Thread: Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere - Short Review

Bike
    tedium

Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere - Short Review

Ok, went down to Wellywood on my trusty TDM900 and the lovely White Trash at TSS Red Baron offered me the choice of a test ride on pretty much any Yamaha I wanted.

"you want to try the R1?" said Trashie.
    "Nah, it's got to be the Super Ten" said I. About an hour and a half of thrashing ensued.

Handling.....jeez...it's a heavy beast. Anyone who takes this thing on anything other than light gravel needs their head looked at. I've taken a CBR600 and the Tedium on the 309 Road but there's no way in hell I'd brave this on its wet clay.

The old "weight not noticable once moving" mantra is bull$hit. Even with the wide bars, you really don't want to be changing direction quickly or trail braking. It wallows on bumpy corners. Ridden like it should be, it's fine but you'll not keep up with even moderately ridden sportsbikes.

Brakes..... they haul her up well. Not sure if the're as good as the Tedium. ABS is the shizzle. No sure how well it works off road. Wouldn't imagine they'd fade with luggage/pillion. Trackday might be different story but then again, it's not a sportsbike.

Headlights....look fantastic (stock Tedium lights are $hite). Didn't try it in the dark though :-)

Ergonomics. Light controls, comfortable when standing. Nice clocks. Good mirrors. Kedo handguards (same as beemer and had em on my last TDM). Flatter and higher bars than the TDM....think I'll change mine. Liked the fuel consumption thingie. Fabulous in town.

The big spongey seat looks comfortable but is amazingly stupidly designed. For some reason, they've shaped and angled it so that it pushes your forward onto the tank (she's a ball crusher). This in turn, puts the pegs behind you...so you end up in a semi race crouch. Every time I stopped I found myself pushing myself towards the back of the seat. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

The adjustable screen needs about another 4 or 5cm of height if you're 6ft 4. As it stands, when adjusted to the top it hits squarely in the face and makes a lot of wind noise. When I crouched down 5cm, the screen was great. I could open my visor at 100kmh and the wind noise was negligible. Again, for a tall, heavy adventure bike aimed at BMW riders...I can't fathom how Yamaha didn't find and correct this during testing.

Noted how beefy the rear subframe is and the brackets around the exhaust. It's obviously designed with a pillion and heavy luggage in mind. Top marks for that IMHO.

Engine. Flat torque curve...feels like a car. Injection less jerky than the tedium's early system (although fixed in later models and earlier models had nice carbs) so great around town (and I guess off road). Shaft drive un-noticable and it manages to be smooth in top gear from around 40kmh (whereas the TDM wants to take your teeth out and snap the chain). Really no sense of urgency with this engine and it's reluctant to rev. I thought maybe it needed running in but no, there was over 1000k's on the clock.

Drag race against Drew (on my TDM900) at the traffic lights....well I got the jump on him but yet the tedium drew past and buggered off into the distance. Must be the weight.

Top gear roll on from about 85kmh. Surely the 1200 cubes would beat the 900. Nope. It was almost close up to about 110* but once it got into its stride, the TDM piloted by Drew buggered off again. Even at higher speeds it was getting licked. The 1200 even pulls higher revs than the 900 at 90kmh so it didn't make much sense.

How could Yamaha design such a gutless motor? Hopefully to compensate it is massively reliable, has huge service intervals and is able to run frugally on low octane jungle juice.

Conclusion. Ideal bike for folks under 6ft who want to go touring, especially with a pillion but don't want the "old man" touring bike image. It's overpriced for what it is but then again, I'd still have it over the equivalent BMW. Maybe I'd have one in ten years but at the moment, I like my "dual purpose" bike to lean a bit more towards the sports side of things.

Again, thanks to TSS Red Baron in Lower Hut for letting me try the bike. Hopefully Yamaha will stick a 900 motor in the Super's 660cc wee brother and I'll buy one off them in a heartbeat.

