Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Institute of Advanced Motorists NZ

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F

Institute of Advanced Motorists NZ

I did search and found a few references to the IAM but no individual thread as I thought it may derserve, seems like an interesting organisation.

The website covers the basics of what they are about and there's a bit on Wiki. I was impressed (I'm easily impressed) by what was covered yesterday at the Hamilton Upskill event.

So before I go spend $90 on their test, I'm wondering if anyone on here has had much to do with them?

Bike
    1988, Honda CBR250
    Is this just a test only, or is it progressive training with the intent of passing the test?

I'm all for anything that will improve my riding ability, however I don't see any use for a piece of paper that says I passed a test unless it really means something.

I took a quick look at the IAM NZ website and wasn't able to answer my own question.

Bike
    Sold
    Mike,

I'm hoping to eventually become an IAM Observer (their name for Instructor) if I'm good enough. I sent an email to their website and didn't get a reply so a few weeks later, managed to find a couple of names of people who were IAM-rated. They have their own motorcycle training businesses so sent emails to them - again no replies. I ended up ringing one of them who is apparently Chief Instructor in NZ and got an invitation to join him on a monthly ride but still light on details. Unfortunately, a holiday in Vietnam got in the way so I'm currently trying to resurrect the whole thing.

Must say that I've been a bit disappointed in the seeming lack of a professional response so far and wonder if the UK-based organisation is running on a shoestring here. I will persevere.....

Geoff

Bike
    2016 GSXS 1000F
    Blog Entries
    I did the IAM driver training and test a gizzalion years ago shortly after IAM started in NZ. The tutors and tester were ex UK Police driver trainers who had moved to live in NZ. The IAM organisation didn't last long here.

I found the training and test tough; the training made a huge difference to my driving skills across the range. I doubt if I could reach the standard set at that test now - getting/got old.

I have heard IAM motorcycle trainers/testers exist in NZ. However, if a training or testing programme exists in NZ I doubt it is anywhere near the standard set in the UK. If it was at that standard I would be interested in it.
    Here for the ride.

Bike
    vulcanNomad
    Have filled out the contact form on the website will see what happens.
    Don't judge me based upon your ignorance.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by sinned View Post
    However, if a training or testing programme exists in NZ I doubt it is anywhere near the standard set in the UK. If it was at that standard I would be interested in it.
    Dennis,
    You might be waiting quite a while judging by my current experience but I'll ring the alleged chief instructor this week and see if we can get any clarity. will report back.

Incidentally, a friend from the UK and his wife are emigrating to NZ this year. They're both IAM observers. I told them that IAM existed over here so they emailed the NZ website to introduce themselves. As of 3 weeks ago, they hadn't had a reply either.

Bike
    2012 Striple
    As per Blackbirds post (Geoff) I am going to contact the IAM UK about the none happenings of the AKL office as I like Geoff have not had any response after sending an email to their site. When I get a response from head office I will post back. (Dylan UK IAM observer for Coventry and Warwick Advanced Motorcyclists (CWAM))

Bike
    Sold
    2018 Update. Things have changed a lot in 6-7 years. The details of the people below have been removed as they retired from those positions years ago. Please make contact via the website, as this is fully functional, monitored and maintained. http://iam.org.nz

Well, the Institute of Advanced Motorists in the UK didn't hang about after Stormer (Dylan) got in touch - thanks mate, you're a gem! See response below, the UK parent is having trouble too. Perhaps most of the effort is directed towards advanced driving of the 4-wheeled kind but I'll have a ring round today and see what sort of response I get. Will post as soon as I have something to report. There's clearly a real need for this kind of training.

Cheers,

Geoff

To: iam.org.uk
    Sent: Tue, 5 April, 2011 15:19:38
    Subject: Enquiry from website

Sorry to that you are having problems contacting the NZ branch, the only information that we have is what is on our website.

NEW ZEALAND
    Institute of Advanced Motorists (N.Z.) Inc,
    PO Box 26-421, Epsom, Auckland

- Personal contact details removed -

We have tried to contact them to get any new information off of them, but they are not replying to us either.

As soon as i find out more i will make sure that our website is up to date.

Kind Regards

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it Lyn Francis

IAM Operations Support Manager

support@iam.org.uk

Bike
    Sold
    Result!!

Was rung up a few minutes ago by the Chief Instructor of IAM NZ. He apologised for the long delay but explained that there are very few IAM observers in NZ and as the organisation is largely voluntary and they all have to earn a crust too, things get pretty stretched. They will, however respond to everyone who writes in, it might just take some time. Fair comment too

Cutting to the chase, I have an observed ride coming up in a few days which he's managed to squeeze in among other commitments. 2003 was the last time I took a formal advanced course so I'm under no illusions that it's going to be a humbling experience. That's what it's all about though if any of us are to improve our skills. The voluntary nature of IAM really appeals to me in terms of giving something back to the motorcycle community after 40+ years of riding now I'm retired. That of course depends on whether I can reach the desired standards.

