Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fibreglassing expertise needed

Bike
    Bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    But it's airborne, I mean, that stuff is pretty much over the counter agent orange
    Ahh, land lord doesn't like the dust? Meh, respirator (can't do glass work without one, well unless you're some special sort of retard ), vacuum cleaner, mission accomplished.

Power tools rock, don't do anything by hand you can't farm out to a DA.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Ahh, land lord doesn't like the dust? Meh, respirator (can't do glass work without one, well unless you're some special sort of retard ), vacuum cleaner, mission accomplished.

Power tools rock, don't do anything by hand you can't farm out to a DA.
    Yeh, reckon I'll just come in to uni and use the paint booth as it has an extractor hood (actually wonder if that just pisses it out the wall though...) to do any sanding required.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Bikes!
    Yeh, reckon I'll just come in to uni and use the paint booth as it has an extractor hood (actually wonder if that just pisses it out the wall though...) to do any sanding required.
    I would be asking the bodyshop people about that before you try it! They might not want a contaminate like that in there booth!

Just sit at the bottom of the garden. It's nowhere near as bad as carbon.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    I would be asking the bodyshop people about that before you try it! They might not want a contaminate like that in there booth!

Just sit at the bottom of the garden. It's nowhere near as bad as carbon.
    see how it goes, apart from the joins in the plastic, I doubt there will be bugger all sanding required anyway. If i get this one sorted, I'm thinking a carbon/kevlar tank next, made the traditional way with female split molds.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT650R
    I doubt there will be bugger all sanding required anyway.
    "I am a licenced motorcycle instructor, I agree with dangerousbastard, no point in repeating what he said."
    "read what Steve says. He's right."
    "What Steve said pretty much summed it up."
    "I did axactly as you said and it worked...!!"
    "Wow, Great advise there DB."
    WTB: Hyosung bikes or going or not.

Bike
    Bikes!
    I'm thinking a carbon/kevlar tank next, made the traditional way with female split molds.
    Definitely the best choice for your first multi mold part.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerousBastard View Post
    Definitely the best choice for your first multi mold part.
    what can I say, I'm an optimist :shrug:

Bike
    Bikes!
    what can I say, I'm an optimist :shrug:
    Carbon and kelvar has some interesting properties that you'd be better off learning about in a smaller cheaper fashion... start with a heel guard or similar.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Another member here made this for his first part:

He used an ester resin with a 20 min pot life, and it was the hurrying that that added that caused him to distort the weave. Rushing never helps. Still, given the propensity or 200gsm carbon dual twil to bridge over such tight radius bends, I reckon he did pretty good for a first attempt.

The three (mostly) flawless parts are Tyga.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    yeh I plan on painting over it anyway, the CF finish isn't really the look I want, however asphalt black (basically a matte black with a cooler name)

point taken though, will see if there are any smaller bits I need and try them first. Think it'll be a while before I get really stuck in to composites anyway.

Bike
    Bikes!
    Well sing out when you do, you might as well learn from our mistakes instead of making them yourself

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Well sing out when you do, you might as well learn from our mistakes instead of making them yourself
    shall do, I generally find a way to make different mistakes anyway

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Bit of hugger action to wet my whistle, so to speak. A good first part to get into glassing with I reckon, as surface imperfections will be a bit hidden, and matte black is gonna be a good color choice

have put 200g cloth over the top of the 450g CSM, feels rigid enough, smooth but there are a few bubbles, got the shape almost sorted so mainly sanding to go.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    That's something I was thinking about today during my Sociology lecture i was wondering if I should make on for the ZZR.
    Be a few weeks before I can get it on the road/tuned up 'cos of the reg/rec being delivered.
    I'll have to have a peek at that!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    That's something I was thinking about today during my Sociology lecture i was wondering if I should make on for the ZZR.
    Be a few weeks before I can get it on the road/tuned up 'cos of the reg/rec being delivered.
    I'll have to have a peek at that!
    haha, riveting stuff was it! Hopefully have it done this weekend, so will let you know if it was a good plan or not. Your ZZR still has the original mudguard anyway though dunnit? I had a bit more pressure to get one on, will still flick onto the exhaust a bit, but not onto the loom/battery/cdi with the hugger

Thread Information