Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Synthetic fortified oil and older machines

Bike
    XT
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    The only issues early on with synthetics were some oil seals weaping. All seals are now designed to cope with synthetics. There was a legal thing about it in the USA and seals had to conform - can't remember from what year.

Other than the posibility of the above oil seal issue I can't not see a reason a synthetic oil would 'harm' your engine as you imply. Care to explain.
    I'm no oil engineer.

But, are you talking about oil seal swell problems with older synthetics? I think they have fixed this problem with modern additives and base oils..

I use Nulon mixed fleet oil. Zddp is 1385 ppm which is pretty good.. It's not the best oil out there, but good enough for the average rider like myself for street use.

If i did a lot of track days or was a hard rider, Mobil 1 for sure..

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...duct_Guide.pdf

Bike
    Thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
    I'm no oil engineer.

But, are you talking about oil seal swell problems with older synthetics? I think they have fixed this problem with modern additives and base oils..
    I spoke with one of our technical engineers in Melbourne a few weeks back about this very subject, he mentioned to me that the testing procedure with seals is extremely extensive with every type known tested for compatibility with the products/additives
    I have no doubt that this is the case.

Thread Information