Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husqvarna adventure bike!

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Triumph all but ballasted up the Rocket III to 320kg, as their target market (cruiser-lovin' yanks) considered anything less to be a 'lightweight'.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    . .
    Advertised dry weights on bikes are always a little optimistic. My 525 in adv trim with half a tank of fuel (6 odd Litres) was 124kg, Cary's XR650 was around 130 odd with a similar fuel load.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    Good question, but in a word: no.

Settled, to me, comes from having suspension that works. I'd rather have a light bike with suspension that yields appropriately, than a heavy bike in an attempt to overcome lousy suspension. But there could be some historical influence in that: I started riding on a 116kg bike with a 16" front wheel. 'Pub talk' says that ppl who start on 16-inchers like a quick-steering bike whereas those who didn't think 16s are evil handling twitchy uncontrollable death traps. But to be fair, flighty/twitchy is more about steering geometry than weight. I've done lots of touring on 115-120kg 200-250cc bikes and I've never wished I was on something heavier. More powerful, at times yes; heavier, never.

Light bikes are simply more fun to chuck through corners, and I don't live to ride the straight bits. I can ride a light weight bike that requires input all day, but a heavy bike just knackers me - so in the end I guess I'd be thankful it's more stable?

I've never noticed luggage upsetting, unsettling or unbalancing a light bike. However at the other end of the scale it has pushed a barely manageable heavy bike into whoa! momma! territory.
    load up the DT230 with luggage and the tail wagged the dog, load up the KLR with luggage and it says 'luggage? - wot frickin luggage?"

suspension isnt the only major factor. How much the bike moves around in response to wind and airflow from passing vehicles is significantly influenced by weight. The more open a corner the more fun a bigger bike is. I tended to wobble a bit around faster open corners on the DT whereas the KLR is like its on rails.

Personally I think the 640A is the perfect size/weight/suspension/power compromise for an adventure bike (defined as "I look forward to riding it 500km of back roads and then riding big river or porika etc etc") - pity the engine such a paint mixer and doesn't lug well.

to each their own

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    The more open a corner the more fun a bigger bike is.
    Yep. Which one is more fun over the Whangamoas or Takaka Hill?

The worst bike I've had for reacting badly to the wind/airflow was also the heaviest. It was also the hardest to correct in a knock or lull.

It would be interesting to look at the geometry of the DT vs KLR - I bet the DT is set up sharper which would explain the difference in stability. You're right, it's not just weight, tyres also have an influence there. Years ago I had a set of Bridgestone Battlax BT54s on the Triumph Trophy, they were quick in tight slow corners but a nightmare in fast sweepers. Next set were Michelin Macadam 90Xs, and they were slightly slower in the slow stuff, but superbly stable in the fast sweepers - still sweet at 50% faster than I was game with the BT54s!!

The 640 ain't for everyone, that's for sure. It's a heckuva lot more luggable uncorked which makes it much nicer in the steep technical snot, but I really don't worry about what happens < 2500rpm when there's another 6000rpm above that to play with.

A DT230 is on my shortlist of bikes I want.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Its weird cos my klr is sooo much nicer on the road with luggage on the back and a full tank. Off road its a pig.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    04 KTM 640, 05 FE450
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    pity the engine such a paint mixer and doesn't lug well.
    A paint mixer it surely is, but put an FCR on it, and it will lug just fine. Mine pulls from well below idle. Gets me out of all sorts of crap off road.

I love a forgiving bike

Crashes way better than anything I have ever owned too. Should I shut up now.....

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
    A paint mixer it surely is, but put an FCR on it, and it will lug just fine. Mine pulls from well below idle. Gets me out of all sorts of crap off road.
    After riding Nordies' FCR equipped DR it's amazing how much difference the carb makes.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Thread Information