Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: South Island Impromptu Adventure Ride: 12, 13, 14 March

Bike
    DRZ400E

South Island Impromptu Adventure Ride: 12, 13, 14 March

This is a bit of an impromptu ride with little notice (sorry), there are 4 riders so far but its open to any rider as long as you are a good bugger with a sense of humour.

Just finished the final calls to check track status, access codes etc, all looking good for what should be a ripper of a trip

Departure time and meeting place
    The Peg (Belfast Tarvern - 899 Main North Road ) 7:00am

Route overview
    This is a 3 day ride but setup so you can jump in for a 2 day ride if you want (2 riders already doing this) . The tracks are mixed in terrain, the first day has a couple of testing sections on Edwards and Mailings but nothing extreme at all and is really just a great route. Day 2 Porika Track and Waitahu River track may be a bit more of a challenge in places, day 3 is Waitahu River track (heading out) and then Big River which is a pretty easy but fun track

Saturday : Christchurch > Hamner > Tophouse Road > Edwards Valley Track > Mailings Pass > Rainbow Road > Lake Rotoiti > camp the night at DOC campsite (I’ll be sliding in an evening fish)

Sunday : Head accross the top of Lake Rotoroa via Porika Track, Braeburn Track > Maruia Saddle > Reefton (grab a bite to eat) > Waitahu River track. Chill out or go for a walk up the Montgomerie River for a fish. Stay the night in Montgomerie Hut

Monday : Head back out Waitahu River track > Reefton (grab a bite to eat) > Big River Road > head back out > Chch

Fuel stop information
    These are not absolutely precise, but conservative enough to keep yourself out of trouble if you have a small tank

140km : Christchurch > Hamner (Hanmer Springs Caltex open 7:30am 6pm)

190km : Hamner > Lake Rotoiti including 40km round trip Edwards Valley and 30km round trip Mailings Pass (St Arnaud Alpine Village Store Mobil open 8am to 7:30pm) head to Lake Rotoiti

70km : Lake Rotoiti > Porika Rd > Lake Rotoroa > Braeburn Track > Mangles Valley Rd > Murchison (Murchison Mobil open 6am – 9pm)

130km : Maruia Saddle > SH65 > West Bank Road > SH7 to Reefton (Reefton Mobil open Sunday 9am-5pm + 24hr Eftpos)

50km : Reefton > Waitahu River (Stay night in hut) return trip in morning (Reefton Mobil open Monday 7am- 6pm + 24hr Eftpos)

50km : Reefton > Big River return trip (Reefton Mobil open Monday 7am- 6pm + 24hr Eftpos)

160km : Reefton > Culverden (Culverden Service Station 24hr Eftpos)

100km : Culverden > Christchurch

890km : Total

Access details
    Edwards and Mailings Pass : Open - gate access codes have been obtained, bikes have been logged – If you are going to come PM me your a)registration b)bike colour c) make/model so I can log it with DOC

Rainbow Road : Open - gate is manned from 7am till 6pm

Porika Rd : Officially open but classed as closed due to fallen trees. DOC guy recons impassable by standard four wheel vehicle but said we could give it a nudge on motorbikes, I am happy to attempt it, worst case scenario we may have to backtrack 15 km and reroute through SH63 and Gowan Valley Road. If we do have to backtrack it won’t put any pressure on fuel range in this section (backtrack will be well within 90km to next fuel stop)

Braeburn Track : Open

Maruia Saddle : Open

West Bank Road : Open

Waitahu River : Open but classed as degraded condition

Big River : Open

Fees
    Rainbow Road : $15 per rider
    Lake Rotoiti : Camp fee $7.10
    Montgomerie Hut : $5.10 DOC hut fee (category=Standard hut)

Totals
    $22.10 : for the 2 day riders
    $27.20 : for the 3 day riders

** Bring cash as there is no eftpos **

If you are keen reply to thread or shoot me a PM

Bike
    06 VFR800, 03 WR450F
    Hey Josh,
    Thanks for throwing itin together looking good.
    My bike still making some odd noises so I might take tank off and recheck valve clearances but I should be good to go.
    What is the plan for food each night? I don't have a gas cooker to bring so can you provide? My tent is a three man, so how about I bring us the tent and you can be the kitchen bitch???
    If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room!
    Life begins where your comfort zone ends!

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdakar View Post
    Hey Josh,
    Thanks for throwing itin together looking good.
    My bike still making some odd noises so I might take tank off and recheck valve clearances but I should be good to go.
    What is the plan for food each night? I don't have a gas cooker to bring so can you provide? My tent is a three man, so how about I bring us the tent and you can be the kitchen bitch???
    All good mate

Not good about those odd noises, fingers crossed its just clearances and you're good to go

I have my MSR cooker so will take plenty of spare fuel and have all the cooking gear we need. I can organise getting and taking up the food for night 1, then we can grab some supplies as we pass through Reefton for night 2.

Maybe a bit of overkill taking a 3 man tent, no doubt she'll be heavy and big, I have one of these you can borrow if you like
    http://www.adventureguide.co.nz/arti...helter-fly.php
    It only weighs a little over 800grms and fairly small, you're welcome to it if you are up for fly camping

Bike
    KLR650 WR450
    was down that way a week or two ago.

Porika was officially closed due to a slip - apparently lighter bikes can be manhandled past the slip.

