Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The death of the cheesecutter story

Bike
    Suzuki DRZ400 SMK5 with knobblies
    Crusaders.

Give up on the WRB "campaign."
    Accept your failure to effect any change.

Golly, you could all start a NEW campaign !. . .

How about getting rid of the biggest killer of bikers . . . . CORNERS !!!

OR . . maybe get rid of White Lines !!! . . that's a good one.

Please tell us in less than 3000 words, what your ideas are, for a NZ motorcycling panacea.

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Like nothing at all?
    I'd rather there was an W.R.B between me and oncoming traffic than nothing.

And I couldn't really care less where they get put.

With one exception. On the Wellington motorway, a concrete barrier was removed and replaced with an W.R.B. But I reckon it's less of an intentional thing, and more of a cock up in a quote or some such total rarity in NZ bureaucracy.

Bike
    TF125
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    On the Wellington motorway, a concrete barrier was removed and replaced with an W.R.B. But I reckon it's less of an intentional thing, and more of a cock up in a quote or some such total rarity in NZ bureaucracy.
    I think I remember when that happened and recall thinking at the time that it was likely done for emergency access, or for allowing the crossing of lanes when things like the Horokiwi waterfall has a one in 2,000 year flood or the side of the hill slips off. Both regular occurences, lol.

I was a back seat passenger in a car once many moons ago and the driver nodded off just past Horokiwi, heading south. The concrete barrier did SFA damage to the car but woke the driver up brilliantly. Nobody got hurt and we simply continued driving, might have been a different story with a WRB with up to 6mtrs defelction?.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I was a back seat passenger in a car once many moons ago and the driver nodded off just past Horokiwi, heading south. The concrete barrier did SFA damage to the car but woke the driver up brilliantly. Nobody got hurt and we simply continued driving, might have been a different story with a WRB with up to 6mtrs defelction?.
    They don't 'HAVE' to deflect the 6 metres - it's just they can.

And the silly prick driving needs a kick in the nads for 'nodding off'....with no barrier where would he be?
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony W View Post

Please tell us in less than 3000 words, what your ideas are, for a NZ motorcycling panacea.
    Don't need 3000 words....

Motorcyclists need to stop thinking the road is a race track, and stop treating every ride like it was a race. And as for dirty overtaking tactics...they need to stop that too.

Fucken wanker.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    I think I remember when that happened and recall thinking at the time that it was likely done for emergency access, or for allowing the crossing of lanes when things like the Horokiwi waterfall has a one in 2,000 year flood or the side of the hill slips off. Both regular occurences, lol.
    there's a Tui ad in there. The WRB have turnbuckles etc to allow this to happen but it never does. I suspect "emergency" is the wrong term. They might use it when the land slides and they need long term construction access. On the Puk Bay foreshore their "answer" is to install barrier arms to stop the traffic, guess this give emergency vehicles access to the right hand side of the road. Wouldn't it be better cheaper and more convenient all round to drop the wires? If not remove the WRB and replace with something safer.

Bike
    One of the 'selling features' of WRB along the Paekak shore was it can be dropped etc.
    Yea right.
    I recall a crash there that kept the road closed ALL DAY because the wires were not dropped.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    One of the 'selling features' of WRB along the Paekak shore was it can be dropped etc.
    Yea right.
    I recall a crash there that kept the road closed ALL DAY because the wires were not dropped.
    Yes. One of the special kits required to do the job was in Wgtn central and nobody had any idea where the other one was. The chances of getting the right tools to a crash site before they're no longer needed is always going to be approximately zero. Pity, I'd really enjoy watching them attempting the job.

The things are a joke, continuing attempts at justifying them are transparent bullshit. They're so far from any best practice that there's just about got to be some alterior motive. Wonder if it involves a backhander or just rank incompetence.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Yes. One of the special kits required to do the job was in Wgtn central and nobody had any idea where the other one was. The chances of getting the right tools to a crash site before they're no longer needed is always going to be approximately zero. Pity, I'd really enjoy watching them attempting the job.

The things are a joke, continuing attempts at justifying them are transparent bullshit. They're so far from any best practice that there's just about got to be some alterior motive. Wonder if it involves a backhander or just rank incompetence.
    WTF, a crash/incident there and the volunteer fire service at Pae will be in attendence. Doesn't take much to work out to leave the Frigging kit with them or at the permanently manned Poruria Fire Station.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by oneofsix View Post
    WTF, a crash/incident there and the volunteer fire service at Pae will be in attendence. Doesn't take much to work out to leave the Frigging kit with them or at the permanently manned Poruria Fire Station.
    On foot? Keen man.

Bike
    Wonder if it involves a backhander or just rank incompetence.
    Two for two.

Bike
    Kate
    On foot? Keen man.
    Mr Plod, Ambos and fire get through. they have noisey thingees and pretty lights to assist them, its usually the cleanup crews what have issues and the fact that they can't redirect traffic around the site using the other half of the road.
    This is where the selling point for the WRB fails, they did say it was quick and easy to drop the wire whereas it would be too hard to remove the concrete block barrier and yet they never drop the wires.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Wouldn't it be better cheaper and more convenient all round to drop the wires? If not remove the WRB and replace with something safer.
    Like a solid concrete barrier you CAN'T drop??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Kate
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    Like a solid concrete barrier you CAN'T drop??
    If they aren't going to drop the wires then yes, go for the safer concrete block barrier. At least then when the hill side slips they can still forklift the blocks out.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Mr Plod, Ambos and fire get through.
    Not in any semblance of good time they don't, not on that stretch of road, they've very effectively cut off any alternative lanes or shoulders. If you fuck up along there you'll be waiting a very long time for the ambulance.

Thread Information