be the ultimate.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    I think the 950 was the first bike out of the over a dozen I've owned that has a throttle return cable and I've never had a spring break.

go down to ulrich aluminium and see what they got in the scrap bin....

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

Mirrors

The mirrors on my DR are shite, They're different heights, small and the don't stay in position.

In keeping with this thread I'm looking for some cheap and cheerful and also useful replacements. So far these are leading at $25 off Trade Me.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

Springs

The DR came with an Eibach rear spring and collar kit that looks very much like the offering from Keintech.

http://www.kientech.com/DR650EibachF...rSpringkit.htm

The spring is marked 'Eibach 252183'.

Does anyone know how to translate that into a spring rate? I checked out the Eibach site but couldn't even find bike springs and have Googled it but my Google fu wasn't strong.

Bike
    F800GS

Mirrors....

I've found the best mirrors to be genuine suzuki ones. Tried aftermarket ones from WFO and they were not worth a pinch of shit, vibrated, wouldn't stay in position, and the mirror fell out of one on it's first or second outing. Had a couple of other cheeeeap ones and they just didn't "cut the mustard"

as an example....http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Suzuki/D...-_Alternative/

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    The DR came with an Eibach rear spring and collar kit that looks very much like the offering from Keintech.
    The spring is marked 'Eibach 252183'.

Does anyone know how to translate that into a spring rate? I checked out the Eibach site but couldn't even find bike springs and have Googled it but my Google fu wasn't strong.
    Probably 7.6kg/mm which is what I'm running. Fat buggers go up to 8.5kg/mm or so. Stock is 6.7kg/mm.

Bike
    05 450 EXC, 990 S
    Try KTM EXC mirrors. I've had some for the last two bikes and now the current EXC and am happy with them. Also hopefully reasonably cheep as heaps of EXC's without road gear on them.

Cheers R
    "The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools." - Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Procycle ate my visa card. Now the wait begins.

Bike
    Designa Yello 2004 DR 650
    Probably 7.6kg/mm which is what I'm running. Fat buggers go up to 8.5kg/mm or so. Stock is 6.7kg/mm.
    Partial Thread Jack .. .would a 7.6 spring be suitable for two panniers and top box plus tent and some ancillary shit or would the 8.5 be a better bet?

Sorry Eddie, as your were....
    Cheers Andi & Ellen
    twomotokiwis.com
    Two Moto Kiwis Adventure Ride, May 3rd 2012 -> 20XX Prudhoe Bay Alaska -> Ushuaia Argentina -> Then Wherever We Point The Bars

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    The mirrors on my DR are shite, They're different heights, small and the don't stay in position.

In keeping with this thread I'm looking for some cheap and cheerful and also useful replacements. So far these are leading at $25 off Trade Me.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
    hmmm

I wonder if Andy would be interested in these ....

Bike
    800XC
    Lucky you went down the DR route Eddie, mirrors aren't quite as importanat as on a KLR so no real hurry - in a DR mirror things get bigger, in a KLR mirror things get smaller

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    Lucky you went down the DR route Eddie, mirrors aren't quite as importanat as on a KLR so no real hurry - in a DR mirror things get bigger, in a KLR mirror things get smaller
    Haha

Nah I like to watch the KLR riders get splattered with my roost as I fly past them.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstaman View Post
    Partial Thread Jack .. .would a 7.6 spring be suitable for two panniers and top box plus tent and some ancillary shit or would the 8.5 be a better bet?
    You'd probably get away with it.
    Wouldn't want to go heavier or once you pull the gear off it'll be waaaay over sprung.

Thread Information