Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First "driver didn't see me" moment.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z

First "driver didn't see me" moment.

But I saw them well in advance, as did the driver behind me happily.

Luckily only going at 40kph. Look to the school carpark as normal precaution, and yes here comes this lady bowling out of it. No indicator. Came to a quickish halt. Learner plate probably saved me from the driver behind and the necessary slow speed needed in this area.

Lady in car smiled at me as she continued to pull out and zoomed past! WTF? Hate traffic! Want to get out on some open, deserted road.

Anyhoo, also experienced my first stall today with a car behind me. Again a bit of luck, it was a little old lady who wasn't in any hurry. Not sure why I stalled either. Was doing everything the same....hmmm. Ah well.

Bike
    Speed Triple 1050, '89 Spada
    Quote Originally Posted by kilgh View Post
    that is the secret. Riders who rely on cage indicators usually become unstuck. I never trust the things, same with traffic lights. I tell my kids to check cars are stopping at ped crossings (whether lights are there or not).

I always look at the drivers head and eyes. If they haven't made eye contact then be extra prepared.

Always cover your front brake in heavy traffic.

also learn not to "panic grab" the brake. That is - you need to apply brake to transfer weight onto the front tyre - so it is pressed into the road then you can apply more and more force (otherwise it will just lockup with an immediate panic grab).

Well done. It's real "practice" like this with drivers who are oblivious that will keep you upright.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlangMaster
    I had a strange dream myself. You know that game some folk play on the streets where they toss coins at the wall and what not? In my dream they were tossing my semi hardened stool at the wall. I shit you not.

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Yes indeedy, keep your eyes looking well ahead of where you are to look for potential idiots. I had one stupid woman yesterday come up the left of me when I was stopped in traffic. I was in the right had wheel track as I wanted to see past the people mover in front of me, and I had left a bit of a gap between us. Next thing this woman pulls up alongside of me, totally oblivious to my existance. She must have seen me at some stage as she moved left onto the shoulder of the road to get beside me. I sat there staring at her for ages before she even noticed I was there. I pointed at her and then behind me. Once we got movign again, she dropped back behind me. I am splitting on the median there from now on
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    18 Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    Well done to you!

That's what it's all about (unfortunately).

Treat every other road user as a potential threat.

It's called having 'Survival Skills'

Bike
    A Tractor
    Blog Entries
    Well done for seeing the danger and avoiding it.

Last week I had someone decide they should have been on the off ramp ... not going on the motorway... at 100kms. They decided at speed to cut across the white lines and exit....could have been a bit of a mess.

Good point about noting the driver behind. They can make good witnesses if needed.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.

Luckily only going at 40kph. Look to the school carpark as normal precaution, and yes here comes this lady bowling out of it. No indicator. Came to a quickish halt. Learner plate probably saved me from the driver behind and the necessary slow speed needed in this area.

Lady in car smiled at me as she continued to pull out and zoomed past! WTF? Hate traffic! Want to get out on some open, deserted road.

Anyhoo, also experienced my first stall today with a car behind me. Again a bit of luck, it was a little old lady who wasn't in any hurry. Not sure why I stalled either. Was doing everything the same....hmmm. Ah well.
    Nicely anticipated but I feel you need to add to your repertoire. If you have the presence of mind you can always unfurl the Digitus Impudicus to alert the foolish smiling assassin as to your feelings regarding their observational ability.

I guess by the tone of your post you may have far more patience than me though.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z
    Yes, I am pretty laid back in most circumstances. Not prone to road rage.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Yes, I am pretty laid back in most circumstances. Not prone to road rage.
    Splendid. I just enjoy insulting people.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z
    Well, I enjoy that too. But that's for when I'm at work.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Well, I enjoy that too. But that's for when I'm at work.
    Which government department do you work in?

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z
    Aha! But no, not that bad at insulting. Only work in TV.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Aha! But no, not that bad at insulting. Only work in TV.
    Ahh, Breakfast Telly scriptwriter then.

Bike
    2010 Yamaha Scorpio Z
    Hahaa...again not that talented an insulter.

Bike
    2012 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Yes indeedy, keep your eyes looking well ahead of where you are to look for potential idiots. I had one stupid woman yesterday come up the left of me when I was stopped in traffic. I was in the right had wheel track as I wanted to see past the people mover in front of me, and I had left a bit of a gap between us. Next thing this woman pulls up alongside of me, totally oblivious to my existance. She must have seen me at some stage as she moved left onto the shoulder of the road to get beside me. I sat there staring at her for ages before she even noticed I was there. I pointed at her and then behind me. Once we got movign again, she dropped back behind me. I am splitting on the median there from now on
    Had that happen aswell yesterday.. except I was in a line of cars going 50, then she appears beside me.. I think it was my first" driver didnt see me" moment aswell. Although I kinda saw it coming.. lucky I check my mirrors often enough

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    Missed this last night.
    Same thing has happened to me & I felt a complete schmuck for not seeing the biddie sneak up my inside Grrr.
    Really brought it home to me that their is not a moment on the road when you can relax your guard.

Thread Information