Thread: ADV garage air compressors

Bike
    Very Modded DR650

ADV garage air compressors

A few of you guys have compressors in your garage to work on your ADV bikes. I'm considering getting one if it seems I can get something suitable for cheap.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use it to bead and pump up tyres, undo stuck bolts, maybe a bit of spray painting though thats not essential and run a grinder/dremel attachment off it.

Is there anything else you use yours for?

What would be considered a minimum size hp/psi for general garage duties?

Is something like this any good? it's cheap and local to me. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=359491294

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz NZ's dedicated Adventure Riding Community
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    800XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    I'm considering getting one if it seems I can get something suitable for cheap.What would be considered a minimum size hp/psi for general garage duties?

What ? your hairdryer not up to the job?

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Crim View Post
    What ? your hairdryer not up to the job?
    nope, mine isn't the professional salon model.
    Forums, free GPS track downloads and much more. Now over 5700 members, are you one of them?

Bike
    that black thing above the puddle of oil
    Bigger tank for painting stuff, but for pumping tyres etc, that's fine.

It's all the attachments that cost money.
    Showing off for the camera since ages ago

Barts Photos
    Barts adventure photo thread

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    it all depends on how much air your tools require.
    think about what tools you want/need/will get then size the compressor to them.
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    Very Modded DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by nallac View Post
    it all depends on how much air your tools require.
    think about what tools you want/need/will get then size the compressor to them.
    Cheers, thats the sort of advice I need, didn't know that was a consideration in working things out.

There's also this one, the labelling makes it look like a el cheapo, but it also looks like exactly the same unit as the one in my original post.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=359238409

Bike
    Pure coolness...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddieb View Post
    Cheers, thats the sort of advice I need, didn't know that was a consideration in working things out.

There's also this one, the labelling makes it look like a el cheapo, but it also looks like exactly the same unit as the one in my original post.

[url]http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=359238409[/
    most of my airtools require at least 8-9 cubic m, per min, die grinder and 3" cut off wheel really sucks the air.
    PSI isn't what you need to know its the CUB rating,
    As with any thing the more you pay the better you get.

Mines a 12cu one i paid $700 for second hand 10 years ago.
    Puts out plenty for tools, 3 cyl pump good for spray painting as cyls work less = less water build up.
    Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the side effects of horsepower.

'Fast' Harleys are only fast compared to stock Harleys.

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Eddie this is how it works with piston compressors. Direct drive versus belt drive
    and how much money you have.
    Direct drive spin over at 2800 rpm and are noisy and produce alot of heat and that causes condensation which collects in the receiver and eventually can end up in air tools and through you spray gun if you are painting not a good look. Drain the receiver on a regular basis. If the pump or motor fails the next place for it is in the bin. OK and ideal for small jobs blowing up tyres dust gun and short burst of air flow. I have one for this purpose.

Belt Drive is the best motor spins at 2800 rpm but the pump spins at around the 1000 rpm less noise if there should be a failure ie motor or pump, either is replaceable. As for size and perfomance 3HP is the maximum for single phase and they are usually rated at 15-16cfm ( cubic feet minute) this is for selling them only as it works out you will probably get around 12 scfm of free air delivered at 100psi from this size unit.
    To give you an idea a dust gun can flow 10cfm a spray gun will use the same amount and when you get into air tools the skys the limit.
    As for a bigger tank ( receiver ) this is double edged, sure a larger tank will give you more short term capacity but it also takes longer to pump up to a usable pressure if you only have a small job to do. Basiclly you can not use more air than the pump can produce. If you need alot of air in a single phase operation the best option is to have 2 small compressors running side by side with a common outlet the trick is to have the pressure switches set out of sink so that they dont both start up at the same time and blow the fuse off the board.
    Anyway for what you are going to use this for I'm sure it would be fine tyres dust gun only and small paint jobs, you ain't going to paint a car with it. Dont get to carried away with air tools as they use alot of air it will drive an impact gun for short burst but air drills and ratchets you will be stopping all the time and waiting for it to build back up to pressure.
    Any further questions just ask. Maybe I can sell you a filter set, regulator, breathing air set or something for when you get serious
    regards GSers

