Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deano's first National Event - Round 5 - Manfeild

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin

Deano's first National Event - Round 5 - Manfeild

This would be my first entry at a Nationals event so I was pretty excited to say the least. It was all I could think about in the week leading up to it. I was a bit concerned however about a painful rib injury which I picked up the Saturday prior, and whether I would be able to climb over the bike as well as usual.

I also caught a cold on Thursday, which persisted throughout the weekend, so I was dosed up on Codral and Neurofen to try and counter both ailments. That combination + some race nerves on Saturday made me a bit nauseas at times. (So that’s all the excuses out of the way haha.).

After speaking to Nick Southerwood (who was sitting in 3rd place in the series), it seemed most of the field were also nursing injuries – the toll of 4 rounds of racing !

I was sharing a garage with Yohan who had taken up the late opportunity to race in the BEARS class. The weather looked great and everything was running to time. Superlites and Pro Twins were running on the track together and we were first on the programme so it was gear up and get ready for the first of two practice qualifying sessions.

I was genuinely worried that my chest would be hitting the tank on my sore rib but once I got out there it really didn’t bother me. I guess the adrenalin would have helped also.

The track surface was mostly good and the bike was running well. Generally things felt ok but I was having an issue exiting the sweeper as the bike felt like it wanted to stand up and run wide. I placed 7th on the grid and 2nd in class after this session so I was pretty happy with that but also not kidding my self – I was sure the rest were just feeling out the track and trying different lines, and making adjustments to their bike set up.

I made a slight adjustment to try and fix my issue at the sweeper before the second session.

This didn’t solve the problem but instead created one at turn 1 as the rear was now quite keen to slide exiting the turn. All was not lost though as I managed to solve my issue at the sweeper – I had been taking too tight a line, which was the reason for running wide. A bit silly really considering the number of laps I have done there by now.

I checked the final qualifying results and had improved a little to drop into the 16’s, still 7th on the grid but Daniel Kempthorne had also gone quicker and so I was 3rd in class beside him.

I changed my earlier suspension adjustment back to how it was – the tyres were wearing well so I gassed up ready for race 1.

Johnny Small had posted 1.14 in qualifying and I was under no illusions that I would be challenging him. I was however going to try to hang on to 3rd position and have a crack at taking 2nd from Daniel..

The lights go out and I got a good start, getting past Daniel and chasing Kenneth Jones in turn 1. Not sure if it was the first or second lap but I tried to make a move around the outside of Ken at turn 1 and was nearly alongside but got squeezed out on the exit and had to roll out of the gas, allowing Dan back through.

I continued to chase this group and then I think lap 3 under braking into turn 1 and Dan locks up his rear tyre and carries straight on into the gravel. He was fair hauling and I was immediately concerned that he was going to go straight into the tyre wall. We’re heading along the back straight and the red flags came out……bugger. (Dan got a trip to the hospital but was ok)

A full restart was declared so I had to top the fuel back up – lights out and Terry Fitzgerald bogs it off the line in front of me but quickly regains momentum. This was a really good race for me and although I couldn’t stick with the front group and was in a big gap by myself, I kept the pace up and finished comfortably in 2nd place (in class). I also managed a new PB of 1.16.1….so close to busting into the 15’s, which was one of my goals.

Day two dawns and I’m super keen to get back out there and hang on to 2nd place.

Race 2 and I got a good launch but the gearbox had other ideas and jumped out of 2nd and 3rd, leaving me way down the order in about 12th behind Nick Southerwood and Tim Fraser at turn 1. Oh well, at least I’m going to have to work for my money this race !!

I made up one place up the inside of splash, putting me behind Nick. He was nursing a broken thumb so I knew he would be braking a little earlier than usual and so I was able take get past on the inside line at Higgins. I think I got Tim Fraser a lap or 2 later at turn 1 when he overshot a little and ran wide.

Another lap later and I chanced a look over my shoulder exiting the sweeper only to see Tim right there on my arse……holy shit !!

I realised I could not afford to go off the boil so really put my head down, managing to pull out a bit of a buffer over him. Nick Southerwood got past Tim and started to gain on me but not enough to apply any real pressure. Another 2nd !!

