Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna adventure bike!

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Husqvarna adventure bike!

I see this new bike has been mentioned on the net. Here is one link (no pictures unfort)

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/20...For+Leather%29

Where I saw the info during the week (and can't find the link to that now) the BMW guy said that the bike will be more dirt orientated than the BMW 800 GS - edit here is the page that said it http://www.autoevolution.com/news/hu...011-31810.html

Something to hopefully look forward to.

M

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    It is a shame....Husqvarna have more than capeable bikes on the market but unfortunately have not aided the owners with after market things, most importantly, a larger tank! After market -yes, but still cannot do a decent touring range...The Te610 is awesome, the new model is nice too....great skills in manufacturing apart from the non adjustable front forks on the Te which has been bitched about by half the USA and Canada....
    The Te610 has everything the KTM690 has, and if I had the opportunity, the Husky would win.....Parts for one, not the choice but the mere timeframe of availability...
    Case in point, a $2.00 Water Pump washer is only available ex Austria....Ow, time is the issue. Not price.
    Husky....48-96 hours.....In fact, the last KTM part I required, rather expensive was a Husky procurred item.
    That in itself gives these guys a from me......
    Although Boyd's ARE awesome... No issues there Greg!
    I do hope they produce a great bike......I seem to recall they were great for sewing machines when I was 13 and looking at a motocross event......Kneive boy I was.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    One major problem I see, is will they even bring them to NZ?

I wanted a TE610, but husky nz did not bring any into the country, and apparently was not even an option for them to import one even tho I wanted to purchase.
    I imagine the case is probably the same at the moment for the 630 or maybe we would have seen someone riding one?

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post

I wanted a TE610, but husky nz did not bring any into the country, and apparently was not even an option for them to import one even tho I wanted to purchase.
    I imagine the case is probably the same at the moment for the 630 or maybe we would have seen someone riding one?
    It is the same for the TE630, they have only brought in the SMR & are struggling to sell them... they are $3000.00 dearer than the Honda hornet.

When pushed for a TE630 one dealer told me that I could buy the SMR & put some dirt wheels on it (at extra cost) as that was the nearest I could get to the TE in NZ..... Husky have missed the mark here.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by c.h.r.i.s View Post

Motorad has/had the current 630 (or whatever the 610 replacement is called) road legal or dual purpose bike in stock a few weeks ago. I sat on it. About $14,000.

Michael
    Sh*t doesn't just "happen". There is always an a*sehole involved.

Bike
    690 Advenduro
    Quote Originally Posted by Pampera View Post
    Motorad has/had the current 630 (or whatever the 610 replacement is called) road legal or dual purpose bike in stock a few weeks ago. I sat on it. About $14,000.

Michael
    That is good news, sounds like husky might have realised they are a pretty good bike for nz.

Bike
    05 Husqvarna TE510, 05 950 ADV S
    [QUOTE=NZKTM;1129998112][I][COLOR=darkorange]It is a shame....Husqvarna have more than capeable bikes on the market but unfortunately have not aided the owners with after market things, most importantly, a larger tank! After market -yes, but still cannot do a decent touring range...

I have a 2005 TE510 that I rode in the DB1K this year and with my $300 Aussie $ 15 ltr IMS tank from just tanks in the US I was getting 300km's a tank over some pretty rough ground.....I have owned many KTM's and currently have one in the garage, but can't fault the Husky as a cheaper option to a KTM for more extream adv riding.

Many parts are interchangeable with KTM/Husaberg for example so with a bit of lateral thinking parts are not too big a problem.

However not sure you can put the 630 and 690 in the same sentance if comparing bikes IMO. I have seen the 630 in Aussie on the shop floors and not so sure it is in the same league as the KTM....but at about 4k cheaper (in Aussie $) you would be silly to discount it if looking for a new bike. IMO the 690 is more capable offroad than the big Husky.

Just my 2 cents worth.......
    Orange Thumper

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    There's been comments on advrider from those intimately familiar with LC4s that the TE610 is a bit better bike than the 640 Enduro, for both technical work and on-road. Enough to make me take notice, put it that way. If the TE630 is an improved 610 at $4K less, I'd struggle to buy a 690 - given neither is a focused adventure bike but rather a durable trailie.

[Edit: blardy crappy web data. One site lists the TE630 as 150kg dry !!! another at 115kg... more like it.]
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    [Edit: blardy crappy web data. One site lists the TE630 as 150kg dry !!! another at 115kg... more like it.]
    115!

My 350 is rated at 114kg dry.