PS as for the photos the direct drives just about all come from the same factory in China / Italy you know how it is different label better model

Bike
    DR650 again
    Quote Originally Posted by GSers View Post
    Eddie this is how it works with piston compressors. Direct drive versus belt drive
    and how much money you have.
    Direct drive spin over at 2800 rpm and are noisy and produce alot of heat and that causes condensation which collects in the receiver and eventually can end up in air tools and through you spray gun if you are painting not a good look. Drain the receiver on a regular basis. If the pump or motor fails the next place for it is in the bin. OK and ideal for small jobs blowing up tyres dust gun and short burst of air flow. I have one for this purpose.

Belt Drive is the best motor spins at 2800 rpm but the pump spins at around the 1000 rpm less noise if there should be a failure ie motor or pump, either is replaceable. As for size and perfomance 3HP is the maximum for single phase and they are usually rated at 15-16cfm ( cubic feet minute) this is for selling them only as it works out you will probably get around 12 scfm of free air delivered at 100psi from this size unit.
    To give you an idea a dust gun can flow 10cfm a spray gun will use the same amount and when you get into air tools the skys the limit.
    As for a bigger tank ( receiver ) this is double edged, sure a larger tank will give you more short term capacity but it also takes longer to pump up to a usable pressure if you only have a small job to do. Basiclly you can not use more air than the pump can produce. If you need alot of air in a single phase operation the best option is to have 2 small compressors running side by side with a common outlet the trick is to have the pressure switches set out of sink so that they dont both start up at the same time and blow the fuse off the board.
    Anyway for what you are going to use this for I'm sure it would be fine tyres dust gun only and small paint jobs, you ain't going to paint a car with it. Dont get to carried away with air tools as they use alot of air it will drive an impact gun for short burst but air drills and ratchets you will be stopping all the time and waiting for it to build back up to pressure.
    Any further questions just ask. Maybe I can sell you a filter set, regulator, breathing air set or something for when you get serious
    regards GSers

PS as for the photos the direct drives just about all come from the same factory in China / Italy you know how it is different label better model
    Wot he said.

I have a direct drive and my son has a "Supercheap" belt drive (about $220 on special) and there is a world of difference in air quality and NOISE!!!!

Bike
    1999 BMW R1100GS / 2012 WR 250 R
    CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute) and Cycle time (How long it can run and how long it should rest = cycle) , Big is good with Compressors . Sadly this is reflected in the price. However too small is just as expensive as constant replacement is not good

Bike
    . .
    Here's my antique, Had it at least 20 years and it was old when I got it. Can't read who the maker is but it says "made in England" is that somewhere in China?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0001.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	234433  

Bike
    94 & 98 BMW GS1100
    Made in England wont buy one of those anymore even getting hard to get parts for either a Broom Wade or before the companies joined forces. GSers

Bike
    Tiger - KTM300XC
    I got a cheap one from Supercheap Auto and use it for everything from pumping up tyres, blowing things down to rattlegun, no problems. I leave it on all the time. Bloody handy
    Going away, busy?
    Need your pets fed @ home or dog walked? go here www.petcarebiz.co.nz
    Wanna stay in Kawhia? Have I got the bach for you PM me for details

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I've got one of those supercheap direct drive ones, which like everyone else says is noisy and runs hot. Would need a proper water trap if used for painting but for tyres, duster, etc it's fine. Drain the tank after use seems to be the go. It can also keep up with a small bradder (nailgun) ok.

The main problem I have had with it has been the flap valves in the cylinder head, also the head casting itself was porous so it leaked through there, fixed by pouring araldite into the head.

However for the cost it was fine and when it becomes unfixable it can go to the tip.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information