Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Help needed: Why a high-viz vest might not work

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I think you better learn to accept it ...

The "problem" is ... those reading those statistic's ... in a position of Authority to make decisions on those statistic's ... do not know (or wont say they dont know) if the data is incomplete ... facts are ignored ... or manipulated ...
    I think you misunderstand my meaning. Data collected and compiled on a spread sheet gives an honest overview of the situation under study. As long as that data includes everything relevant.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    The most effective items of safety gear for motorcyclists are all located in their head.

Bike
    2018 Moto Guzzi V9
    whatcha need is a bright flashing Halo. Have no idea how to get one or maintain it though.
    Hivis keeps the wifey happy=less whining noises

Bike
    Trip and Fanta
    I was thinking it would be a good idea to bandy together with 'cyclists' on this issue - they might be an ally in this case. So I started looking at some of the cycling websites, and found this:

http://can.org.nz/article/mythbuster...s-special-gear

"The current emphasis on hi-viz and other special cycling safety gear being promoted as de rigueur for even a trip to the shops may be counterproductive, and off-putting to many potential bike users.

The subconscious message that cycling is a dangerous activity is being unwittingly promoted by the plethora of safety gear now being deemed essential equipment for a bike ride. In fact cycling is statistically a very safe activity and can be done in normal clothing.

More people cycling (no matter what they choose to wear when riding a bike) means safer cycling for everyone. Getting more people to regard cycling as an easy and sensible option they can choose to get from A to B, is one of the most important things that can be done to improve road safety.

If more people are to start to cycle for short journeys, it must be regarded as a normal everyday activity suitable for undertaking in normal everyday attire. Nearly 25% of car journeys in the UK are for 2 miles or less, yet this is an ideal cycling trip distance for anyone to undertake. However, fear and the erroneous perception that cycling is a dangerous activity are the main reasons for people persisting with those short car journeys. 40% own a cycle and would like use it to replace short car trips, but 47% strongly agreed with the statement that “the idea of cycling on busy roads frightens me” with a further 27% tending to agree.

It is interesting to note that in countries with high utility cycling where no special safety equipment is thought necessary, there is better cycle safety.

Each person should be free to choose the type of attire that they feel comfortable in to cycle. Safety gear should be regarded as a matter of personal choice rather than a necessity for utility cycling."

Bike
    750 auw
    Quote Originally Posted by Okey Dokey View Post
    If you are carrying ventura type luggage your hi-vis back may not be visible from the rear.
    Ban it!

____

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    The most effective items of safety gear for motorcyclists are all located in their head.
    I totally agree.

I personally don't wear hi vis while riding (I have a thousand of the things from work) because I ride on the principle that no one has seen me, so were I to wear a hi vis and it gets in my head space that maybe, just maybe, they have seen me, because of the vest... Not a good thing.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I think you misunderstand my meaning. Data collected and compiled on a spread sheet gives an honest overview of the situation under study. As long as that data includes everything relevant.
    It's only as "honest" as those compiling the statistical information ...

Basic numbers entered ... Basic information entered ... gets basic results ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2004 Ducati Monster

eek people look out for what they expect

I pulled in behind a driver who had come to a halt at a stop sign. She paused, obviously looking both ways and drove out in front of a LAV (light armoured vehicle for those who don't know). She was looking for cars, she didn't expect to see a tank. Yep, no matter how big and bright your HiViz gear is, if you are not looked for, you won't be seen

Bike
    Trip and Fanta
    Which is why the more bikes there are on the road the more people will expect them to be on the road and be more likely to look out for them

Thread Information