Thread: Two questions

Bike
    2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Two questions

Helmets
    I ride with a full face Shoei Hornet. Last weekend I was following Leanne (she is learning to ride her DR200) and put my old MX helmet on to do it. It felt good. I wondered what it would be like riding a long way with that sort of helmet and goggles on vs a full face helmet. What are the advantages and disadvantages other than the obvious (colder in winter and more bugs inside your helmet)?

Front mud guards

Would there be any disadvantages if I put a high front guard on the 990 for everyday type riding eg on a wet day would the low guard keep me drier? At speed would the high guard make the bike a bit more unstable?

I often wear an MX helmet on hot days,you can really feel the cooling effect,especially over the top of a sweating bald pate.There is much better visability,but you lose that with MX goggles,and they are sweaty too....so I use some good sunglasses that seal around the eyes.Not much good over 120kph,but I don't do that often.

I used to run high and low guards on the XLV750 - the low guard keeps the engine cleaner.In mud the high guard is better of course.I've gone to a high half guard on my airhead - the engine gets filthy.The short rear guard is what gets me wet and dirty.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    DR650 again
    Don't forget to remove the sun visor

Bike
    the only disadvantage i have found with an MX lid is it will shake around a bit more when you are up past 100 clicks or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Don't argue with the pigs, man. They'll tap your phones and steal your weed and make your old lady do things she won't do for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Sexually transmitted diseases are one thing, sexually affected carnage is something else entirely. Ladies, if his cock's that small that he's prepared to put you at risk for a root, look elsewhere. Seriously.

Bike
    2014 R1200 GS, 2007 DR 650
    I bought an Arai Adv helmet for the big Oz trip - bit like MX with a visor. The peak had to come off on day 3 and for any highway stages thereafter. The extra drag for over 800km on day 2 gave my neck hell.
    I had to do something or the trip would have ended right there.
    I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I always was.

Bike
    . .
    Also rain stings your face.

Bike
    RD350 KTM790R, 2 x BMW R80G/S, XT500
    I had two fenders on my 950 for a while.
    The high fender keeps the crap off the engine and from around the steering head area.

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400 SMK5 with knobblies
    Do try both guards at once and be a trend-setter.
    MX helmets are hard work over 90kmh.

Thread Information