Thread: Where to start?

Bike
    2010 Honda Predator

Where to start?

Having ridden road bikes for a few years I'd like to get into trail/adventure riding but have no idea where to start. Don't fancy doing MX or competition, I really like the idea of doing trail riding and some of those organised trail/adventure rides.

I've only ridden a dirt bike around a MX track once whilst in the UK so I have no idea where or how to get started and would really appreciate your advice and input.

In terms of bikes, what should I be looking at, guess I need something road legal if I'm going to do adventure rides? Like the look of the KTM enduro bikes and the WR250R looks like a good bet but that might push the budget a bit far. From what I've read the DRZ400 looks like a solid and affordable bet, can you use the DRZ400SM off road by simply changing the wheels or do I need to look at dedicated off road version? Don't want to get something that will be to much for me but don't want to get bored in 5 mins either.

The wife has said that she might be interested in having a go too so potentially I might have to start saving for two bikes rather than one!

Cheers in advance guys.

Bike
    Orange ones! (and a few others...)
    Possibly go to the Sandpit at Woodhill, http://www.thesandpit.co.nz/ hire a bike for a day and try out trail riding, alternatively contact Stu at Over the top adventures http://www.overthetopadventures.co.nz/ this will give you an interesting intro to trail riding.

Bikes, where do you start, althought I agree that small is better and with that in mind the WR would be a good starter, the DRZ is a lot heavier so will be harder work. Whatever you get is only your first bike so treat it as a learning tool to be beaten to bits then replaced.

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    Welcome to the Dark Side Like you I came from a road riding back ground and did it all wrong (but its worked out ok).
    I didn't really look at what type of riding I would be doing before I brought my scooter. There are as many different types of Adventure riding as there is riders. For some a rough set of road works is enough to fit Knobblies, others seem to like to challenge (for lack of a better word) themselves more. Small bikes are lighter and more nimble, big bikes are harder to get out of ditches But when it comes to loading them up with shit loads of gear and heading into the wilderness compare the suspension mods etc carried out to small bikes as opposed to the other fellas
    Riding two up? Seat comfort? Fuel range? Farkleability (most important)
    If your wife wants a bike why not buy one of each and use the system my Mum and Dad used "a pedestrian is the slowest person to the carport"

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Hey Badgerclarke (what a weirdfkingname)
    From the low number of responses you've had you can take it that what you've asked is a difficult question to answer.
    All I can give you is my experience from it what I think.
    I bought my advbike after having a GB400TT for a few years as a sunday ride. I bought a 2008 KLR650 new. I have had that for a couple of years & enjoyed it's flexibility on the road, on gravel & thru knarly bits. Despite the crap you hear about them they are a fantastic bike.
    Now however I am selling it because I have bought an old airhead GS as a project to do up & play with.
    There is fair amount of cross over with the KLR & GS in regards to similar road cruising & 2 up attributes.
    I am now buying a DRZ400 to play with off road as the KLR is too heavy for me to lift now.I will also be using my DRZ for adv rides around here as they all to often turn into " I will if you will" espeditions into dead end gorse tracks.

So. If I had to have one bike I'd stick with the KLR (or a DR), however as I want to do a few more laidbacktrail rides I'll have both.
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Badger, adventure riders are like the Borg, you will be assimilated!

Trawl a few threads. There's probably two threads like this on every page.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    2010 Honda Predator
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Bike
    . .
    A DRZ/KLX400 would be an excellent place to start considering the riding you mentioned in your opening post. The DRZSM has a different front end so bolting on a DRZ 21" wheel isn't a straight swap from what I've read. Plus it has the soft engine. You really need the legal DRZ400E with the FCR carb. Forget the SM or the S models.

Thread Information