View Poll Results: Do you wear a reflective safety vest?

Voters
368. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 13.04%
  • No

218 59.24%
  • I have one but don't wear it

23 6.25%
  • I don't have one, but would like one

26 7.07%
  • I have one but only wear it sometimes

53 14.40%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Safety vests

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    I think the "people notice threat" thing is real. When we look around whilst driving we see heaps of stuff that we don't actually take much notice of. Buildings, parked cars, etc. As the article said, people take notice of things that make them go "ohoh - what's that DANGER" Even if they then go "Oh, no it's OK"

I tried red vest, and yellow. The yellow was both more visible from a distance AND I noticed a definate increase in cager perception over the red. Based on watching their reaction as I approached . No vest, as often as not I'd see their eys glance over me, but no visible reaction. With the red vest I usually got a glance and pause. But with the yellow it was much more definately a glance pause focus . You could see their eyes "snap to". You culd almost see the little wheels in their head start up, and the steam come out their ears with the effort"Oh something's THERE. Gee IT'S COMING TOWARD ME. Wonder what I should do"

Of course, some people, nothing can help.

EDIT. Effect of yellow vest probably only applies in Auckland.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Sniff... None
    I think the vests are a great idea. I see them worn by the odd biker down here, and they seem to work really well at alerting me to them. Since I'm a biker and like living, my skills at recognising hazards are probably higher than the average cager. In saying that, I personally would not wear one. If you can't see a bright green motorcycle with it's lights on, you are beyond help.
    "You, Madboy, are the Uncooked Pork Sausage of Sausage Beasts. With extra herbs."
    - Jim2 c2006

Bike
    2006 vfr 800
    I never used to use a safety vest until a little old lady went thru a Give Way sign in Papakura..and T Boned me! Claimed she "Didnt see me" and I didnt "have my lights on".I then informed said old lady that the rfs light is permantly on while in use..numerous witness's couldnt believe that she did it in broad daylight,one lady in particular even quoted to her "remember..look out for motorbikes..?" I then started wearing a yellow vest for days and ive got a really good waterproof orange vest lined in polarfleece for night or heavy rain..so far ive had no further problems..touch wood!
    Too Old to Die Young

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone find a study to the contrary?
    http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/conte...d/328/7444/857
    Results Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%). After adjustment for potential confounders, drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.63, 95% confidence interval 0.42 to 0.94) than other drivers. Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.76, 0.57 to 0.99). Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk. Three quarters of motorcycle riders had their headlight turned on during the day, and this was associated with a 27% lower risk (multivariate odds ratio 0.73, 0.53 to 1.00). No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle. If these odds ratios are unconfounded, the population attributable risks are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.

Conclusions Low conspicuity may increase the risk of motorcycle crash related injury. Increasing the use of reflective or fluorescent clothing, white or light coloured helmets, and daytime headlights are simple, cheap interventions that could considerably reduce motorcycle crash related injury and death.
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    1963 Ford Thunderbird
    Someone, can't remember who, convinced me I had to have one so I duly bought one. Never worn it in daytime and only wore it riding home from work when I was finishing work in Wellington at 9.30pm and riding home to Lower Hutt. Not sure it made any difference (still got idiots pulling across in front of me) but I think people who DID see it did think I was a cop to start with - and yes, they aren't impressed to find they've just slowed for a rider!

Apart from that time, it's been in my drawer and only got pulled out for my partner to use when leading his club's sessions at Manfeild open days. I tend to notice them on the road and think "dork" so I don't think I'll be wearing mine again! As someone said the other day, if people don't notice cops on bikes with police plastered all over them and flashing lights and sirens, what difference will a coloured vest make to the rest of us?
    Yes, I am pedantic about spelling and grammar so get used to it!

Bike
    Yamaha Virago VX1100
    Never worn one and never will: end of discussion for me
    Repect the truth - The Matrix is life, not a movie .......

Bike
    2005 Gas Gas EC250
    I remeber when I first started racing I was forced to wear a bright orange vest and somebody still managed to give me a small tap on the back wheel. I no longer belive in those things.
    Wellyman

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago

Cool

Ok I want a cop reflective vest, you know the lime green one with the "H" on the back to wear over my jacket. Cos they really stand out at night time.

But according to so many, we cant get them no more.

The lime greeen stands out more than the orange vest does IMHO.

I have thin stripes on my jacket which is great until I put my backpack on and then no one can see them.

Someone I know has reflective tape on the back of her helmet and I was following her one night and it really stood out.

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    I dont wear one all the time BUT we decided to get a batch printed up for the WIMA gals and they sure do stand out. We have an issue with the illuminated strips fading and falling off but it seems to be a printing flaw.

Last charity run was for the Breast Cancer cause and they rocked. You can get these vests very reasonably at your local PlaceMakers store. I cant see it being a KB uniform of choice but they have their place.

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    I see a lot of road workers are getting padded wet weather vests that look very suitable for bike use.Protector Safty would probably be the place to look.I have a couple of yellow ones that I wear at work that would also be good on a bike.They do up with press domes.

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    I see a lot of road workers are getting padded wet weather vests that look very suitable for bike use.Protector Safty would probably be the place to look.I have a couple of yellow ones that I wear at work that would also be good on a bike.They do up with press domes.
    Industrial clothing place in Cavendish Drive Wiri. Can't remember the name, but it's on the right down the far end from the motorway. Every sort of protective/reflective/industrial stuff you could imagine. Racks and racks of the stuff. About opposite Repco, that's how I noticed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    06 10 WITH ALL THE FANCY BITS
    Padded ones are made by Canterbury NZ. Down in CHCH.

They are police regulation ones like mine, I have an XXL thin fabric (no padding) one so it goes over my bag. Thin ones dry out VERY quickly.

Apparently Canterbury has the contract or something for the coppas.

Bike
    06 Transalp
    Blog Entries
    This looks something like what I would want...

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=2360
    Motorbike only search
    YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - CRC AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE CRC. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE

Bike
    *sob* Nothing doing...
    That sounds like an amazingly good resource PlacidFemme, I get bored at work too...hence loitering here!

And who was it who wanted stuff on their arms? What about some of those 'oh-so-sexy' trouser-puller-inners that people who use pushbikes sometimes wear to keep their trousers out of the chain/gears? They're velcro-affairs and they're highly reflective.

This morning on the way to work I saw a pushbiker with THREE of those flashing red LED's on their back - VERY VERY visible (to the point of annoyance). Are they legal for mbikers? (haven't yet read roadcode!)
    Last edited by Eurygnomes; 27th June 2005 at 10:57. Reason: Premature posting!
    It is easier to accept the message of the stars than the message of the salt desert. The stars speak of man's insignificance in the long eternity of time; the desert speaks of his insignificance right now. - Edwin Way Teale 1956

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    I have seen quite a few touring bikes with the riders/pillions wearing flouro vest down this way.

What I HAVE noticed is that a lot of the time the vests are obscured by large fairings/screens at the front and by large top-boxes/packs etc at the rear.

Also noticed the odd sports-bike type rider with them - trouble is the riding position of those types of bikes mean the rider is a whole lot less than vertical ergo the visibility is compromised quite a bit.

Can't do any harm to wear one, especially on the open road but don't put too much faith on other road users actually seeing it.

Lights on combined with running lights is a good way to go, you can't forget/leave THEM at home!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Thread Information