Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Protecta Insurance - Claim problems

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Any defect that would cause it to fail a WOF is grounds for the insurer to decline a claim EVEN IF IT PLAYED NO PART IN THE CRASH
    Hmmm... interesting and annoying... In practise how does the argument stack up? Anyone know?

I run extra lights... technically it fails wof... wouldn't be amused if suddenly my claim was denied when it had nothing to do with the claim. Then again, I'm not with Protecta.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Well - the insurer MAY relent and approve the claim IF you can prove that the defect did not contribute to, or cause, the crash. Bike doesn't have a rear reflector? That might be all it takes...But you'd still have a fight on your hands.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    All makes, all models!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Hmmm... interesting and annoying... In practise how does the argument stack up? Anyone know?

I run extra lights... technically it fails wof... wouldn't be amused if suddenly my claim was denied when it had nothing to do with the claim. Then again, I'm not with Protecta.
    In response to Gremlin’s question, our opinion is that having the additional lights won’t cause a claim to be declined, if they had nothing to do with the cause of the crash.

Most insurance contracts include an exclusion for vehicles that are in unroadworthy condition, however the Insurance Law Reform Act (1977) would be on the side of the claimant (you!) in this case. The relevant wording is available here:

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM442558.html

So if the lights did not cause or contribute to the crash, then we feel that an insurer couldn’t decline the claim based on the lights making the bike unroadworthy.
    The Team at Protecta
    0800 776 832 www.protectainsurance.co.nz

Bike
    GSXR1000
    It does, insofaras the vehicle must be in WOF-able condition whether it has one or not. Any defect that would cause it to fail a WOF is grounds for the insurer to decline a claim EVEN IF IT PLAYED NO PART IN THE CRASH
    Wrong sorry. Having been in the car industry for over 10yrs now I've seen numerous examples of insurance being paid out with cars that have expired WOF's, and have had an issue needed addressing. If it didn't contribute to the accident it's not relevant.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Wrong sorry. Having been in the car industry for over 10yrs now I've seen numerous examples of insurance being paid out with cars that have expired WOF's, and have had an issue needed addressing. If it didn't contribute to the accident it's not relevant.
    I did say 'grounds'. I don't doubt that many claims are paid out, when a vehicle does not have a current WOF or when there is a defect present. But there'll also be many which are not.
    Some may be approved no questions. Some may be approved after a fight. Some won't. Full stop.

There was a thread put up by someone not too long ago, where they were declined cover after a crash. Their WOF was quite new, yet their insurer insisted front tyre tread was not up to scratch and steadfastly refused to pay out. Despite independent expert opinion that the tyre was fine and that it played no part in the cause of the crash.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    GSXR1000
    I did say 'grounds'. I don't doubt that many claims are paid out, when a vehicle does not have a current WOF or when there is a defect present. But there'll also be many which are not.
    Some may be approved no questions. Some may be approved after a fight. Some won't. Full stop.

There was a thread put up by someone not too long ago, where they were declined cover after a crash. Their WOF was quite new, yet their insurer insisted front tyre tread was not up to scratch and steadfastly refused to pay out. Despite independent expert opinion that the tyre was fine and that it played no part in the cause of the crash.
    Ah yes but that particular company mentioned in that thread have a habit of making things hard. That's why we dropped them as a supplier of our extended mechanical insurance policies.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Ah yes but that particular company mentioned in that thread have a habit of making things hard. That's why we dropped them as a supplier of our extended mechanical insurance policies.
    I think the thread you're referring to is the one we're currently in.

Bike
    so it is
    Well spotted

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    I have a few issues with how insurance works.

1. Its a two way street. If I buy a bike for $1000 and consider that particular bike the best bike in the world and ask an insurance company to insure it for $100,000 and they AGREE and set the preimums accordingly.. and I crash it.. They should pay $100,000 Thats what they agreed to. This whole market value thing is a crock of shit. When I brought the 9 I rung the insurance company and asked them how much they thought it was worth. They asked what I paid for it. I said that was immaterial. I wanted to know how much they thought it was worth. They said they are not in the business of valuing bikes, which is extremely odd to me being as they seem to be quite keen to work out the PAV (isnt that PRE accident valuation) after the bike has been crashed. Wouldnt this be easier to do when the bike is in the PRE stage?
    When I bought my van I had the amusing problem where car insurers like state and AA refused to insure for anything less than twice the value of the vehicle! They said they work on an "agreed value", as opposed to "market value", but still refused to "under insure" my vehicle....

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    so it is
    Well spotted
    speechless!............

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    NC30 VFR400
    Glad I'm not the only one who had issues. Called them recently to organise cover for the ute (it's in dads name, but he hasn't seen it in about 3 months) and they point blank refused to cover me as a named driver, because im female and under 25. Christ you'd think it was an amazingly rare super-car, not a manual commodore ute. Seriously, Its not even a v8. I do far worse things to my mazda than I do to the whale.

Private broker, 15 minutes, including the visit to value it himself, and its insured for agreed value with a minimal excess for my being under 25.

Bike
    '13 Repsol Thou'
    So where is the update from the OP with the result or is it still on-going?

Oh man

Quote Originally Posted by SMOKEU View Post
    Turns out I was just being a n00b.

Bike
    TE 250
    Really keen to hear if op got the claim through.
    Definately not touching this protecta insurance company.
    TMF

Bike
    MonStar

Suck's!

I pay them a hefty 600$ per year and i got a flat tyre a few weeks ago and in my insurance im coverd for flat tyres ect~ so i ring them and say hey i have a flat tyre can somebody please come and give me a hand, they put me on hold for 20 mins come back and tell me im not in the system after 1 and a half years for paying insurance.

im not quite sure what to think this thread reminded me to ring them i will do it tomorow and tel them what i think of them.

Thread Information