I knew I only had to beat Tim in this race to keep 2nd so was really keen to get under way. I got an ok start but Nick Southerwood got a better one. I managed to pass him after about 3 laps, again under braking. I pulled out a gap on him for a few laps but then my mind started to wander thinking about 2nd place and not doing anything silly like crash and throwing it all away. The inevitable happened and I went off the boil, actually making more mistakes at the slower pace. I kept checking over my shoulder at the sweeper and it seemed the gap over Nick was the same, but on the last lap he put in a blinder and was right on me at the end of the back straight – what I didn’t realise was that he needed to beat me (and put 1 person between him and Robbie Stokes) to take 2nd overall in the Championship. I ended up pipping him at the line by 0.105s. I really felt for him as he had shown awesome sportsmanship at Ruapuna, lending Dan Kempthorne his spare bike when Dan’s engine blew up. He also lent Glen Williams his spare bike at Manfeild and I would have liked to have seen him finish 2nd overall

Funnily enough, three 2nd’s meant that I had finished 2nd for the round. I was absolutely stoked and had exceeded all of my expectations – the PB was the cherry on top !

Congratulations to Johnny Small, Robbie Stokes and Nick Southerwood for the top 3 placings.

Thanks to the marshals and MOMC for putting on a great event. Also my family for supporting me, and sponsors listed below, Kyle for the photos, and Welly Crew for their help and support.

The 2010/11 season has been very good to me and I will be back at the end of 2011 after a short break to contest the Tri Series. If all goes well I will also be competing in all the Nationals Rounds in 2012.

Oh - I ended up 9th in the Championship so it might be time for a new number !! LOL
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    great read & congrats Deano, you certainly have the goods along with the right attitude to race, awesome fun to watch you race & very deserving of the placings .. rock on next yr .. woo hooo
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Funnily enough, three 2nd’s meant that I had finished 2nd for the round. I was absolutely stoked and had exceeded all of my expectations – the PB was the cherry on top !
    Excellent result, will we see you doing the full series next season/
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Great effort Deano & a good read to boot !!!

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    03 Hornet 900, 08 Daytona 675 race bike
    Fuck Yeah get the number !!!
    Great read as usual and excellent results !!
    "You never understood that it ain't no good, you shouldn't let other people get your kicks for you" - Bob Dylan

Bike
    Goose
    You done good mate! We were all cheering for you from the bank, it's great having all your family at the track with you too!
    "Some people are like clouds, once they fuck off, it's a great day!"

Bike
    Vespa 550
    good effort man, shame you werent there all series. I was hoping to meet you sometime in the weekend but got a bit sidetracked.

shame you made me crash in T1 in that last race (just kidding). Was trying to chase down geoff in front.

as a side note, Nick S also lent me his spare at Hampton downs when i threw mine into the wall. He was a real champ all series.

For anything race related from arai helmets, to sprockets and chains, XT Lap timers, HRC parts you name it, Kev can get it www.racesupplies.co.nz

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Goodonya mate! I reckon a big fat #9 would look mighty fine on the front of mighty SV.

But you've got far too much time on ya hands out there fella: here you are calculating points gaps, checking positions, thinking thinking etc etc.....it's all I can do to breathe and blink.

Bike
    L1 GSXR 1000
    Well done that man!!!

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinflyz View Post
    shame you made me crash in T1 in that last race (just kidding). Was trying to chase down geoff in front.
    LOL - I think I'm pretty late on the brakes at times and when you outbraked me I thought wow, that's keen.

Your bike looks and goes awesome - I had to ask someone what it was.....Vespa my arse LOL

Will have to catch up next time.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by lostinflyz View Post
    good effort man, shame you werent there all series. I was hoping to meet you sometime in the weekend but got a bit sidetracked.

as a side note, Nick S also lent me his spare at Hampton downs when i threw mine into the wall. He was a real champ all series.
    Thumbs up deano & double thumbs up to Nick Southerwood for lending me his spare bike for the round after I managed to blow up my own at Hampton , but also Binty Wintles 450 on the Friday. (Nicks a brave boy....)

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Stick with 180 bro, she's been good to you. Only trade that shit for a #1 at the end of next season.
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Great read Dean and well done mate. I look forward to hearing about it all again next season and the tri-series.

Bike
    track bike
    Blog Entries
    Awesome ride mate and great to pit with you and to meet your family!

cheers
    johan

Bike
    Various things

Congrats mate!

Nice work.

Thread Information