*on a track obviously
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickha
    Fuck off, cheese has no place in pies
    Quote Originally Posted by Akzle
    i would could and can, put a fat fuck down with a bit of brass.

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    I also tried one.

I made the mistake of calling into MCR, mainly to have a look at the Strada gear Rick was advertising, and also to see if they stocked new visors for my helmet. The gear didn't interest me, and they didn't even have suitable gloves in my size. So disapointed I was about to leave the shop when, for some unknown reason, I decided to look at their tyre selection. Over the next 4 weeks I am going to need 2 rear and 1 front tyre, so just on the offchance that Rick may have tyres cheaper than my local supplier I had a look. No nothing suitable: Until the very helpful guy in the parts dept said he thought he had something out the back. Sure enough a new Conti Attack in the right size and and even with fitting, cheaper than I can get locally. So, no choice really, I said put my name on it and book me in for fitting next friday (the day before the TT2000). Then as I was walking around the shop, drinking their free coffee, I remembered that I had planned on replacing the chain and sprockets next service. Didn't it make sense to do it while the rear wheel was off for the tyre? So back up to the counter and ask them to throw on a chain and sprocket set at the same time.

Then I suddenly found my arm being twisted to take Rick's XT1200 for a test ride. I struggled against the idea. You've no idea hard hard I tried to say NO! But after fighting the idea for a full 1/1000th of a second, I agreed. A few minutes later and I was on my way on the delightful XT. The first thing I noticed was how little clutch movement was needed before it started to bite. I like a little more movement, but that is only a matter of 5 seconds to adjust. The next thing was how rideable at low speed it is compared to the VStrom. The Strom is almost unuasable below 20 km/h but the XT feels like it can be ridden along right at walking speed. It weighs 30 kg more, but feels like 30 kg less and is very happy zipping through the traffic. I headed up to highcliff and out to Lanarch's castle to see how it felt in the twisties. It was nice, but in this type of riding I believe the VStrom has a slight advantage. The XT was quick and nimble and its pure adventure heritage shows through, but it did feel a bit skittery on some of the corners. The traction control gave me confidence that it wasn't going to step out of line so it was a pleasure to ride right through those bends.

Standing up on the pegs (as one would for trail riding) reminded me of my first ride on a XT250 around 30 years ago. The position hasn't changed, but why change something that is already right. I immediately felt that I would be happy taking this bike places that I have second thoughts on the VStrom. (And those who know where I do go will realise that is saying something). In particular its low speed handling and response makes the XT a true adventure bike rather than an adventure tourer like the Strom.

Riding back to MCR I had the thought that "yes, this could be my next bike". Untill I found out the price. Too bad; at $8000 more than the VStrom there is no way I could justify it. Thanks Rick for the chance to try it out.

On the way home I rode via Mahinerangi and the thick loose gravel made me wish once again for that traction control.
    Time to ride

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Ok, went down to Wellywood on my trusty TDM900 and the lovely White Trash at TSS Red Baron offered me the choice of a test ride on pretty much any Yamaha I wanted.

"you want to try the R1?" said Trashie.
    "Nah, it's got to be the Super Ten" said I. About an hour and a half of thrashing ensued.

Handling.....jeez...it's a heavy beast. Anyone who takes this thing on anything other than light gravel needs their head looked at. I've taken a CBR600 and the Tedium on the 309 Road but there's no way in hell I'd brave this on its wet clay.

The old "weight not noticable once moving" mantra is bull$hit. Even with the wide bars, you really don't want to be changing direction quickly or trail braking. It wallows on bumpy corners. Ridden like it should be, it's fine but you'll not keep up with even moderately ridden sportsbikes.

Brakes..... they haul her up well. Not sure if the're as good as the Tedium. ABS is the shizzle. No sure how well it works off road. Wouldn't imagine they'd fade with luggage/pillion. Trackday might be different story but then again, it's not a sportsbike.

