Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of the cheesecutter story

Bike
    Modified 2014 Bonnie
    Quote Originally Posted by reofix View Post
    At long last ... i see this issue has died the natural death it deserved.. So much heat was generated on this issue ... so little light ... our safety is 99% down to us... just like walking in the world really
    So why raise it again? just fancied a troll?

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Obviously a tragic accident, but one that could have been avoided had the campervan driver been paying more attention.

So other road users are allowed to be inattentive, and have a safety barrier stop them. But if bikers are inattentive, they are likely to lose limbs from contact with the same safety barrier?

Also, without the accident details, we can't be sure whether WRBs would have saved them, in some cases (bigger vehicles especially) they hook the front wheel causing a loss of control, and if the road is not wide enough, the deflection of the WRB could be such that the campervan goes into the oncoming lane anyway.

There are reasons why EU countries only allow WRB with bike friendly coverings, and why others ban them completely.
    +1 Every little help we have safety wise has to be good for us, no?

"There are reasons why EU countries only allow WRB with bike friendly coverings, and why others ban them completely."

The EU wont let you hold your own cock to piss.... in case of infection ... grow up
    "it's my cue to leave."

These are adult issues so thats appropriate
    Successful trolling then? And everyone is entitled to their own view...
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell."
    C.S. Lewis

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    Obviously a tragic accident, but one that could have been avoided had the campervan driver been paying more attention.

So other road users are allowed to be inattentive, and have a safety barrier stop them. But if bikers are inattentive, they are likely to lose limbs from contact with the same safety barrier?
    Your first point? virtually ALL head-ons could fit that catagory but people don't pay attention, hence why centre-dividers of some sort are a Good Idea (tm).

The second point? Having a deadly 'cheese-cutter' nearby would, I think, be a good incentive to be attentive - oh and why the fuck SHOULD we have to pander to innatentive bikers??

Of course we all know you're just trolling? right? right?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    Bugger and I had always believed being inattentive on a bike meant death
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    a red heap
    its the ones that they put on the lefthand side that make no sense to me.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    its the ones that they put on the lefthand side that make no sense to me.
    They're not WRB's. They're Taniwha fences.

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    I said this back when it first happened and got flamed to death.

I stated that wire rope barriers are no more deadly than a fence post, a tree or an oncomming vehicle and that we cant go bubble wrapping everything that might kill a motorcyclist if they make a mistake, yes they make the road slightly more dangerous for some road users but we are a minority and one that cannot be justified with the added cost of using concrete barriers, which was a big thing at the time, people actually prefered hitting a concrete barrier to a wire rope barrier.....that seemed kind of fucked up to me considering I'd rather not hit either.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    Speed Triple
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave- View Post

I stated that wire rope barriers are no more deadly than a fence post, a tree or an oncomming vehicle and that we cant go bubble wrapping everything that might kill a motorcyclist if they make a mistake, yes they make the road slightly more dangerous for some road users but we are a minority and one that cannot be justified with the added cost of using concrete barriers, which was a big thing at the time, people actually prefered hitting a concrete barrier to a wire rope barrier.....that seemed kind of fucked up to me considering I'd rather not hit either.
    Pretty basic safety process, Consider the worst case scenario, then take steps to minimise the danger.

Putting the most lethal barrier in place is the opposite of the entire H&S mantra that has been installed into this country.

So the government is ignoring such basic protocol and would rather increase our risk while hiking up expenses to cover our risk and some of those that are directly affected are defending there actions.

Well done, A gold star intelligent thought process.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    That’d be because you don’t know what you’re talking about. Benefit of the doubt, here, 'cause I'm assuming you're not stupid enough to be a WRB troll.

I stated that wire rope barriers are no more deadly than a fence post, a tree or an oncomming vehicle and that we cant go bubble wrapping everything that might kill a motorcyclist if they make a mistake
    Right. So let’s just use a road safety budget to add deadly artefacts to our roads, yes? And for added bonus points let's put 'em all really really close to the traffic, like the manufacturere's say. Not.

…with the added cost of using concrete barriers, which was a big thing at the time, people actually prefered hitting a concrete barrier to a wire rope barrier...
    Concrete barriers are, in fact cheaper. And yes, in fact you’re more likely to survive hitting them.

All clear now?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400 SMK5 with knobblies
    I like "cheese-cutters".
    They help stop on-coming traffic crossing into my lane.
    I feel comfortable riding with them present.

If you are scared of cheese-cutters, adjust your riding to suit your perception of their danger.

Bike
    2009, Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    I see in Papakura around some bad corners (nice on the bike, bad for inattentive cages) they've put big black containers filled with dirt/bark around trees and powerpoles. Some good thinking, in a corner some drivers will just lose control cause they're noobs. On a straight line having a wire next to me feels about as dangerous as having a fence next to me, which is almost all the time riding through the country so... whatever...

Maybe they should get rid of fences on dairy farms too, give all the cows electric shock collars with a buried boundary fence that will stop them crossing when it gives em shocks. Then in case I come off the left side of the road it'll just be paddock paddock paddock COW.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    give all the cage drivers electric shock collars with a buried boundary fence that will stop them crossing when it gives em shocks.
    Brilliant!!!

Call the patent office immediately!!
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Headbanger and Ocean1, none of what you've said makes any difference to the fact that if you don't hit them, they won't kill you.
    Can I scream?

Bike
    2009 Sukuki Bandit 1250SA
    Blog Entries
    Headbanger and Ocean1, none of what you've said makes any difference to the fact that if you don't hit them, they won't kill you.
    wow words of wisdom
    I think most of us are aware of that
    --------------------------------------
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway

Bike
    Speed Triple
    well then ,lets lay down some land mines.

Never fear, its your right to be indifferent to the bigger picture, And thats the exact reason governments can ignore the reality of their decisions. No need to listen to the little guy when the little guy lives in a bubble.

Screw making the word a better place, I'm alright.

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Headbanger View Post
    well then ,lets lay down some land mines.

Never fear, its your right to be indifferent to the bigger picture, And thats the exact reason governments can ignore the reality of their decisions. No need to listen to the little guy when the little guy lives in a bubble.

Screw making the word a better place, I'm alright.
    OH FUCK NO, NOT A MINORITY! AND THE EVIL GOVERNMENT!

You might be right headbanger, maybe the government is out to kill us one wire rope barrier at a time in an effort to save money (is it?)...and yeah, it is your right to be indifferent to the bigger picture (which is in 1080p for the rest of us) and that is that the government doesn't give a rats ass. Now go find another country, one without wire rope barriers, if it makes you feel better, that way when you crash you can hit an on coming truck, or a solid concrete wall instead...
    Can I scream?

Thread Information