I would have thought around 140 dry.

EDIT: Most seem to rate it from 145-150kg dry.
    Down to 140 with an aftermarket exhaust then.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    EDIT: Most seem to rate it from 145-150kg dry.
    That's getting up there. The TE610 was <140kg dry. My 640A is about 150kg ish dry, and it's got all the heavy fairing support, glass headlights, fcken heavy 26L tank, rack, bash plate, centrestand, twin road-sized front discs etc etc as standard.

All the 4T EXCs are around 115kg half-dry, was thinking more in that line for the 610 but I s'pose the other TEs will be close to that.
    Cheers,
    Colin

All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    Quote Originally Posted by warewolf View Post
    That's getting up there. The TE610 was <140kg dry. My 640A is about 150kg ish dry, and it's got all the heavy fairing support, glass headlights, fcken heavy 26L tank, rack, bash plate, centrestand, twin road-sized front discs etc etc as standard.

All the 4T EXCs are around 115kg half-dry, was thinking more in that line for the 610 but I s'pose the other TEs will be close to that.
    bloody ktm showoff - some of us bigger boned bike owners would consider 140 kg as verging on anorexic

seriously though ...
    don't you think you need a certain amount of weight (say 140-150 kg) to give the bike a 'settled nature' on the road and to carry luggage without becoming unbalanced?

Bike
    04 KTM 640, 05 FE450
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    don't you think you need a certain amount of weight (say 140-150 kg) to give the bike a 'settled nature' on the road and to carry luggage without becoming unbalanced?
    I find this to be true. My LC4E weighs in at just over 140 (after quite a bit of lightening, but I would not want it to be much lighter on the road, as it does feel a bit "flighty" after a long day on the road. Luggage does hold it down well for that.

This does not stop me from often wanting it to be lighter off road. Maybe I should not be at the very extremes of these, but isn't everything about compromise on a 650 class dual sport?

Cant have everything all the time.

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    seriously though ...
    Good question, but in a word: no.

Settled, to me, comes from having suspension that works. I'd rather have a light bike with suspension that yields appropriately, than a heavy bike in an attempt to overcome lousy suspension. But there could be some historical influence in that: I started riding on a 116kg bike with a 16" front wheel. 'Pub talk' says that ppl who start on 16-inchers like a quick-steering bike whereas those who didn't think 16s are evil handling twitchy uncontrollable death traps. But to be fair, flighty/twitchy is more about steering geometry than weight. I've done lots of touring on 115-120kg 200-250cc bikes and I've never wished I was on something heavier. More powerful, at times yes; heavier, never.

Light bikes are simply more fun to chuck through corners, and I don't live to ride the straight bits. I can ride a light weight bike that requires input all day, but a heavy bike just knackers me - so in the end I guess I'd be thankful it's more stable?

I've never noticed luggage upsetting, unsettling or unbalancing a light bike. However at the other end of the scale it has pushed a barely manageable heavy bike into whoa! momma! territory.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Bike
    04 KTM 640, 05 FE450
    Don't know what it is (Suspension, power, weight, getting knocked around by wind, or anything else for that matter), but my impression is that the lighter bikes just need more "input" (???). It may just be more mental energy???

Many years ago I did pretty long distances on a pretty wide variety of bikes. Two that come to mind are a TS185 vs an XR500A, and my memory of the ends of 500k + days was that the XR was much less work / more fun than the TS.

I also find now that my 640, at higher speeds on tar, is just starting to feel "light" in the front without much luggage. Seems to sit down a bit better with the luggage.

As an aside, with the alloy panniers, the whole setup really does not like "dirty air" following trucks or even vans, and the steering is a lot more stable in clean air.

Looking again at all the above, I think there are possibly a variety of causes there, but my overall impression remains that weight can be a plus for stability on the boring bits on the tar.

But I am still not going to buy a KLR Mark

The Husky looks like a much better proposition to me. I am not that fussy and would live with either the 610 or the 630.... Lucky the difference is only money, and money doesn't matter. It is what I want that is important......

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    bloody ktm showoff - some of us bigger boned bike owners would consider 140 kg as verging on anorexic

seriously though ...
    For some of us, like ex BMW riders 140kg is positively skeletal.

I've always agreed with the weight sentiment, within reason. I rode a 350kg Suzuki cruiser once and that was right out the opposite end of the scale.

Now that I have a tiny bike I'm waiting to see if my perception on the weight changes, I haven't ridden it in anything less than perfect weather yet to test the theory out.
    www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Thread Information