Thread: Brakes: drum or disc?

Bike
    2012 Hyosung GT250R

Brakes: drum or disc?

Im not entirely sure what the massive difference is. I no disk breaks are better. But is drum break an absolute no or do they work fine just not as well as disk breaks cus I looking at this bike and im pretty sure based on age and model that it has drum breaks.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=361068766

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Firstly, how did you manage to get 'brakes' correct in your title, then incorrectly type 'breaks' in the rest of your post?

Anyway, drum brakes if they are adjusted correctly should be perfectly adequate on that bike, you're not likely to be trying to outbrake anyone on one of those.

And yes it has drum brakes on both ends.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Both will do the job if well maintained, but disks generally offer better heat dissapation, and give better brake feel. Mind you, the GN250s have pretty shit discs, and probably not too different from the SR's drums.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    I'm pootling around on a bike with drums front and rear with no real worries. They probably need attention a little more the disks, by that I mean adjustment (not a hard thing to do) and I go over the bike when doing an oil change (2000ks in my case).
    If anything is going to let them down its probably the cable being stretched but they are only around $35 or so to replace, and an easy job.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    El Bandito
    Quote Originally Posted by stifmyster1 View Post
    Im not entirely sure what the massive difference is. I no disk breaks are better. But is drum break an absolute no or do they work fine just not as well as disk breaks cus I looking at this bike and im pretty sure based on age and model that it has drum breaks.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=361068766
    SRs have twin drums, you can tell by looking at it, the lack of a big disk means you've got drums (or no brakes!)
    They'll do the job, in fact, some manufacturers still use drums, so they'll be perfectly adequate.
    It's not rare to find a disc front and a drum rear on bikes, so don't be put off by that either.
    Just make sure they're all in working order and you'll be sweet mate.

Bike
    2012 Hyosung GT250R
    OK sweet.

Wow didnt realise all the spelling mistakes. I get it from rapid typing in games.

So Looks like im going for that bike. Now I just need to get it checked. Does anyone know of someone in whakatane or optiki that would be ble to take a look for me.

Thread Information