Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flywheel weights, two-stroke, etc?

Bike
    Suzuki DR650, Beta Xtrainer with CLAKE

Flywheel weights, two-stroke, etc?

Hi All

Fly wheel weights have probably been mentioned before but I thought I would ask anyway, I have a DT230 which I love but it could do with a bit more low down torque, I have altered the power valve with surprisingly good results, this has lowered the top of the exhaust port.

Anyway I am looking at adding weight to the fly wheel and possibly to the back of the clutch basket, has anyone done this and if so what results?

Also for the two stroke techno people any other suggestions regarding electrical timing, carburation, reed valves and spacers would be appreciated.

One last thing, between the carb and reed valve there is a expansion chamber thingy on the top of the rubber boot, WTF is it and WTF does it do.
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

My bikes Suzuki DR650 2010, Beta Xtrainer 300 2016, Beta RR498 2014

I thought the DT230 had plenty of low down punch,in fact a very experienced rider said he thought it had too much.The traction control was supposed to take the sting out of the bottom end and make it a bit more controllable.Adding weights would make it less liable to spin up down low...sounds like you want less low down torque? The chamber between carb and reed valve used to be called a boost bottle...I'm sure Yamaha has a more fancy name,but they were added for more low down response.The DT230 was a development of the DT200,to get a bike with more low down torque,
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Trouble I have is I am used to my Sherco trials bike where the engine just keeps rolling which makes life easy for plodding, if I could get a a bit more rolling in the DT engine would be nice, for tight creeks, rocks, logs etc, general torque from mid range up is fine, just the very low end is what I want to help stop stalling.
    Cheers Paul
    Check out our new website www.motomox.co.nz my very own sand pit with lots of cool toys

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    I wonder if your DT is running right.

mine was (I sold it to my son) unstallable and had a great 'no spin but just keeps tractoring' bottom end which got me out of the pooh on numerous occasions

the perfect trail bike engine - in my humble opinion)

I found mine would bog out at low speed having to pull hard (soft sand as a good example) and needed a pop of the clutch with a bit of revs to get some wheelspin and control.More rider error there than bike error...think ahead and be more aggressive.That's the only time it's small capacity ever showed,otherwise it always punched above it's weight.
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    Thanks for that, do you know what the YPVS chamber is between the carb and reed valves is and what it does?
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    The technical name for the boost bottle was :" energy induction" . My old IT175j used to have one, pretty sure thats what it first came out on. Anyway its supposed to make throttle response better after overrun. I ran mine without it and couldn't tell the difference, and anyway who cares about throttle response on a 175cc 2 smoke.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike

Blah

Shit the last time I saw your KLR650 I thought it was a 2 stroke , even after you tried to hide it in a deeeeeep puddle
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    SWM RS 650R
    Quote Originally Posted by Trials Rider View Post
    Shit the last time I saw your KLR650 I thought it was a 2 stroke , even after you tried to hide it in a deeeeeep puddle
    Well it certainly smokes like one now.
    I mentioned vegetables once, but I think I got away with it...........

Bike
    2010 R1200GS 2012

Fly wheel weights

I have put 13 oz on my YZ250 fly wheel its much better to trail and enduro ride and prevents it from stalling on tight turns and not so vicous. Ihave seen them at Ballards but any engineer could make you one and a long nut.
    Life shouldnt end at the grave well presented but rather, slide in sideways totally worn out yelling "shit that was a great ride!"

Bike
    Thanks for that, is 13 oz or 370 grams an average of weights used? did you have options of weights?
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    One of the guys on ThumperTalk removed 629g off a DR650 flywheel.
    Took a lot of work but was only just noticeable in use.

The '79-82 XR250 and 500 both had the same flywheel.
    We lightened the XR250's flywheel and made it pick up through the revs more quickly but didn't lose any tractability or even tractorbility...

The good thing with flywheel weights is they are a completely reversible mod.

Bike
    Yes I must admit my DR650 is a gentle giant, very nice and forgiving to ride.

Also looking to put a split power valve split stream device that goes in between the carb and reed valves, would be interested if any has used one.
    Cheers Paul

Bike
    2010 R1200GS 2012

Fly wheel weights

13 oz was quite extreme but the bike puts a load of HP
    Life shouldnt end at the grave well presented but rather, slide in sideways totally worn out yelling "shit that was a great ride!"

Bike
    Cool thanks for that, its all good info, starting to get a picture of what I need to do.
    Cheers Paul

Thread Information