More on how I get on in due course!

Geoff

Bike
    2005, Yamaha FZ1
    Hi there,
    This thread was sent to me as an interesting piece of reading. Up until about 18 months ago, I was chief examiner for the IAM NZ, and I am just an ordinary examiner now.
    The bike side of IAM NZ isn't very big, and the last time I heard there were more examiners than actual motorcycle members.
    The "committee" are just about split 50/50 between elderly car enthusiasts, and ex-UK Police motorcyclists.

The IAM is completely voluntary, which is one of the reasons I had to stand down as Chief. Army Bay to Manukau for a meeting, once a month, and not really getting anything achieved.
    If you would like to PM me, I can give you more details. Good on Philip (chief Examiner) for organising an observed ride for you.
    If you are going re-sit your test and need any training, then perhaps I can help with that, as Philip won't be able to train and examine you.
    The IAM NZ has great potential in New Zealand, but needs a few things to change before that can happen. Enough said on a public forum.
    Don't get me wrong though, the organisation is very much here, but not very prominent.
    Tricia
    Roadcraft School of Motorcycling Ltd.,
    Diploma in Advanced Motorcycle Instruction
    021 269 3246
    Shop 4, 15-19 Florence Ave.,
    Orewa

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    Result!!

Was rung up a few minutes ago by the Chief Instructor of IAM NZ. He apologised for the long delay but explained that there are very few IAM observers in NZ and as the organisation is largely voluntary and they all have to earn a crust too, things get pretty stretched. They will, however respond to everyone who writes in, it might just take some time. Fair comment too

Cutting to the chase, I have an observed ride coming up in a few days which he's managed to squeeze in among other commitments. 2003 was the last time I took a formal advanced course so I'm under no illusions that it's going to be a humbling experience. That's what it's all about though if any of us are to improve our skills. The voluntary nature of IAM really appeals to me in terms of giving something back to the motorcycle community after 40+ years of riding now I'm retired. That of course depends on whether I can reach the desired standards.

More on how I get on in due course!

Geoff
    Remember, that GOOD QUALITY TRAINING stays with you forever. It doesn't get sold with your bike, or expire with your rego. It stays with you FOREVER..

It's not the message that is DELIVERED, but the message that is RECEIVED that is important.

Bike
    Sold

Doing the IAM Observed Ride

Well, I completed my IAM Observed Ride on Sunday afternoon and what an experience (in many ways ).

I've detailed what I went through in the latest blog post: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2011/...sterclass.html with some follow-up comments which might help with deciding whether to follow up on it.

Rather than repeat anything, it's all in the blog!

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    07XL650V, 89GPX250F
    Well done Geoff, great write up. I think I will hold off on booking in for the test ride and concentrate on doing what I know for a bit longer. Build more confidence, attend the next upskill day and think again at a later point.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemike104 View Post
    Well done Geoff, great write up. I think I will hold off on booking in for the test ride and concentrate on doing what I know for a bit longer. Build more confidence, attend the next upskill day and think again at a later point.
    Thanks mikemike! Best wishes for whatever you decide. I don't know whether you're aware of it but Wayne Holden operates a riding/driving school in Hamilton. He's the Chief Examiner (cars) for the IAM and is presently qualifiying as an Observer for bikes too. He actually runs non-IAM advanced courses in Hamilton which might be of interest.

All the best,

Geoff

Bike
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    One Sunday on my way out west, stopped in at Shell Westgate and had a chat to some riders, it was IAM going on oberved ride, Philip kindly asked if I'd like to join them. Spent a couple hours riding around, with a couple breaks and discussion.
    They even had a couple of radios to communicate with each other/observees, but unfortunately one short for me.

Their "bible" is the UK Police Roadcraft book, here:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-R.../dp/011341143X

which I will now buy. It is VERY comprehensive. The reviews on Amazon speak well.

It was explained to me, that improvement is guided by trying to perfect what is in that book. After observed rides, the observer notes (on a checklist so that you can refer back to it) any deviations from what's in the book, so that you can objectively examine how you can be "more perfect" =)
    Very nice guys, obviously sensible motorcyclists. I really like the approach, and did take sheets to sign up, am still considering it, but like many, am balancing my more fun recreational riding with such focused training.
    - Nick

Bike
    2007 Triumph Daytona 675
    FYI found the book on fishpond
    price roughly equivalent to getting it off ebay or amazon, and expect to come much quicker: http://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Moto...ycle+roadcraft
    - Nick

Thread Information