Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $$$$ L - Plates

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GPXchick View Post
    Hey bud why do you think having an L plate instincts a learner mentality?
    Check out my blog on L plates. There is nothing wrong with using an L plate. They are just an informative sign for other road users.
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...ir-just-a-sign

I have 15 years of Cage driving, so my road knowledge is great.
    I love that one. Check out my blog entry on why car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...-riding-skills

Bike
    07' Kwaka GPX250R
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by p.dath View Post

I love that one. Check out my blog entry on why car driving skills don't convert to motorcycle road riding skills.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/en...-riding-skills
    I Ment in it the way that im aware people are idiots, and i'm not also learning the rode code while trying to learn how to ride a bike. I also think because i drove a manual car it has helped me on a bike. My sister just can't get her head around the gears - bloody auto drivers. Other than that your right Cars and bikes 2 different kettles of fish. Love my bike, my poor ss is so lonley now thinking of buying a jetski for xmas then the holden still has something to do

Bike
    Trip and Fanta
    I Ment in it the way that im aware people are idiots, and i'm not also learning the rode code while trying to learn how to ride a bike. I also think because i drove a manual car it has helped me on a bike. My sister just can't get her head around the gears - bloody auto drivers. Other than that your right Cars and bikes 2 different kettles of fish. Love my bike, my poor ss is so lonley now thinking of buying a jetski for xmas then the holden still has something to do
    I also agree, having car driving experience (or should I say "being a road user" experience) does help somewhat with riding. I learnt many useful things about being on the road BEFORE I started riding. It's about being observant and considerate to others, and thinking about what their needs are on the road, not just your own. For example, I don't need to drive a truck to know that they can't brake as fast as cars and bikes and that they leave a big gap for a reason, so pulling in front of them is not a good idea. Didn't know / think about this when I first started driving that's for sure.

Bike
    GSX-R 750 Y
    In saying that, when you drive a truck, you'll learn all sorts of new things your car and bike won't teach you. You see a lot of crazy shit up in the cab, plus much to those whom are un-educated on this, trucks need to be driven more than people realise. I won't get into it, but there's more to it than squeeze and point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellzie View Post
    I also agree, having car driving experience (or should I say "being a road user" experience) does help somewhat with riding. I learnt many useful things about being on the road BEFORE I started riding. It's about being observant and considerate to others, and thinking about what their needs are on the road, not just your own. For example, I don't need to drive a truck to know that they can't brake as fast as cars and bikes and that they leave a big gap for a reason, so pulling in front of them is not a good idea. Didn't know / think about this when I first started driving that's for sure.
    Cats land on their feet. Toast lands jamside down.
    A cat glued to some jam toast will hover in quantum indecision

Curiosity was framed; ignorance killed the cat

Fix a computer and it'll break tomorrow.
    Teach its owner to fix it and it'll break in some way you've never seen before.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by \m/ View Post
    Most cops ignore the 70k rule, but they will enforce the L plate law. I have an L plate on my bike and I've ridden past patrol cars parked on the roadside while doing 100k and haven't been pulled over.
    Answer me this if you will...
    If a Cop is having a bad hair day and decides to stop someone showing an L Plate because they riding at 100kph, how much do you think the fine would be?

And dont say it wont happen.

Bike
    07' Kwaka GPX250R
    Blog Entries

Fines

$200 if under 40kms over limit 25 demerit points.
    So went past another copper today 98 kms he nodded at me and smiled.

Bike
    83 GPz550
    I find that the coppers are all well and good, Provided that you don't do anything extremely stupid. They know that you are learning to ride and also to be as safe as possible.

Bike
    2004 SV1K
    Ok, I love the mixed reactions/opinions etc,
    In a nut shell, If you go over the 70km limit and you get pulled up, its because you have your L plate on, take the fucker off. If you get pulled up in say a 50 zone doing 53 with no L plate, you make sure you bolt your L plate on at home, You rip it off the back of your bike and you either Jam it into a pocket or under the seat of your bike, (make sure its dirty) so long as your not a pratt to the plod, all you have to do is take it out when they ask where it is and explain, "I was parked on the main street outside blah blah and some dick has ripped it off and biffed it on the ground" or you change your story on the fly, I rode to Blenhiem and back to Dunedin on my Learners and I got pulled over once for 110 in an 80 simply because I failed to see the 80 sign that was posted, long story short, I asked him how he was etc, when he asked what the story was I explained I had missed the 80 sign that was posted, he had a look at my license and and glance over my bike and he had a bit of a laugh over a sign I had on my bike at the time saying want sex?, and he let me go on my way.
    You just need to stay calm if you get pulled over and act confidant but not cockey, but unless you are doing something stupid or speeding like a crazy prick then your not going to be pulled over.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenMistake View Post
    Ok, I love the mixed reactions/opinions etc,
    In a nut shell, If you go over the 70km limit and you get pulled up, its because you have your L plate on, take the fucker off. If you get pulled up in say a 50 zone doing 53 with no L plate, you make sure you bolt your L plate on at home, You rip it off the back of your bike and you either Jam it into a pocket or under the seat of your bike, (make sure its dirty) so long as your not a pratt to the plod, all you have to do is take it out when they ask where it is and explain, "I was parked on the main street outside blah blah and some dick has ripped it off and biffed it on the ground" or you change your story on the fly, I rode to Blenhiem and back to Dunedin on my Learners and I got pulled over once for 110 in an 80 simply because I failed to see the 80 sign that was posted, long story short, I asked him how he was etc, when he asked what the story was I explained I had missed the 80 sign that was posted, he had a look at my license and and glance over my bike and he had a bit of a laugh over a sign I had on my bike at the time saying want sex?, and he let me go on my way.
    You just need to stay calm if you get pulled over and act confidant but not cockey, but unless you are doing something stupid or speeding like a crazy prick then your not going to be pulled over.
    Cool, yeah, that'll work.

And people wonder why Popos pay little attention to the explanations people make.

How about, foolish me, JUST COMPLY WITH THE LAW.

Harumph.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Fines - are for breach of licence conditions.
    Each carries a $100 penalty (was $400) but now also carries demerits. 25 or 35, depending on which is broken.

Conditions are -
    # you must ride a motorcycle of up to 250cc only
    # you must not go faster than 70km/h
    # your motorcycle must display a learner (L) plate - rear only
    # you must not carry a passenger
    # you must not ride between 10pm and 5am

Doing 100kph on the open road (say) on L is NOT speeding - it is breach of licence condition. But if you are caught doing this in an 80kph zone, you could be done for the breach AND speeding (20k over).
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information