Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Scorpio SX-4W basic maintenance

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
    Thanks for the sizes.

Is it fine going to the bigger rear? Just wondering cause I've got the spoked wheel version.

Also wanted to ask, have you ever had an issue with 5th gear slipping back into 4th if you don't slam it in really hard? I've had 5th slip back into 4th every now and then and have had to kick it in harder to make sure it stays in 5th, is this a common thing with scorpios?
    Yes, fine. Both the spoked and cast wheels are the same size.
    You won't regret fitting the lasertecs, they work really well as you can see. Great in the wet too. Run them fairly low cos the bike is light. 24f, 26r if you're 80kgish.

I've had 6 or 7 Scorpios (I buy write offs, all crashed on stock nylon tyres) and have never had the gearbox slip.
    Have you had the oil changed recently?

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS

Bars

http://www.ventura-bike.com/products/streetbar.aspx

VH10/S look best and work well
    VH4/S work well

Both around $40 from your local bike shop.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS

Performance

Gutting the stock pipe, rejetting the carb and opening up the airbox will improve performance by about 10-15%.

Take the muffler off and take it to someone who can weld. Cut the end off (cut existing weld) and pull everything out. Re weld end back on. Have them cut off and grind flat the heat shield mounts while they're at it. Sand the whole thing back to bare metal. Paint with black header paint (1800 deg stuff), about $15 a can from repco, one can will do a couple of pipes. Pull the header off and sand / paint if you can be bothered.

Remove left side plastic panel. Remove airbox door. Replace plastic. Or you can replace the whole airbix with a pod filter, both methods work well.

Have a mechanic rejet the carb for the airbox and exhaust changes.

I always plate off the emissions return system too.

Centre stand is easy to remove. It's quite heavy and close to the ground. Keep it and the pin that holds it in, for chain lubing / wheel removing etc.

These mods do not affect reliability.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    A fast one
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwifruit View Post
    http://www.ventura-bike.com/products/streetbar.aspx

VH10/S look best and work well
    VH4/S work well

Both around $40 from your local bike shop.

Speaking about the bars...I adjusted the position of the bars on the weekend. Lowered/bent them down more and I noticed a huge difference in handling. I have the stock tyres and still had chicken strips on the very edge of the tyre. After 15 minutes of riding around with the new bar position they were gone.

Definitely preferred the lower bar angle comfort wise, but the bike was leaning over so much more (seemed like it anyways) and the tyres were right on the edge of slipping out hence I changed the position back.

I've done 11,000 kms on the stock tyres and can honestly say I haven't had any 'slippery' issues with them prior to changing the bar position. Will be up for new rubber soon and will probably go with the lazertecs.

Overall I've enjoyed the bike a lot. The only issue I have had with it is the slow battery drain after a few days.

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    The stock tyres (made of nylon, not rubber) won't give you any slip issues, until it's too late. They don't give feedback.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio Z
    I spoke to a workshop and they said that they can currently have in stock a BT45 for the front and a BT39 rear. I know the BT are a good tyre bu wold it be bad fitting two different models? They only have slightly differing tread pattern but similar profile.

Also, they only had Chinese tubes in stock for that size at the moment, are these a bad idea? And if so, whats a good quality tube to run on them

I've had 6 or 7 Scorpios (I buy write offs, all crashed on stock nylon tyres) and have never had the gearbox slip.
    Have you had the oil changed recently?
    The bike has just recently had full B service at Red Baron prior to me purchasing it. Since its only a slip in 5th does that mean it must be a gearbox thing and not clutch?

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
    I spoke to a workshop and they said that they can currently have in stock a BT45 for the front and a BT39 rear. I know the BT are a good tyre bu wold it be bad fitting two different models? They only have slightly differing tread pattern but similar profile.

Also, they only had Chinese tubes in stock for that size at the moment, are these a bad idea? And if so, whats a good quality tube to run on them

The bike has just recently had full B service at Red Baron prior to me purchasing it. Since its only a slip in 5th does that mean it must be a gearbox thing and not clutch?
    The workshop is trying to sell you shit they have in stock, because it's easier and or they make more money. Specify the lasertecs in the sizes above, they can have them in overnight. If not, go elsewhere.

I don't know anything about tubes.

Sounds like a gearbox issue but it's not anything i've ever run into before.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    Yamaha Scorpio 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigadee View Post
    Scorpio Owner's Manual if you need it...

Thank you Tigadee!

Bike
    A fast one
    You won't regret fitting the lasertecs, they work really well as you can see. Great in the wet too. Run them fairly low cos the bike is light. 24f, 26r if you're 80kgish.

Wow I must be running my tyres high. I'm running 29f 30r and I'm 75kgs.

Recommendations on where to get lasertecs in Auckland? Preferably somewhere that can fit them too.

Cheers

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The End View Post
    Speaking about the bars...I adjusted the position of the bars on the weekend. Lowered/bent them down more and I noticed a huge difference in handling. I have the stock tyres and still had chicken strips on the very edge of the tyre. After 15 minutes of riding around with the new bar position they were gone.
    Then leave them in that position. If YOU feel more comfortable with the bike ... with them there.

Definitely preferred the lower bar angle comfort wise, but the bike was leaning over so much more (seemed like it anyways) and the tyres were right on the edge of slipping out hence I changed the position back.
    Change them back for the reason given above.

I've done 11,000 kms on the stock tyres and can honestly say I haven't had any 'slippery' issues with them prior to changing the bar position. Will be up for new rubber soon and will probably go with the lazertecs.
    Ability and experience of the rider plays a BIG part on what can be achieved on stock tyres. And both play a BIG part in how a bike is ridden.

Overall I've enjoyed the bike a lot. The only issue I have had with it is the slow battery drain after a few days.
    An auto sparky could get that checked/fixed in a short time. Do it soon ... before it becomes a BIG issue.

And check tyre pressures when they are warm. Not when they are cold ... before you leave home. And keep checking them. The greatest ongoing expense of motorcycling is tyres. Look after them.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    2007 ktm 300exc
    Mike Old at Dury performance tires should be able to get what you want and they do a great job including fitting, always busy with bikes from old 60's Triumphs to modern sports bikes.

Bike
    A fast one
    Getting the 90/90 H18 front and 110/90 H18 rear fitted as I type this. Will see how much smoother they are than stock very soon!

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Wow I must be running my tyres high. I'm running 29f 30r and I'm 75kgs.

Recommendations on where to get lasertecs in Auckland? Preferably somewhere that can fit them too.

Cheers
    You can get them from any bike shop. They won't have them in stock but they all come from the same place. Ring around for a few prices inc fitting.

Quoted pressures are for the lasertecs, not the stock "tyres".

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    HONDA EXPRESS
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Ability and experience of the rider plays a BIG part on what can be achieved on stock tyres. And both play a BIG part in how a bike is ridden.

No disrespect but you're full of shit on this occasion. As a general statement you're not far off.

The stock "tyres" are nylon. We're not talking about a set of OEM Bridgestones on a new GSXR here. These stock rim protectors are downright dangerous, rather than less than ideal. Yamaha NZ, or whoever is importing them, should never allow these bikes to be released into the wild like this.

www.PhotoRecall.co.nz

Bike
    A fast one
    Getting the 90/90 H18 front and 110/90 H18 rear fitted as I type this. Will see how much smoother they are than stock very soon!
    I have to admit, I am thoroughly impressed with the lasertecs. They feel so much more planted in the corners and are so much more predictable than the stock IRC tyres. Wish I'd done this sooner!

Thread Information