Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5.8s Drag.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Yeah, I remembered seeing it a few months back. I wonder if it'll ever make it to production. Sorry, I was just being a smart arse
    They've been using them for yonks. Junker made an OPOC aircraft motor in '32, was a dirty oil burner too .
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    SF
    Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    They've been using them for yonks. Junker made an OPOC aircraft motor in '32, was a dirty oil burner too .
    Oh yes, Wikipedia shoulda been a first port of call

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Napier Deltic is probably taking opposed piston to the max.
    However WRT to drag engines, old tech, 2 valve, pushrod (the hemi car engines), magneto ignited compared to (say) formula 1 - 4v dohc, variable valve timing, pneumatic valve springs, all the electronic wizardry they can think of, etc.
    If any of this stuff would make a difference in drag racing it would be done, yet they always go back to the old stuff - I guess supercharging, 98% nitromethane, hydrazine and other assorted chemicals means never having to say your engine was down on power
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Napier Deltic is probably taking opposed piston to the max.
    However WRT to drag engines, old tech, 2 valve, pushrod (the hemi car engines), magneto ignited compared to (say) formula 1 - 4v dohc, variable valve timing, pneumatic valve springs, all the electronic wizardry they can think of, etc.
    If any of this stuff would make a difference in drag racing it would be done, yet they always go back to the old stuff - I guess supercharging, 98% nitromethane, hydrazine and other assorted chemicals means never having to say your engine was down on power
    A huge reason for the pushrod set up is strength.
    The resson for 2v is 4v would weld to the heads or melt, the exhaust valves are red hot and igniting the fuel halfway down the run as the plugs are fuuuucked
    You can arguably get better fowl from multi valve set ups, but, as above...
    In the set up of the cars there is a MASSIVE amount of elec wizardry, weather maps and stations etc etc. Even with mechanical fuel injection one should be looking at cloud cover, air vs track temp, wind speeds etc.
    Exciting stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_t View Post
    Oh yes, Wikipedia shoulda been a first port of call
    It always is
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    400 Husqvarna vmx
    Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Fuck that's pulling almost 2g's.

I was having a chat at Kwinana a couple of weeks back with Chris Mathieson, who now runs this bike, formerly known as The Hulk, in the ANDRA Pro Series under the Nitro Voodoo banner. There's a couple of Athol's assistants in the crew, by the way, including Roger Bloor. Chris said their data recorders indicate that it's up towards 4g at launch, and nearly 3g at shutoff. Bike weighs over 450kg, and pokes out around 1300 hp from 1500cc...
    Jeeez !

They have a website, http://www.nitrovoodoo.com.au which is quite interesting. Have to agree with Richard, they are awesome to see in action !

Bike
    1987 GPX 250
    2gs doesn't sound enough. 4 sounds better. That is mental. Top fuel dragsters do 6

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt View Post
    2gs doesn't sound enough. 4 sounds better. That is mental. Top fuel dragsters do 6
    Top fuelers are doing sub 4.5, most only run on a thousand foot track now because they are carrying too much speed to safely stop in most American strips. They must average over 4G for the entire run, to get to 200mph before half track require a bit more than 8G .
    8000hp tends to do that

Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    Forza 155 SE Pit Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Hi
    Did you know that our own Top Fuel Rider Athol Williams has run 238mph on his bike?
    Until recently that was the 4th fastest drag bike run in the world.
    I even have a Titanium Intake Valve that was in the RB Performance engine that ran that speed.
    Just a few days back Korry Hogan ran 255mph.
    If you ever get a chance to see a Top Fuel Drag bike run you should..they are incredible.
    Thanks
    Richard
    Athol running out of road Click image for larger version. 

Name:	athol.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	246.5 KB 
ID:	237101
    Vote David Bain for MNZ president

Bike
    xr1200hd,99 dyna + choppers
    there is a video on korry hogans 255mph run on u-tube,and he has a camera mounted to his helmet and you can see him wrestling it hard at 3/4 track big balls that boy.

Bike
    Had a 2007 Suzuki C50T Boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Odd how the best engine technology is based on quite old designs - ie this bike can trace its roots to 1970s 2 valve per cylinder Kawasaki Z1s, just as top fuel drag engines hark back to 1950s Chrysler Hemis.
    McGee built a 4 valve Top Fuel engine but could never get it to run with the Hemis.
    As has been said, it requires absolute brute strength to cope with the pressures and temperatures, so simple and strong wins!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatilover View Post
    Find engine technology that isn't an old design With the exception of variable valve timing (in application, the idea is billions of years old)

Not much is new
    I'v e told you a million times, don't exaggerate!

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOUG View Post
    there is a video on korry hogans 255mph run on u-tube,and he has a camera mounted to his helmet and you can see him wrestling it hard at 3/4 track big balls that boy.
    Drag racing either bike or car requires a certain type of person... I couldn't do it!
    You don't get to be an old dog without learning a few tricks.
    Shorai Powersports batteries are very trick!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I really enjoyed that.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Thread Information