Waitahu River is going to be a challenge to ride to the hut - awesome track but 3 million sump busting rocks fill the river bed you have to repeatedly cross - I've been in there 4-5 times and never yet made it to the hut

lots of great riding around Reefton

take lots of photos

would join you if I could

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    was down that way a week or two ago.

Porika was officially closed due to a slip - apparently lighter bikes can be manhandled past the slip.

Waitahu River is going to be a challenge to ride to the hut - awesome track but 3 million sump busting rocks fill the river bed you have to repeatedly cross - I've been in there 4-5 times and never yet made it to the hut

lots of great riding around Reefton

take lots of photos

would join you if I could
    Thanks for that marks, neither of the DOC offices I talked to mentioned a slip, in saying that one girl from the Nelson DOC office said it was absolutely fine start to finish, thanks for the heads up... We'll give it nudge anyway we can retreat if need be

As for your comments on the Waitahu, there is nothing I have read in quite a while that amps me up for a challenge quite like what you said Knowing mattsdakar's style he'll be dead keen too, will have my camera so will bring back plenty of pics, hopefully of our bikes parked outside the hut

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 Adventure
    Dayum.....I wish I lived in the South Island... Have a good one, sounds like a great little ride out...

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Quote Originally Posted by ADVGD View Post
    Thanks for that marks, neither of the DOC offices I talked to mentioned a slip, in saying that one girl from the Nelson DOC office said it was absolutely fine start to finish, thanks for the heads up... We'll give it nudge anyway we can retreat if need be

As for your comments on the Waitahu, there is nothing I have read in quite a while that amps me up for a challenge quite like what you said Knowing mattsdakar's style he'll be dead keen too, will have my camera so will bring back plenty of pics, hopefully of our bikes parked outside the hut
    If you check the Jatz' thread you'll see that the slip on the porika isn't one to be taken lightly. I think it may be passable if the gear was taken off & the bikes carried/ manhandled across some serious muddy crap. Jatz do you want to jump in here (no not literally FFS)
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
    If you check the Jatz' thread you'll see that the slip on the porika isn't one to be taken lightly. I think it may be passable if the gear was taken off & the bikes carried/ manhandled across some serious muddy crap. Jatz do you want to jump in here (no not literally FFS)
    Cheers Padmei, could you kindly post a linky, I looked back through the "Wot the Jatz's did.." but couldn't see it, or are you talking about another thread?

Bike
    91 R80GS
    Cheers Padmei, could you kindly post a linky, I looked back through the "Wot the Jatz's did.." but couldn't see it, or are you talking about another thread?
    Hmmm it could have all been a dream however was looking at doing the porika untill I saw the pics....
    In life as in dance Grace glides on blistered feet

Bike
    04 KTM 640, 05 FE450
    Porika is pretty passable. I was there a few weeks ago, on my way escaping after the Christchurch quake. I went from the St Arnaud (Howard?) end to the lake. Likely easier that way I think. You are going that way, or do I have the lake names mixed up?

Not sure I would take a beemer through, but was fine on the 640. Got off and walked the bike through the slip, but depending on how many have been through since I would imagine it would be fine.

Eventually we may need to take up a chainsaw and spade to clear the entrance and exit of the slip, but the rock in the bottom was not slippery.

I think I took a photo on my phone. I will have a dig.

Have fun

Bike
    F800GS
    one girl from the Nelson DOC office said it was absolutely fine start to finish, thanks for the heads up... We'll give it nudge anyway we can retreat if need be
    I wonder if thats the same girl who told us the Rainbow was closed when we were coming down for the D.B.

Anyhoooo......http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1129971176
    post # 3738 If MrsJ can get through so can you
    I reakon you'll be fine with 4 bods, take a strop to let the bikes down the steep bit would be my advice, however it may have all changed by now. There was no trees down when we went through.
    What time you fullahs planing on leaving the lakes ? I MAY tag along for a bit

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
    Porika is pretty passable. I was there a few weeks ago, on my way escaping after the Christchurch quake. I went from the St Arnaud (Howard?) end to the lake. Likely easier that way I think. You are going that way, or do I have the lake names mixed up?

Not sure I would take a beemer through, but was fine on the 640. Got off and walked the bike through the slip, but depending on how many have been through since I would imagine it would be fine.

Eventually we may need to take up a chainsaw and spade to clear the entrance and exit of the slip, but the rock in the bottom was not slippery.

I think I took a photo on my phone. I will have a dig.

Have fun
    Shot rogerh, cheers for that

For interests sake, if you do have a pic that would be great

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by JATZ View Post
    I wonder if thats the same girl who told us the Rainbow was closed when we were coming down for the D.B.
    She was a nice friendly girl, but just not up with the play eh

Anyhoooo......http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1129971176
    post # 3738 If MrsJ can get through so can you
    I reakon you'll be fine with 4 bods, take a strop to let the bikes down the steep bit would be my advice, however it may have all changed by now. There was no trees down when we went through.
    Nice job MrsJ Cheers for the pics, that looks well doable to me

What time you fullahs planing on leaving the lakes ? I MAY tag along for a bit
    For sure JATZ, would be great to catch up. We can touch base tomorrow once we have got all our ducks in a row, if you are keen to catch up for a squirt then we can set some times to meet up

Bike
    800XC
    have got all our ducks in a row,
    If you are taking ducks I might have to talk the missus round and join you I want to see how you strap 'em on

Bike
    DRZ400E
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    If you are taking ducks I might have to talk the missus round and join you I want to see how you strap 'em on
    It may not be worth a special trip, like most people I just use standard duck grade bungee cords

Thread Information