Headlights....look fantastic (stock Tedium lights are $hite). Didn't try it in the dark though :-)

Ergonomics. Light controls, comfortable when standing. Nice clocks. Good mirrors. Kedo handguards (same as beemer and had em on my last TDM). Flatter and higher bars than the TDM....think I'll change mine. Liked the fuel consumption thingie. Fabulous in town.

The big spongey seat looks comfortable but is amazingly stupidly designed. For some reason, they've shaped and angled it so that it pushes your forward onto the tank (she's a ball crusher). This in turn, puts the pegs behind you...so you end up in a semi race crouch. Every time I stopped I found myself pushing myself towards the back of the seat. STUPID STUPID STUPID.

The adjustable screen needs about another 4 or 5cm of height if you're 6ft 4. As it stands, when adjusted to the top it hits squarely in the face and makes a lot of wind noise. When I crouched down 5cm, the screen was great. I could open my visor at 100kmh and the wind noise was negligible. Again, for a tall, heavy adventure bike aimed at BMW riders...I can't fathom how Yamaha didn't find and correct this during testing.

Noted how beefy the rear subframe is and the brackets around the exhaust. It's obviously designed with a pillion and heavy luggage in mind. Top marks for that IMHO.

Engine. Flat torque curve...feels like a car. Injection less jerky than the tedium's early system (although fixed in later models and earlier models had nice carbs) so great around town (and I guess off road). Shaft drive un-noticable and it manages to be smooth in top gear from around 40kmh (whereas the TDM wants to take your teeth out and snap the chain). Really no sense of urgency with this engine and it's reluctant to rev. I thought maybe it needed running in but no, there was over 1000k's on the clock.

Drag race against Drew (on my TDM900) at the traffic lights....well I got the jump on him but yet the tedium drew past and buggered off into the distance. Must be the weight.

Top gear roll on from about 85kmh. Surely the 1200 cubes would beat the 900. Nope. It was almost close up to about 110* but once it got into its stride, the TDM piloted by Drew buggered off again. Even at higher speeds it was getting licked. The 1200 even pulls higher revs than the 900 at 90kmh so it didn't make much sense.

How could Yamaha design such a gutless motor? Hopefully to compensate it is massively reliable, has huge service intervals and is able to run frugally on low octane jungle juice.

Conclusion. Ideal bike for folks under 6ft who want to go touring, especially with a pillion but don't want the "old man" touring bike image. It's overpriced for what it is but then again, I'd still have it over the equivalent BMW. Maybe I'd have one in ten years but at the moment, I like my "dual purpose" bike to lean a bit more towards the sports side of things.

Again, thanks to TSS Red Baron in Lower Hut for letting me try the bike. Hopefully Yamaha will stick a 900 motor in the Super's 660cc wee brother and I'll buy one off them in a heartbeat.

*on a track obviously
    doesnt the engine have different ignition maps...sport and touring? maybe you on touring?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    the lovely White Trash at TSS Red Baron
    now we know you're lying...

Is the seat adjustable? The R1200 GSA seat has two heights, both do push you into the bars, but by having the front of the seat on high, back on low, it levels it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    doesnt the engine have different ignition maps...sport and touring? maybe you on touring?
    Dunno....I turned off traction control to see if it made a difference. Can't see why touring mode would affect a top gear rollon though

Seat adjustable...perhaps, I hope so. It would make sense.

TDM wet weight (20l fuel) = 223Kg
    DL1000 (22l fuel) = 238KG
    XTZ1200 wet weight (23l fuel) = 261Kg

If the Super Ten felt 30Kg lighter and isn't much better in corners, then the V Strom must be a poor handling top heavy pig of a bike. Honestly, the Super Ten felt like a bus compared to the tedium. I can confirm that it flows along in traffic fantastically at walking speed without any clutch slipping. The gearbox is good and the sheer size of the thing does impress ladies in convertibles and SUV's.

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    now we know you're lying...

