Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fibreglassing expertise needed

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    haha, riveting stuff was it! Hopefully have it done this weekend, so will let you know if it was a good plan or not. Your ZZR still has the original mudguard anyway though dunnit? I had a bit more pressure to get one on, will still flick onto the exhaust a bit, but not onto the loom/battery/cdi with the hugger
    I don't think my ZZR has it's hugger? I thought only the 600 had them? I might go and look The exhaust will look manly and used in no time!

Edit, no hugger, has the big fat ugly rear mud guard though
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

what did u use to cover the rear tyre?
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

also there will be a shit load of sanding, and DO NOT do in it a painting booth... dust is the enemy of paint!!!
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Tin foil to cover the tyre, just sanded it off with a flap wheel on the angle grinder. I got some decent bog which makes it way easier to get a smooth surface and reduces sanding, also not caring so much about the bits you don't see reduces a lot too :P Just been sanding in the garden, made a hell of a mess with the flap wheel!
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    Probably a bit late but we used packing tape over any parts used as a quick and dirty mold.

The binder that holds the fibres together in CSM doesn't dissolve as well with epoxy and leaves a milky finish. Polyester or vinylester is cheaper. CSM and its fibre binder was designed for it.
    If your building up layers use CSM, woven, CSM layers they are stronger that two layers of cloth (boat building fail). You can get woven with CSM on one side if your fancy. You can trim the job roughly with a knife before it sets fully.
    It stinks like car bog being almost the same stuff. CRC's marine bog is vinylester based and is used for plastic repair.

Epoxy should be used with woven cloth and rolled untill its almost transparent.

Shower bases and baths etc use polyester on the underside of the plastic with some pigment in the last layer. Probably just a 600 gsm and a 450 maybe some core mat on the flats.
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    mounted hugger

Obviously not up to the standard as production composite stuff, but not bad for a first go I reckon.
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    That gives me the horn.

Seriously.
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    note to self, no fibreglassing when doug is around

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    note to self, no fibreglassing when doug is around
    It'll be sweet, I'll cut a hole in my pocket...

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    nice job, so what's next?
    "Your talent determines what you can do. Your motivation determines how much you are willing to do. Your attitude determines how well you do it."
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Spearfish View Post
    nice job, so what's next?
    the cowl, which will be plastic on the outside re-enforced with fibreglass on the inside, hoping for easier sanding and less bog!

Bike
    76 HONDA XL125
    A little trick for difficult areas is to mix up a small amount of resin with glue powder, you brush resin over the areas your going to glass then cove a little of the mixed glue in any corners you know the glass will sit up (don't be to neat), place the glass and wet it out (if you don't pre wet it out) like normal. Just roll the glass into the glue mix like its resin.
    It stops any voids being left and softens the radius for the next layers.
    -Lou Holtz

Bike
    bogan.... congrats!
    the hugger is awesome.
    incredibly well done considering it's a diy product...

now, i'd like to steal the topic to ask if in your opinion it is possible to add a fairing (full or demi) to a street triple....

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    Quote Originally Posted by Urano View Post
    bogan.... congrats!
    the hugger is awesome.

now, i'd like to steal the topic to ask if in your opinion it is possible to add a fairing (full or demi) to a street triple....
    possible, but you'd need extreme patience (or CNC gear and patience) to get the mold right. Probably better to start with a smaller project to learn the ins and outs of it a bit like I did.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by Urano View Post
    bogan.... congrats!
    the hugger is awesome.

Yeah, trade it in on a 1050 Sprint

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Thread Information