Is the seat adjustable? The R1200 GSA seat has two heights, both do push you into the bars, but by having the front of the seat on high, back on low, it levels it out.
    Yup, three heights I think. Stevie had it on the lowest. Also in touring mode, it goes into thriftie mode which would indeed sacrifice top gear roll ons.

Being a bit shorter than Stevie I didn't have a probelm with the screen height and I think the lack of fliability he describes is actually due to the change from sports bike geometry on his TDM to more dual purpose wheel sizes and geometry. Personally I'd have no problem tackling farm tracks and rough gravel roads on the Super Ten'.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    2017 Suzuki Dl1000
    If the Super Ten felt 30Kg lighter and isn't much better in corners, then the V Strom must be a poor handling top heavy pig of a bike. Honestly, the Super Ten felt like a bus compared to the tedium. I can confirm that it flows along in traffic fantastically at walking speed without any clutch slipping. The gearbox is good and the sheer size of the thing does impress ladies in convertibles and SUV's.
    The Vstrom is very poor handling at speeds lower than 20 kmh, but at normal speeds it is very good handling. It is top heavy as would be expected with any adventure orientated bike, but so what? That just means that you ride it like an adventure bike, not like a sports bike.
    Time to ride

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Interesting comparison, thank you.

I'm in total agreement with putting the 900 motor into a 660 rolling chassis, that would be sminky. Wishful thinking probably, it seems adventure bikes are on the same curve as 4x4's.

Looks like I'm keeping my 8fiddy then.

Bike
    tedium
    Quote Originally Posted by White trash View Post
    Yup, three heights I think. Stevie had it on the lowest.

Being a bit shorter than Stevie I didn't have a probelm with the screen height and I think
    Ying for yang. If seat was even higher then the screen height issue would be even worse.

the lack of fliability he describes is actually due to the change from sports bike geometry on his TDM to more dual purpose wheel sizes and geometry.
    TDM sports bike? Oh cm'on Jimmy.....it's got an 18" front for starters. I'm sure smaller wheels wouldn't stop the wallowing.

Personally I'd have no problem tackling farm tracks and rough gravel roads on the Super Ten'.
    Pics or it never happened. Rough gravel would be fine but it lacks even a simple bash plate. Even mildly damp farm tracks would be a handful on that thing.

I'm not having a go at the Ten. I'm just saying, that it's misadvertised. It's a damned good touring bike. To call it "dual sports" or "Adventure bike" is misleading. It's no souped up modern version of the XTZ750 (no1 on my wall of cool) and should therefore not be called the "super tenere".

Bike
    Buell XB12X 'Black Betty'
    Thought theyd be a bit of a wimp. Look, go buy a KTM 990 Adv and spend the considerable change out riding a great bike and having fun, like its all about!
    I'm no gynaecologist, however I would be happy to take a look......................

Bike
    KTM 2T & LC4
    Thanks for the review.

stock Tedium lights are $hite
    Early 850 lights were also shite, but they were shipped with a pair of 35/35W bulbs. I checked the alternator output & wiring, then replaced the bulbs with more typical 55/60s. Faark did that wake 'em up! Tests on the motorways in Aussie showed up reflectors at 1800m well enough to see which direction the road went, and if there were any vehicles parked. No complaints close up, either. Made them the best lights I've had on any bike.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McQueen
    All racers I know aren't in it for the money. They race because it's something inside of them... They're not courting death. They're courting being alive.

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Now the TT350's 6v 35/35w is really crap.

Bike
    2010 R1200GS 2012

seat

1200 gs seat has 2 heights but you are not supposed to run the front and back on different setting as this can cause the bars to come out of their slots. I liked the teneres suspenders.
    Life shouldnt end at the grave well presented but rather, slide in sideways totally worn out yelling "shit that was a great ride!"

Bike
    silly green dirt bike..........DOH
    Blog Entries

beast....
    I FEEL THE NEED, THE NEED FOR SPEED
    my ride picshttp://picasaweb.google.com/sueycarter
    other ride pics http://picasaweb.google.com/113645336286831595353

Thread Information